Whistle advice for a poor lost soul

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
GeoMan
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Whistle advice for a poor lost soul

Post by GeoMan »

Ok -- I'm sure everyone has heard from someone like me a few hundred times, and that there's probably been a thread before with the same topic, so if thats the case, I apologize in advace.

That being said, here we go:

I'm looking into buying a higher quality whistle than the Sweetones, Waltons, etc. I have laying around my house. Probably one in D or Eb, preferably tunable. I've read over the whistle guides on this site, and I'm fairly familiar with many whistle makers, but I haven't had the opportunity to hear many of their whistles played in person, so I figured I'd ask the people who have. :) I'm looking for something with a pure tone, very sweet... not much breathyness, and not a major wind requirement. Also, I'm not sure that I want to shell out the cash for, say, a Copeland or Thin Weasel quite yet -- but anything up to about $130 is reasonable for now.

Is this making a particular whistle jump out in anyone's mind?

Matt
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Three whistles come immediately to mind: Syn D, Hoover Whitecap D, and Burke.

Syn plays in some ways like a louder Oak: moderate volume, very pure tone, some chiff, well balanced between octaves, can take some aggressive play.

Here's a Syn: http://www.flutesite.com/samples/jig_slurs_syn.mp3

Hoover Whitecap is a very pure whistle with some bite in its tone. Plays easily into the 3rd octave. This is a "just breathe into it" whistle.

Here's a Whistecap on an Oak tube:
http://www.flutesite.com/samples/alexanders_wc.mp3

Burke comes in just under your price limit, but combines a very pure tone, easy and clear 3rd register, with the ability to take aggressive play. It's also a "just breathe" whistle but you can also get a little more aggressive if you want.

Here's a Burke brass pro narrow bore: http://www.flutesite.com/samples/sallyburke.mp3

--James
FJohnSharp
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

I have a Burke ($120 + $10 shipping) and love it. Probably should go with a D first as it's the standard.

Some people love the Sindt's too for around $80.
Zubivka

Re: Whistle advice for a poor lost soul

Post by Zubivka »

GeoMan wrote:I'm looking for something with a pure tone, very sweet... not much breathyness, and not a major wind requirement. Also, I'm not sure that I want to shell out the cash for, say, a Copeland or Thin Weasel quite yet -- but anything up to about $130 is reasonable for now.

Is this making a particular whistle jump out in anyone's mind?
Pure?
Sweet?
Minimal breath requirement?
Reasonable, not high end price?

Alba Q1--see http://bigwhistle.co.uk/shop_results.as ... ble=2&cat=*

AFAIK it's not tunable, but I'd inquire with the maker.
tomcat
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Used to live in Gilbert, AZ which is a suburb of Phoenix. Recently moved to Portland OR. Argh. Not sure if this is meeting the requirement of number of characters, but I'm trying.

Post by tomcat »

great icon zubby....

imho, the hoover whitecap is hard to beat for the money. amazing how it improves a whistle. of course, the whistle you'll looking for, will probaly be the one after your next one.......and the next one.....and the next one. beware of the slippery slope!
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

Pure, sweet, not a high breath requirement. This describes a Sindt. A Burke has a bit of a rounder tone, not breathy, but more so than a Sindt.
~JessieD
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Alba Q1 is quite good, but it's not what I'd call a pure-toned whistle; it has a very traditional, warm sound with good chiff and a lot of character.

Here's a Q1: http://www.flutesite.com/samples/glassbeer.mp3

It's also a very soft, non-tunable whistle designed to let you practice without disturbing family / neighbors...it's sound isn't designed to project, carry, or cut through. In fact, you just about can't hear it outside the room you're playing it in.

The Q1 is a responsive, stable, fun whistle to play. It's a great whistle.

--James
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

I'd strongly recommend a Burke black tip (exposed delrin fipple) soprano D. It meets your stated requirements, is a wonderful whistle with respect to tone, playability, comfort, and has IMHO a stronger improved bottom end as compared to earlier Burkes.

Regards,

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

The only drawback to a Sindt is that there is a waiting list of about 9 months to get one. But what a whistle. I brought mine to my lesson shortly after I got it and my teacher didn't put it down until I had to go. I left it with him for a week and he offered to buy it from me for $100. Jessie's description above is right on.
Mike
dfoster

Post by dfoster »

I will add my vote for the Burke AL high D with the delrin fipple. I have had mine almost a year and I still really like the way it plays and sounds. The one drawback is that it does not take much air to push it to the second register. I compensate for this by letting some air leak out the side of my mouth.

The music store where I got mine (Family Tree Music in Springboro, OH) had it in stock so I did not have to wait.

Dayna
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

Elf Song. Pure, sweet, low breath requirements, little chiff, and you can have your choice of copper or brass, plain or painted in one of any number of lovely designs. And the price is right at $75.

www.elfsongwhistles.com

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
GeoMan

Post by GeoMan »

Thanks for the feedback, everyone... I'll be checking those out. I've also been recommended to Chieftains (Tunable/non - $120/$105, respectively). Any thoughts on these?
lixnaw

Post by lixnaw »

Hils

Elfsong

Post by Hils »

I agree with Redwolf. However, in my humble opinion, the new Elfsong brass D or D/C combination with delrin fipple plug is even better than the copper ones with oak fipple plug. When I first got mine I did not have to get used to it I just started playing it. Any other whistles I had to get used to first before I could blast out a tune, but not this new one. Good luck.
GeoMan

Post by GeoMan »

Thanks for the feedback, everyone... I'll be checking those out. I've also been recommended to Chieftains (Tunable/non - $120/$105, respectively). Any thoughts on these?