does this translate

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
jenaceae
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

does this translate

Post by jenaceae »

I am taking my first lesson next week from a woman who plays the small and the Highland pipes. My goal is to learn Uilleann. Will this translate eventually? In other words, will I be able to translate what i've learned on the small pipes to uilleann when I find the right teacher, get the right set up? Does it matter what chanter I begin on?

cheers

Jenn
oh, and if there are possible pitfalls in this trategy, what might those be? Its all a matter of lack of funds AND time.
tommykleen
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

beep...beep...beep

(the sound of the truck backing up, full of responses from other listees about dump on you all the reasons you should not pursue this route if you ultimately want to learn uilleann pipes.)

t
fancypiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fancypiper »

They are two different beasts entirely.

Small and GHBs play 9 notes (one octave plus a flatted 7th below the tonic) and the UPs have two octaves. Fingerings and gracings are entirely different.

Get a whistle, learn some tunes and build up your chest and shoulder muscles while you wait for your practice set from your pipemaker to arrive.

See the FAQ FAQ FAQ for more and better advice.
vanfleet
Tell us something.: I play a full set of Seth Gallagher uilleann pipes, have been taking lessons, listening, and practicing since 1983. Teachers have included Bill Ochs, and David Power.

strategy?

Post by vanfleet »

Jenaceae wrote:
if there are possible pitfalls in this trategy, what might those be? Its all a matter of lack of funds AND time.
Now that misspelled word could be strategy, or could it be tragedy? TommyK is right, you've come to the right place for a truckload of advice, mostly discouraging at this point. But I only want to reply to one of your comments; if you really do have a "lack of time" to devote to piping, you should consider your course carefully! Learning the UPs takes a *lot* of time and effort, and I assume the same would be true for Highland, Lowland, great or small pipes . . .

Those many of us trying to start learning the UPs in "midlife" (I'm 46, and I know FancyPiper has me beat) feel the strong tide of time pulling against us; if it takes 21 years to become a piper, we had best cut right to the chase!
fel bautista

Re: strategy?

Post by fel bautista »

vanfleet wrote:...if it takes 21 years to become a piper, we had best cut right to the chase!
Its not 21 years anymore. It is actually 28 years , since you have to now add "7 years waiting for your pipes" to the saying. :D
djm

Post by djm »

That quote from Séamus Ennis about the 21 years to learn the UPs gets taken out of context a lot. You have to take into account the year that the quote comes from, and realize that those are 21 years in imperial measurements. To convert this to metric, you have to mulitply it by the weight of Royce's bag-sealing compound and then divide by the price of airfare to Willie Week, and only then do you add the seven years waiting for your set to be built. :D

djm
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

I am begining to feel REALLY old now...better have another shot of GERITOL and a good cry... that is, if my dear ducts still work at this age...sigh... if I could only lacrimate. :D
snoogie

Post by snoogie »

djm wrote:That quote from Séamus Ennis about the 21 years to learn the UPs gets taken out of context a lot. You have to take into account the year that the quote comes from, and realize that those are 21 years in imperial measurements. To convert this to metric, you have to mulitply it by the weight of Royce's bag-sealing compound and then divide by the price of airfare to Willie Week, and only then do you add the seven years waiting for your set to be built. :D

djm
I thought it was actually 3 years, the 21 years being counted in "piper" years. Similar to "dog" years at a rate of 7 to 1.

I've only been playing for 5 months and my family already feels like its been years! :lol: :lol: :lol:
There is no try, only do or not do. - Yoda
oleorezinator
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes I love tin whistles I love flutes I love irish music I love concertinas I love bodhrans

Post by oleorezinator »

the hand placement will be the same and the basic theory of using the bag, i.e. what happens when you need to fill the bag.
Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love.
Love is not music. Music is the best.
- Frank Zappa
phcook

Post by phcook »

Just curious

Why don't you begin directly with UP?

Philippe
Breizh soner
jenaceae

Post by jenaceae »

Thanks to those that gave me constructive advice/opinions. My time issue has to do with getting off my butt and finding a teacher that I can afford, making an appointment, assessing whether I can afford to add yet another teacher, etc... I was hoping to take a few lessons while I was searching for a teacher-unless I found out through the above post that it didn't really matter what type of chanter you practiced on for the first 6 months. I still don't quite know the answer to that except that if I plant to play UP I should just start that way. For the moment, its just a little easier said than done.

So here is another question: I live in the Berkeley, California area. Any rcommendations for good UP teacher for the beginner?

thanks

Jenn
jenaceae

Post by jenaceae »

oh dang! I just read fancypiper's note. so now I have concrete details about the differences.

cheers to everyone.

Jenn
Patrick D'Arcy

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

jenaceae wrote:So here is another question: I live in the Berkeley, California area. Any rcommendations for good UP teacher for the beginner?

thanks

Jenn
You should contact the San Francisco Pipers Club. They'll be able to hook you up with someone. Their website address is:

http://www.katzwerk.com/sfpipers/

Gluck!

Patrick.
Royce

Re: does this translate

Post by Royce »

jenaceae wrote:I am taking my first lesson next week from a woman who plays the small and the Highland pipes. My goal is to learn Uilleann. Will this translate eventually? In other words, will I be able to translate what i've learned on the small pipes to uilleann when I find the right teacher, get the right set up? Does it matter what chanter I begin on?

cheers

Jenn
oh, and if there are possible pitfalls in this trategy, what might those be? Its all a matter of lack of funds AND time.
If you're that broke and short of time, the chanter you start with should say, "Generation" have a blue plastic cap on it, and be pitched in D.

Royce
fel bautista

Post by fel bautista »

Feadogin- where are you?? - someone needs to find an Uilleann piping teacher near Berkeley. I want to know as well. I could cop a lesson when I go see my daughter at CAL. Pat D'Arcy's comment is well taken- check the San Francisco Pipers Club.

Go Bears!!!