Fun stuff

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
James Connelly

Fun stuff

Post by James Connelly »

I know you've all read about the discovery of the Neanderthal flute. (1996, 43,000 to 82,000 years old in Sloven, made from the femur of a cave bear). Well just for fun I would like to make one. I would want it to play too. I don't have a cave bear femur, but around here we have deer, turkey, cows, and there's a buffalo park where they sale buffalo steaks maybe I could get a leg bone from them. I need to know the hole size, spacing etc. which animal bone would be best (I hope it's the buffalo) and how to prepar the bone (its fresh) Maybe someone has already done this (besides the Neanderthal) I don't want a nice, finished flute, but a real bone flute. The Neaanderthal look also fits my skill level. E-mail me the info, serious enquires only!!
CHIFF FIPPLE
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Fun stuff

Post by CHIFF FIPPLE »

James Connelly wrote: Maybe someone has already done this (besides the Neanderthal) I don't want a nice, finished flute, but a real bone flute. The Neaanderthal look also fits my skill level. E-mail me the info, serious enquires only!!
Bear's more to this then Meats the eye.
To think that just because it was done long ago makes it easy now is Folly
ImageStacey has the most bodacious fipples! & Message board
http://whistlenstrings.invisionzone.com ... t=0&p=3303&
TelegramSam

Post by TelegramSam »

I know in South America they traditionally made quenas out of the femurs of llamas or people (maybe a trip to the neighborhood morgue? :P). I've never seen a bone whistle though.
<i>The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.</i>
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

TelegramSam wrote:I know in South America they traditionally made quenas out of the femurs of llamas or people (maybe a trip to the neighborhood morgue? :P).
Sam,

Maybe you should become a whistlesmith - your first product could be the Hannibal Lechter model.
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

An interesting article here:

http://www.exploratorium.edu/aaas-2000/ ... lutes.html

And I think this page: http://www.primitiveways.com/boneflute.html

is a taster for what's in the book/CD on the primitiveways.com front page...not sure.

hth
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
vomitbunny
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by vomitbunny »

Is a bone whistle the same as a.......ah.....never mind.
My opinion is stupid and wrong.
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

vomitbunny wrote:Is a bone whistle the same as a.......ah.....never mind.
Bad boy! Bad, bad boy!
/Bloomfield
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

On further reflection, I reckon the bone flute would require a fair amount of trial and error where hole-placement is concerned. The bore's not going to be true, neither cylindrical nor conical, and wall thickness will doubtless be variable as well. That'd pretty much throw out all the 'standard' calculations (such as the flutomat, for example).

I remember reading an article about the Chinese bone flutes they found, some of which were still playable. The article mentioned a small hole or two drilled near the tone-holes to correct for pitch on certain notes.

I do think your most likely source would be 'survivalist' type publications (with no disrespect to those whose passion is "going primitive"), especially where 'treatment' of the bone to render it (pardon the pun) suitable for use as a tool (in this case, an instrument).

And Vomitbunny, don't be rood!
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

Bloomfield wrote:
vomitbunny wrote:Is a bone whistle the same as a.......ah.....never mind.
Bad boy! Bad, bad boy!
I had to double check the author. I thought it was Amar!
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

I think you have an interesting idea, but I don't think current hole size and spacing will be sufficient (unless you get a bone in the perfect bore size of a modern tinwhistle). It'll be all trial and error and it'll never be totally in tune with anything modern.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
whamlyn

Post by whamlyn »

I've never seen a bone whistle though.
I've got a track of Paul McGratten playing a whistle made from the fin-bone of a whale. Too cool...

All the best,
Wes
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

blackhawk wrote:I think you have an interesting idea, but I don't think current hole size and spacing will be sufficient (unless you get a bone in the perfect bore size of a modern tinwhistle). It'll be all trial and error and it'll never be totally in tune with anything modern.
So, you don't think a bone whistle/flute could have a tuning slide?
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

Darwin wrote:
blackhawk wrote:I think you have an interesting idea, but I don't think current hole size and spacing will be sufficient (unless you get a bone in the perfect bore size of a modern tinwhistle). It'll be all trial and error and it'll never be totally in tune with anything modern.
So, you don't think a bone whistle/flute could have a tuning slide?
No reason it couldn't, other than there'd be a lot of machining necessary and I'd expect that you'd ruin more than a few bones trying to do it. Plus the more you fiddle with it, the less it'll have the primitive look the thread starter wants. Actually, I wonder how much machining you'd have to do in the name of uniform wall thickness.
BoneQuint

Post by BoneQuint »

I'd love a bone whistle too. If the buffalo park can get you bones, maybe you could give me a contact for them? I'd like to get rib bones, if possible, I've never tried Buffalo, but I hear they work well.
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

BoneQuint wrote:I'd love a bone whistle too. If the buffalo park can get you bones, maybe you could give me a contact for them? I'd like to get rib bones, if possible, I've never tried Buffalo, but I hear they work well.
Are the rib bones hollow?