anyone know anything about these pipes

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Kevin Popejoy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Kevin Popejoy »

Last edited by Kevin Popejoy on Mon May 10, 2004 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Northern Whistler

Post by Northern Whistler »

Yes I agree that mass produced replicas of someone's instrument would piss that person off. But being in the situation that I am in I am torn on what to do. The Uilleann pipes seem to be extremly highly priced ( Viewing from my measly income) and almost out of reach. A full set which you can get for $1000 seems like a pretty good bargin. But I am not sure if it is the same with pipes as whistles. You can get a $10 whistle that is playable, but when I bought my Burke whistle, I then knew the difference from a whistle made from a respected maker and a whistle made out of a moulding machine. My Burke makes playing easier and the support from him is great as far as returns etc.
So I think I will go with what I feel is probably the best choice, not for my soon to be starving kids, but for the quality of music I would get from a respected maker. I think I am going to keep an eye out for a used 1/2 set. If anyone has one or knows of one forsale. Feel free to PM me.
Thanks to everyone for their comments.
Joseph E. Smith
antispam: No

Re: terminology

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Careless of me, I am sorry. I use the shortened word/name for purposes of being too lazy to spell it out entirely (not that it is a long word). I mean no disrespect. But I was only referring to the instrument and not the people of Pakistan. I am not an idividual who delights in slagging people of other nations or backgrounds, in fact, just the opposite. I celebrate our worldwide heritages and diferrences. Peace...out.
John Mulhern

Post by John Mulhern »

You have done nothing to apologize for, Joseph...thank you for your informative contribution to the forum.
WannabePiper

Post by WannabePiper »

Whistler,
If you do consider the Pakistani pipes, definitely check out Tim Britton's reworked sets http://www.skep.com/britton/ . He makes them play pretty well, and you get all the service and advice you'd expect from a maker if you bought one of their own pieces.
Kevin Popejoy

Post by Kevin Popejoy »

Last edited by Kevin Popejoy on Mon May 10, 2004 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
djm

Post by djm »

You only need chanter, bag and bellows to start off with (beginner set). Why look at a half-set, which is more than you will be able to handle for the first long while, and bemoan the cost? Lots of beginner sets come up on eBay all the time.

Maybe you can refurbish a Pakistani set to make it almost playable, but are you a bagpipe technician? Do you have the time, tools, patience and skills required? For the same money you can easily get a good quality beginner set and grow on it later. Going cheap is a false economy where UPs are concerned.

djm

Here's another practise set going on eBay: http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... 3708614147
Last edited by djm on Wed Mar 10, 2004 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joseph E. Smith

I just visited Tim's recently up dated website, and it looks as though he is still accepting Pakistani pipes for reworking. Tim, if you follow this forum, maybe you can set the record straight.
jqpublick

Post by jqpublick »

For about 780.00 USD you could get a polyacetal set from Rogge. I'm not sure about his turnaround time but here's a thread about a set.

http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... highlight=

Here's Rogge's site: http://www.uilleann-pipes.de/

It's under a thousand, you can find out what the posting will cost and it's at least made by someone who seems to know what they're doing.

Hope this helps,

Mark

Or, you could look at this: http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... highlight=
WannabePiper

Post by WannabePiper »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:I just visited Tim's recently up dated website, and it looks as though he is still accepting Pakistani pipes for reworking. Tim, if you follow this forum, maybe you can set the record straight.
I just got a set of reworked drones from Tim, so obviously, he's still doing it. He actually speaks pretty highly of the Pakistani chanters and drones he works on (once he's done the work).
plaintiger

Post by plaintiger »

yep - i just visited Tim's site (at 3:19 am eastern US time, 16 march 2004) and he lists prices for reworked Pakistani sets as follows:

Practice set - $750

Main stock with 3 drones - $550

Three regulators - $1450

Full set - $2600

seems a pretty cost-effective way to get started (say i, who's currently mouth-blowing a Pakistani chanter for lack of funds requisite for even the lowest-priced bellows and bag)... :o

speaking of which, is there any reason a man of limited means *wouldn't* want to start with an "economy" practice set like <a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 6">this</a>? i can't afford more right now, but i'm very eager to get my elbows on a bellows and bag and start developing some of the coordination they demand.
Joseph E. Smith

If you decide on buying these pipes, go through Tim Britton. Or check out the 'Harp and the Dragon' website on one of the other forum pages. Their prices are reasonable and you can get a sterter set with chanter. If you purchase these pipes, be prepared to buy another bag as the one that comes with this instrument isn't playable. Choose a McHarg or an L&M bag to switch it out.