Alto Flutes

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
khal

Alto Flutes

Post by khal »

I was wondering if anyone has experience playing alto (boehm) flutes and can rate the following:

Pearl
Jupiter
Armstrong

These seem like the three that are affordable (to me) and I'm wondering which of these is the best in your opinion and why.

Thanks.
JessieK
antispam: No

Post by JessieK »

I went to a flute fair yesterday and played examples of all three of those. In my experience, with these (and most) brands, it is possible to find really terrific examples and really clunky ones. It is my strong suggestion that you try before you buy, because with mail order, you never know what you're going to get.
~JessieD
Dana
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Dana »

As Jessie said, it's always good to try before you buy. Most mail-order organizations will let you buy on approval with a short trial period.

I've played the Jupiter-diMedici and the Armstrong. Of those, I highly recommend the Jupiter-diMedici. For the money, I don't think you can do any better. In fact, I liked it so much I bought one!

It has a very comfortable mechanism, a great tone, and about as in tune as one can expect from an alto-flute. I didn't like the Armstrong alto-flute at all.

Dana
Dominic Allan

alto flutes

Post by Dominic Allan »

I've never tried a Jupiter alto ,but their stuff is always well made and good value for money.
A Yamaha alto is on my "things I would buy if I was in possession of more money than I know what to do with" list. It's between helicopter and drum kit.
Last edited by Dominic Allan on Wed Mar 17, 2004 3:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
glauber

Post by glauber »

Armstrong alto: i've played 2. They're playable and in tune, but clunky (as Armstrongs usually are). I hear many good things about the Jupiter.
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

At the flute fair, I tried a Jupiter alto and Jupiter bass at the same booth (Sam Ash). The alto was unfocused and not very good, and the bass was terrific (but not for sale, hmph). I am totally convinced that the quality of both was unique to those two instruments, not indicative of all Jupiter altos and basses. Just something to remember.

I have an Altus alto on trial right now and I am trying to decide if I want to play alto Boehm at all or just order a Low A Irish flute.
~JessieD
Henke
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Henke »

JessieK wrote:
I have an Altus alto on trial right now and I am trying to decide if I want to play alto Boehm at all or just order a Low A Irish flute.
Who makes low A Irish style flutes?? I'd love to have a go at one. But they are probably beasts to play, yes?
tin tin
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

Post by tin tin »

Become Sarah Allen!
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

I would suppose they have keys?
They will be heavy. Wow.
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

Alto Boehm flutes have keys, yes, but one can order keyless Irish flutes in A from Casey Burns and Peter Noy (second one highly recommended, though I have never played a Low A of his yet), at least (maybe more makers will make them but do not advertise them). They are not heavy, especially if you get some wood other than blackwood. Quite nice and resonant, actually. I have decided not to get a Boehm alto, but to order a Low A flute from Peter.
~JessieD
elizabeth

alto flute

Post by elizabeth »

I would choose the Jupiter. Best scale, best mechanism. You do have to be picky about head joints, though. See if your instrument dealer can supply you with a couple to try. Stay away from Armstrong and Pearl. Yamaha are nice. I have a Trevor James alto that I would recommend. I only paid $1400 or so for it (it's plated) when it first came out but they are probably more now. Check with J.L. Smith. He's a good dealer, carries lots of different makes. He is in North Carolina...Asheville, maybe?

Elizabeth
If it was necessary to tolerate in other people everything that one permits in oneself, life would be intolerable. --Georges Courteline
oleorezinator
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes I love tin whistles I love flutes I love irish music I love concertinas I love bodhrans

Post by oleorezinator »

one consideration is bore size. a smaller bore will speak more easily and will be more "focused." with a larger bore, the bigger the change in timbre that you can make.
Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love.
Love is not music. Music is the best.
- Frank Zappa
talasiga

D Bhoop with low A

Post by talasiga »

JessieK wrote:..... I have decided not to get a Boehm alto, but to order a Low A flute from Peter.
I admire the brave heart.
Best wishes to you.

But tell me about the
finger spread for the low A
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
JessieK

Re: D Bhoop with low A

Post by JessieK »

talasiga wrote:I admire the brave heart.
Hee hee. Actually, I have a Low A joint (top body section) for a Casey Burns Bb (but the rest of the flute is really configured for Bb, so the internal tuning on the A is less than perfect, as I was warned it would be) and the reach is totally manageable. It's no Pratten, mind you. The holes are placed so that a human can reasonably play the instrument.
~JessieD
glauber

Post by glauber »

A while ago (a couple of years at least) i did some research on the FLUTE list and other places. This is what i was told:

(1) Wooden altos
  • Alexander Eppler 206-932-2211 Seattle WA
  • Hammig Model 667/4
(2) Cheaper good altos
  • Powell <Made a hanful of handmade altos, considered very good. Doesn't make them anymore.>
  • Jupiter <Great sound and price. Better than Pearl.>
  • Trevor James <Very good, maybe the best. More expensive ($2K or $3.3K for the handmade, in fluteworld).>
(3) More expensive good altos
  • Sankyo <Good price, great tone, good scale ($5K, $6K for silver head, or $9K for handmade, fluteworld).>
  • Yamaha <$4.5K, fluteworld.>
  • Altus
  • Kingma
I decided then that i was going to get a Jupiter or Trevor James, but i got started on wooden flutes instead. I would still love to have an alto, but the desire mellowed a little after i got my Mark Hoza head for the concert flute; i just can't imagine myself abandoning that flute for an alto now... But an alto is a beautiful thing. Bass is very nice too, but a lot more expensive. After you play alto or bass for a few days, then the normal flute just feels so light and easy to play, that it's good to have one of the larger flutes even if just for practicing on it.

One of the many things that's said about Boehm is that by the end of his career, the alto was his favourite flute. He especially enjoyed using it to accompany singers.

Alto is IMHO considerably heavier on the arms than a bass flute; this is because the bass is more ergonomical. There are curved headjoints for the alto, but they're said to work well only on the first 2 octaves.

I've had a borrowed Armstrong for a few months, and played another Armstrong. What i don't like about Armstrongs is the clunky "typewriter" mechanism, which has a tendency to get out of alignment. Other than that, i thought it was a fine flute.

That's all i know, folks. Back to dreaming about my alto now...

g
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--