Do you play an open high D?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Borderpiper
antispam: No

Do you play an open high D?

Post by Borderpiper »

The guy who taught me was a great player but tended not to use open high Ds except when doing crans on them or when it was held, giving a better tone. Now I have got my first expensive whistle, an Abell D, I have found certain sequences sound purer and have less crossing noises if I play an open D and E. I have spent the last two weeks training myself to do them when it sounds better but it is hard work as I never really did it when I was learning. Has anyone else had this experience and is the change of technique worth it?

Dave
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

I have always played the second octave d like OXXXXX, except for in really fast passages. Yes, it does make a difference in tone and is worth doing.
~JessieD
Borderpiper

Post by Borderpiper »

I've been putting it in for fast passages too, hence the hard work. I've also been putting in an open E (oXXXXo) for some passages, ie in custy's (Am) the following phrase:

|~A3 GAc|dec deg|

What do you think?
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

No, I would not do that with the e.
~JessieD
FJohnSharp
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

My whistles won't let me do that with the E.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
Bretton
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistle for a very long time, but never seem to get any better than I was about 10 years ago. I'm okay with that. :)

Post by Bretton »

I actually find on many whistles that the closed D (xxx xxx) is more in tune, but the open D (oxx xxx) has a more projecting tone. The open D is great for ornamenting the note (cuts or crans) since it actually drops the tone down instead of raising it as usual...comes out very crisp and poppy on most whistles too.

-Brett
fancypiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fancypiper »

All the whistles I use, I have always fingered octave D closed, except on slow airs where I need vibrato.

I wish all my whistles had the same fingering for the 3rd octave D. :boggle:
peeplj
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by peeplj »

I always play second octave D with the first finger up (o x x | x x x) on all my flutes and whistles, unless I'm going for a "hard D" on flute, which calls for all fingers to be down irregardless of which octave.

By the way, just about every whistle I've ever tried will give a good clean third octave D with (o x x | o o o) although sometimes it will sound less shrill to overblow the 2nd octave D (o x x | x x x).

--James
Jeferson

Post by Jeferson »

Whistle make makes a big difference. I do it on the high D, but not E, except in one complicated tune (a fun Dave Brubeck jazz one!) in which I play the high E open, too. For me, it works well on my Dixon Bb... making it some other note I guess, not high E, but fingered OXXXXO.

Jef
Borderpiper

Post by Borderpiper »

On my Abell if you play an open E - oxxxxo after an open D it stays stable, in tune and gives the same difference as the open D does compared to the closed. You can only really do it from the D but it sounds really nice. I have been throwing it in in jigs and occasionally reels. I just wanted to know if anyone else has the same experience.

I don't do it on my other D whistle (an old tweaked feadog with a tweaked generation brass body) as it sounds as good open or closed.
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

I think doing that on the e is a bad habit to get into.
~JessieD
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

Vented 2nd octave "E" is a touch flat on my Dixons (D and Bb), Walton's C, and Sweetone D (all the whistles I have with me at the moment).

I play either vented or unvented "D" depending on the tune - for most fast tunes I leave the top hole closed, but if the "D" will be sustained I open the vent. Really varies by tune, though. In "The Ballydesmond Polka #2" from my Walton's 101, the opening sequence is:

C# d C# B C# B

I go from cross-fingered C# to vented D and back, then do the next 3 as B, half-holed C#, B - then for the rest of the A part of the tune I stick with unvented D. Just seems to play better that way.

I do think that the vented D sounds better on all my whistles, but the difference is fairly small with most of them.
Last edited by DCrom on Fri Mar 26, 2004 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fancypiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fancypiper »

peeplj wrote:By the way, just about every whistle I've ever tried will give a good clean third octave D with (o x x | o o o) although sometimes it will sound less shrill to overblow the 2nd octave D (o x x | x x x).
I have one whistle that is in tune with that. I have to use that plus:
Clarke orig design D black: OXX OXX
Clarke orig design D unpainted: OXX OXO
Burke brass pro D: OXX OOX
depending upon what whistle I am playing.

I can't remember offhand what my low whistles take, but the above 3 fingerings, I have to remember to get in tune. Fortunately, I only have about 3 tunes that use it.
Last edited by fancypiper on Fri Mar 26, 2004 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
talasiga

to all posters here

Post by talasiga »

:adminok:
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

JessieK wrote:I have always played the second octave d like OXXXXX, except for in really fast passages. Yes, it does make a difference in tone and is worth doing.
I agree-- with practice, it's not hard, and the sound is a LOT cleaner and crisper on most whistles.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!