Looking for a "warmer" sounding whistle.

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
missy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Looking for a "warmer" sounding whistle.

Post by missy »

Ok - I know this is totally subjective, but.......

I have a Walton's Little Black and a Generation, both in D (and both "tweaked", as least as far as having the mouth piece movable to get them in tune). But they both sound "tinny" to me. Ok, ok, I KNOW it's a tin whistle, but I'd like something a little warmer sounding.

Just to give you some comparison, I also play mountain dulcimer and tend toward deeper, warmer sounding instruments. In fact, I almost exclusively play bass or baritone dulcimer now. I don't like any of the "brighter" sounding instruments.

So - what makes (and composition) would y'all recommend (and source and approximate price, too, if you can). I really feel that I don't give the whistle near as much attention as I should because of the tone of the ones I own.

Thanks

Missy
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
cj

Post by cj »

I have a Burke that I love and to me sounds "warm." It also has a pure tone. I also like the sound of my Dixon. As you said, this is subjective, so YMMV. You might try a Busman or some other wooden whistle--that may give you the tone you want. These cost a bit more, but I'm sure are worth it.
blackhawk
antispam: No

Post by blackhawk »

I'm not sure what warmer means, but you'd do well to try a Dixon.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
lixnaw

Post by lixnaw »

burke composite or overton
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

I think wooden whistles are warmer than metal whistles. So I would suggest an Abell, because that's my favorite. I think the price is $300. You can get them directly from Chris.

http://www.abellflute.com

Edit: Another great option can be found at http://www.greenwoodpipes.com - Davey's wooden whistles are great.
Last edited by JessieK on Thu Mar 11, 2004 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
~JessieD
Dana

Post by Dana »

Mack Hoover makes a CPVC whistle that sounds a lot like wood, for a very reasonable price.

Dana
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

I have a Burke brass narrow bore that is a very "warm" sounding whistle to me, lovely tone all the way up into the stratosphere.

--James
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I would recommend boxwood. The warmest sounding whistle I have is a boxwood by David Boisvert.

To go with the baritone dulcimer, you might want to try a low-D or low-G, especially Copeland.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

Gotta get in a vote for Elf Songs here. Very warm, rich-sounding whistle. Or, if you like something a bit more complex, I second the recommedation of a Busman.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Kar

Post by Kar »

I prefer warm to bright as well. Dixons are good (esp the lower ones, A & G) if you want cheap, and Shaws are also very warm-sounding but don't bother with an untweaked one. Get one from Jerry or have him tweak it.
adriancarrington

Post by adriancarrington »

Just to add to the confusion......

Alba Q1

Very soft and warm sounding, and a strong contrast to Generation style whistles. I'm afraid I haven't yet tried wooden whistles, or Burke whistles, so can't offer you a direct comparison. You may also enjoy whistles in the lower keys of course.....the list just grows and grows!

I hope you find your ideal whistle,

Best, Adrian
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

You might want to look more closely at lower keyed whistles. Bb, for instance. It still sounds whistley, but not to tinny or shrieky. The lower you go in keys, the more flutey whistles sound.
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
missy

Post by missy »

thanks for all the recommendations so far - a little more information.....

I do have a Bb whistle, but want to play along with songs in the keys of D, Em, G or A (I also have a G, but it sounds like a dog whistle to me!)

I've tried a low whistle (specifically a D), and my hands are just TOO small to finger correctly, unless I can find one where the bottom hole is really offset from the others. Even when trying "piper" fingering, it just didn't work!

Keep up with the suggestions, I'm getting a "wish list" in order, here!

Missy
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
lixnaw

Post by lixnaw »

what about a copeland low G?
E = Fb

Post by E = Fb »

A soprano whistle will never have a true warm sound. If you find the whistle gets on your nerves, a quiet whistle may be what you really need. Also, a whistle that's out of tune will get on your nerves.

First I'd plug my ears when practicing at home. That takes care of the annoying volume.

Then I'd find the most in-tune whistle possible. That comes down to Susato, which also happens to have a reputation as screechy. OK then, put some industrial ear covers over those plugged ears and you'll be home free.
Current stage of grief: Denial