Whistle advice for a poor lost soul

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
GeoMan
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by GeoMan »

Sorry, didn't mean to post that reply twice :oops:
bigjake842

Re: Whistle advice for a poor lost soul

Post by bigjake842 »

GeoMan wrote:Ok -- I'm sure everyone has heard from someone like me a few hundred times, and that there's probably been a thread before with the same topic, so if thats the case, I apologize in advace.

That being said, here we go:

I'm looking into buying a higher quality whistle than the Sweetones, Waltons, etc. I have laying around my house. Probably one in D or Eb, preferably tunable. I've read over the whistle guides on this site, and I'm fairly familiar with many whistle makers, but I haven't had the opportunity to hear many of their whistles played in person, so I figured I'd ask the people who have. :) I'm looking for something with a pure tone, very sweet... not much breathyness, and not a major wind requirement. Also, I'm not sure that I want to shell out the cash for, say, a Copeland or Thin Weasel quite yet -- but anything up to about $130 is reasonable for now.

Is this making a particular whistle jump out in anyone's mind?

Matt
I just bought a Burke Brass Pro D--and it's fantastic. Relatively easy to play, spot-on tuning, nice bright sound.

Just my 2 cents!
bigjake842

Re: Whistle advice for a poor lost soul

Post by bigjake842 »

GeoMan wrote:Ok -- I'm sure everyone has heard from someone like me a few hundred times, and that there's probably been a thread before with the same topic, so if thats the case, I apologize in advace.

That being said, here we go:

I'm looking into buying a higher quality whistle than the Sweetones, Waltons, etc. I have laying around my house. Probably one in D or Eb, preferably tunable. I've read over the whistle guides on this site, and I'm fairly familiar with many whistle makers, but I haven't had the opportunity to hear many of their whistles played in person, so I figured I'd ask the people who have. :) I'm looking for something with a pure tone, very sweet... not much breathyness, and not a major wind requirement. Also, I'm not sure that I want to shell out the cash for, say, a Copeland or Thin Weasel quite yet -- but anything up to about $130 is reasonable for now.

Is this making a particular whistle jump out in anyone's mind?

Matt
I just bought a Burke Brass Pro D--and it's fantastic. Relatively easy to play, spot-on tuning, nice bright sound.

Just my 2 cents!
jonharl

Post by jonharl »

Sindt's are the way to go if you've got the time to wait. I love my Sindt's. However a whistle that's very similar in CPVC is a Humphrey's Retro-fit head. Very pure and a lot like a Sindt in manufacture and sound. You can PM him, his handle is raindog1970.
JessieK
antispam: No

Post by JessieK »

GeoMan wrote:I've also been recommended to Chieftains (Tunable/non - $120/$105, respectively). Any thoughts on these?
They are loud, not often pure but kind of hissy at times, and unreliably tuned. Whoever recommended them to you either did not take into account what you are looking for, or has not played another make of whistle.
~JessieD
HDSarah
antispam: No

another option to consider

Post by HDSarah »

I recently asked a very similar question. You may want to read the responses I got on this thread:
http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php?t=18299
I ended up getting a Silkstone tunable D and I'm very happy with it. It cost $105 from the Whistleshop: see
http://www.thewhistleshop.com/catalog/w ... lkston.htm
They have them in stock and ship right away, so there's no wait.

Good luck! I hope you find the perfect whistle for you! :)

Sarah
ICE JAM: "dam" good music that won't leave you cold. Check out our CD at http://cdbaby.com/cd/icejam
Ridseard

Post by Ridseard »

Geoman, whereabouts are you in SW Virginia? I live in northwest Forsyth Co., NC., not far from Surry and Stokes counties. Maybe we could meet at some intermediate location near the VA border, and you could try out my Burkes.

'Geoman' is an interesting name. You aren't by any chance into geocaching, are you?
Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

Redwolf wrote:Elf Song. Pure, sweet, low breath requirements, little chiff, and you can have your choice of copper or brass, plain or painted in one of any number of lovely designs. And the price is right at $75.
www.elfsongwhistles.com
Redwolf
Sigh. I'm nearly 6 weeks into my 8-10 week queue in the Elf Song waiting list. Time goes sooooooo slowly. But I know it will be worth the wait.
Lawrence
"Well, Scotty, now you've done it!" - McCoy
"Aye. The haggis is in the fire for sure." - Scotty
GeoMan

Post by GeoMan »

Ridseard, I live in Botetourt Co, Va-- just outside Roanoke. Not exactly a location packed to the brim with whistlers, but we hold our own. :D I've never had a chance to do any geocaching, although I've seen it done and it looks pretty interesting(I'm sure crashing through the woods or whatnot with a GPS would be fun for anyone, lol).

The name comes from the fact that I'm a Geology major at Virginia Tech here in grand ole Blacksburg -- home of the Hokies.

I'd be nice to find some other whistlers in this town though. :(