Poll: How many pipers do not use a computer to learn music?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
lemonsquash
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Poll: How many pipers do not use a computer to learn music?

Post by lemonsquash »

Just wondering....
Joseph E. Smith
antispam: No

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

I choose to sight read and learn by ear. For some reason or another, I get really distracted by reading ABC format. Perhaps it is a genetic shortcoming.
djm

Post by djm »

I use a computer constantly to help me learn by ear. Using slow-down software lets me pick up great versions of tunes by great players. I can't read ABC, and I'm very slow at dots.

djm
giles b

Post by giles b »

get off the computer and play your pipes!!!
Bill Reeder

Post by Bill Reeder »

djm wrote:I use a computer constantly to help me learn by ear. Using slow-down software lets me pick up great versions of tunes by great players. I can't read ABC, and I'm very slow at dots.djm
My computer has been a great tool for learning the music especially since I'm rarely around other pipers. I haven't purchased a tunebook since I became reasonably proficient at transcription and abc notation, and I can sight read abc notation as well or better than standard music notation. But, the computer and the associated software are just tools and a means to an end - and I'm a better musician and piper today than I would have been had these tools not been available. However, I still have to strap on the pipes every day to make it all work out.
Bill

"... you discover that everything is just right: the drones steady and sonorous, the regulators crisp and tuneful and the chanter sweet and responsive. ... I really look forward to those five or six days every year." Robbie Hannan
eskin

Post by eskin »

I learn most of my tunes entirely by ear using Transcribe! to slow down recordings as well as shift tunings as required. For example, its the perfect tool to use to work out the tunes on Mick O'Brien's B-flat set by slowing down the tune and shifting the pitch to C or D.

I'm not a big fan of ABC player software for learning piping tunes. I do think they have their use, for example, for practicing DADGAD backup on guitar. Its hard to find unaccompanied recordings of tune sets to use for backup practice.
elbogo

Post by elbogo »

I have found that what's best for me is trying to play by reading the dots,
getting proficient at reading notation in tunebooks, which helps me learn the tune as well, and getting the finger-eye coordination... then trying to
listen to the tune as much as I can, so it sticks.

Then keep at it, hopefully until I'll be able to play a tune by listening to it.

Hopefully.

Can't do the computer and play at the same time.
Davey

hmph!

Post by Davey »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:I choose to sight read and learn by ear. For some reason or another, I get really distracted by reading ABC format. Perhaps it is a genetic shortcoming.
..genetic shortcoming... :roll: ...this coming from one of the most musically gifted people I've ever known...didn't you once identify the key signature of one of my farts? ...I seem to recall a table with guinness pints, jameson...nope...that's all I remember!
The Sporting Pitchfork
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by The Sporting Pitchfork »

No computers for me. My ears work fine, thank you very much.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Davey wrote: ..genetic shortcoming... ...this coming from one of the most musically gifted people I've ever known...didn't you once identify the key signature of one of my farts? ...I seem to recall a table with guinness pints, jameson...nope...that's all I remember!

To be honest, I'm a little foggy (no pun intended) on that one. But I DO remember the Guinness and the Jameson somewhat, perhaps the severity of said flatuation has had a lasting effect on my decidedly rusty memory banks...wait a minute...wasn't it Ab? :shock:
djm

Post by djm »

giles b wrote:get off the computer and play your pipes!!!
Gee, that's so much more comfortable. My back feels better, now.

Thx,

djm
Ailin

Post by Ailin »

I play within arm's length of the stereo where I can easily access the minidisc and CD player to listen to and play along with and am far away from any computer. In short I learn by ear with the printed music nearby to help with some of the notes I just can't pick up. Some of that printed music does come from the computer though as well as ideas on new tunes to learn, such as from Clips & Snips.

Ailin
jqpublick

Post by jqpublick »

I spent so much time running from the computer to the stereo to the pipes and back (with twice-hourly bathroom breaks) that I've decided to cut out all the unnecessary steps, which would be me.

So.

Here's what I've done;

1) the CD/minidisc arcology is connected via a simple set of cables to;

2) the computer, which reads the music, translates it into fully thirty-five thousand different tuning and notating systems and decides with lickety-split timing which one to use;

3) packages that information into a lump so simple even mainland Chinese dissidents get the tune on the first go and sends it on to (and here's the tricky bit)

4) a system of valves, gears, cogs, pressure-tubes and caltrops that imitates fairly accurately the playing and post-playing attitudes of modern pipers.

Needless to say, these valves, etc, actually play the pipes, while I, freed once again by science to not pursue my cherished personal goals, am able to sit in happy joy amidst the beauty that is the musique irlandaise.

Mark

P.S. Anyone interested in purchasing this simple, collapsable and hermetically sealed package can feel free to contact me privately here in my secret laboratory near the center of the earth.
djm

Post by djm »

My God! Its the evil and nefarious Dr. Fogbottom and his heinous invention, the Calliope of Death! :o

djm
fancypiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fancypiper »

I have my entire CD collection encoded to ogg format on my hard drive (plus all the good mp3, real audio, etc downloads I have found on the internet) and one output of my sound card is plugged into my stereo, most tunes (hopefully soon to be all as I am transferring all my tapes and vinyls as well) in a playlist that I can easily search and play a tune I want. Most of the time, it runs random play, nice background music to drift off to sleep with. Hopefully I can learn some of the tunes in my sleep as sometimes new (to me) tunes will show up under my fingers on the whistle without me trying to learn them. Sadly, none have appeared without effort on the pipes yet.

I have all my favorite pipers (that I can afford CDs of) right there, so I definately use the computer in learning my pipes, whistles, bodhran, bones, etc. It is handier than a bent nail and I couldn't stand not having it..

I used to have a life, now I have bagpipes, a computer and a modem..