E-Bay Irish Whistle 'Blarney'

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
kevin m.
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

E-Bay Irish Whistle 'Blarney'

Post by kevin m. »

Your chance to own a genuine Irish whistle played by me dear auld grandfather back in da auld country,though me heart bleeds to part with it,etc etc...........
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBaylSAPl.dll? ... tegory=308

AND a starting price of ONLY £10!!! :roll:
"I blame it on those Lead Fipples y'know."
IDAwHOa
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

As much as I HATE to bump this thread, here is a link that works:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 3714538996
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
glauber

Post by glauber »

:lol:
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
glauber

Post by glauber »

I'm laughing, but what if this is one of those good Generations that people keep talking about? They say those are priceless! :o

Plus, do you think there's a chance this one has been blessed by the little people?
--Wellsprings--
emmline

Post by emmline »

Note that this whistle is "very old." Back in the days when they had to carve the head from the bark of a pvc tree.
glauber

Post by glauber »

Hmm... looked again, and from the description and the shape of what you can see of the head, it seems to have been "handmade" in the Feadog factory, not Generation.
--Wellsprings--
mcfeeley

Post by mcfeeley »

Yep, looks like a Feadog. Here's a pic of the whistle.

Hmmm . . . the description said it was played by the seller's great grandfather. *My* great grandfather lived during the early 1900's, probably would have played one of those lead fipples. :lol:

Maybe this is a question for Jerry Freeman, or other whistle historians -- when did manufacturers start using plastic for whistle heads?
-- Dan M.

There beside the weed and thistle, a man, a dog, and his tin whistle.
kevin m.

Post by kevin m. »

Thanks for providing the correct link Steve.
I agree with Glauber that it looks like a Feadog.
As far as the history of plastic headpieces is concerned-possibly 1950's? :-?
I have several older Generation and Gen. type models from perhaps turn of the 20th century through to maybe early 30's(?).These all have Lead fipples.
I thought that I'd read in John Glatt's book 'The Chieftains' that Paddy Moloney played a plastic or Cellulose whistle as a child (1940's),but on checking,his first whistle is just described as a "white tinwhistle with a red top",which could just as easily be of all tin construction.
You would think that Barnes and Mullins-the makers of 'Generation' whistles- would be pleased to share the history of their instruments with a bunch of Whistle enthuisiasts. :sniffle:
Steven

Re: E-Bay Irish Whistle 'Blarney'

Post by Steven »

kevin m. wrote:AND a starting price of ONLY £10!!! :roll:
Yes, but the reserve is not yet met! This guy really thinks he has something valuable here. He clearly doesn't know the difference between sentimental value and monetary value!

:lol:
Steven
Steven

Post by Steven »

mcfeeley wrote:Hmmm . . . the description said it was played by the seller's great grandfather. *My* great grandfather lived during the early 1900's, probably would have played one of those lead fipples. :lol:

Maybe this is a question for Jerry Freeman, or other whistle historians -- when did manufacturers start using plastic for whistle heads?
To be fair, he never said WHEN old great-grandpappy played this whistle. He could have gotten it as an old man, after playing other whistles most of his life. Coulda been right before the seller got it, 20 years ago.

As for the brand, notice the seller never says it's a Generation. He says it was passed down through the generations. That's different.

:-)
Steven
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Steven wrote:
As for the brand, notice the seller never says it's a Generation. He says it was passed down through the generations. That's different.
Sure is. What I think he means is that whenever someone goes down the line of whistles, whenever they get to this one they put it straight down again and move on to the next Generation. :P
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

It is obviously a Feadog and the seller is either a liar or an idiot.
~JessieD
ChrisLaughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

Awesome! I've been looking for one of these. Consider it mine!!!!

I'm going to have to raise some funds for this though.
Is anyone interested in buying an Olwell D flute in blackwood, Overtons in D, Bb, A, low F, low D, or Sindts in Eb, D, C, Bb and A?

Chris
IDAwHOa
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

Oh, Oh, me, me, I'll take the A and F Overton. I'll offer you.... Gee, how much should I offer a person that would bid on that whistle. How about a bridge, yeah, that's it, a bridge. Will you take a bridge for those two whistles?
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
kevin m.

Post by kevin m. »

Would that be a Guitar bridge or a river spanning type bridge Steve?
If it's the latter,I have two Feadog mark 1's that I'm prepared to swap for Dublin's Ha'penny bridge and the return of London bridge from the U.S.A.
Not quite sure where to put them though! :-?