Looking for Mrs Crotty and nonchieftains Tubridy

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
MurphyStout
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Looking for Mrs Crotty and nonchieftains Tubridy

Post by MurphyStout »

Last summer in the Miltown Malbay library I saw a cd of the music of Elizabeth Crotty from Clare and was dying to hear it but unfortunatly I had to pick up my laundry from the cleaners so I would have clothes the rest of my trip and I never made it back to check out the cd. So if anybody has a copy of this cd and they want to sell it drop me a pm or email.

I'm also looking for some nonchieftains recordings of Michael Tubridy. I really love his playing and his cd The Eagle's Whistle just didn't seem to do it for me... I think he was nervous or something in the studio cause he wasn't in top form for that cd. Kinda like the geezer files of Josie McDermott are much better that his cd Darbies Farewell to London (just my opinion). Just didn't seem to be in great form. Anyways, I love the flute playing of Michael Tubridy so if anybody has any private recordings of him or other recordings that I don't have I'd gladly pay for them or make a trade or something.

And if somebody has some stuff of them together I would gladly kill someone to hear that!!!!

Thanks,
Jack
No I'm not returning...
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

There's a series of four cassettes for set dancing most of the music on them is played by Eamonn Mc Givney on fiddle, Tommy McCarthy on concertina with Michael T. playing the flute with a bit of help from Junior Crehan. Wonderful recordings all I got them for 2.50 each. Larry Lynch released them, you'll probably have to dive into set dancing circles to locate him but it's well worth the trouble.
Wombat
antispam: No

Post by Wombat »

The only solo Tubridy I have is The Eagle's Whistle and I agree it's a little flat but it's still one I enjoy once in a while.

For Mrs. Crotty check out Concertina Music from West Clare(RTE). I don't yet have my own copy but it's close to the top of my wants list.
bradhurley

Post by bradhurley »

colomon
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

Last time I checked Celtic Grooves couldn't actually get one for me. Let me know if anything has changed.
johnkerr

Post by johnkerr »

Unless it's out of print, Philippe Varlet at Celtic Grooves Imports ought to be able to get you a copy of the Mrs Crotty CD. That's where I got mine, and he's still listing it on his web site. Be aware, though, that as a basement business (i.e. not a storefront) Philippe does not keep a lot of stock on hand. Rather, he orders on an as-needed basis from his distributor in Ireland. So when he told you he didn't have it, maybe what he meant was that he didn't have it at the moment and would have to order it for you. Or, it could be that it's out of print. I'd advise contacting him again, and also checking out Ossian USA (http://www.ossianusa.com) who may have it.

Also, regarding the Larry Lynch set dance tapes that Peter mentioned, Philippe at Celtic Grooves is carrying a fairly new CD that looks like a compilation of several of these tapes, or perhaps a new recording in the same vein. Check out celticgrooves.homestead.com/CG_Various_Set_Dances.html.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

The Mrs Crotty Cd is an RTE release [it's their archive material], you can order it directly from RTE as well as from shops like Custy's. {while at RTE. look at the Denis Murphy CD, serious music that]

I have seen the set dancing CD, there is some similar material but on the tapes you'll get loads more and some nice Sliabh luachra sets thrown in to top it up.
Roger O'Keeffe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Roger O'Keeffe »

Last time I enquired about the Mrs Crotty CD it was sold out. Have RTE reissued it, Peter?
An Pluiméir Ceolmhar
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

I didn't realise it had sold out Roger, so i assumed they'd have it. I did recently see it in shops but that can be old stock, could be worth checking Custy's.
MurphyStout

Post by MurphyStout »

Yeah, Phillipe is sold out as is Custy's and so are teh rest of the online shops in Ireland (didn't check Shannaquay Peter :wink: ) I'm looking at the RTE site now but I guess I'm stupid cause I can't find where on the site you can buy there archive cds directly from them? Could somebody give a dumb yank a link?

Thanks,
Jack
No I'm not returning...
Bloomfield
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

MurphyStout wrote:... Could somebody give a dumb yank a link?

Thanks,
Jack
Here ya go.

/Bloomfield
djm

Post by djm »

Bloomfield, absolutely wicked! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jack/Murph, this is not an easy link to find. I was told recently by Peter Browne that RTE is soon getting out of the CD/video business, so buy what you can now while it lasts. http://www.rte.ie/about/cel/merchandise ... ndise.html

Hope that helps,

djm
MurphyStout

Post by MurphyStout »

Thanks for the link... I sent RTE an email but I seriously doubt they have it in stock. Maybe I'll get lucky but most likely if I want to hear this album I'll just have to back to the Miltown library (they had alot of other good stuff in there as I recall as well)... unless of course some kind soul will sell me their copy(fingers crossed).

Peter I'll look into those tapes and see if I can turn anything up. Thanks for the leed.
No I'm not returning...
meemtp

Post by meemtp »

Jack,

You mentioned Geezer files of Josie McDermott, where might I find some of these? I love his playing and would like to hear more.

Thanks,
Corin
MurphyStout

Post by MurphyStout »

Here you go Corin

http://www.lafferty.ca/music/irish/flute-geezers/

Well I've emailed the people at RTE and sure as shyte they are out of stock of Mrs Crotty and the cd is out of print so there won't be any new copies to get ahold of anytime soon.

So if anybody finds this cd I'll pay you an extra 20 bucks on top of the price for a finders fee cause I really want to hear this thing bad! I found a few small clips on link from the Crotty festival site, they are very, very good. Scroll down and click on the RA icons for the clips, they are in real player format.

http://www.eigsemrscrotty.com/id152.htm
No I'm not returning...