Titanic~~

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
glauber
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by glauber »

Peter Laban wrote:
NorCalMusician wrote:As long as they do not try to promote themselves as something they are not...
Remind me, what was it that abominable performance in the movie tried to portray?
Oirish. Poor but happy, dancing their problems away! :)
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
Jerry Freeman
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Jerry Freeman »

BrassBlower wrote:I watched a Celine Dion concert video (shame on me), and on the Titanic theme, it showed the whistle player playing something black with a little gold ring around the end. At that point, the song was in the key of E, and I could tell it was an A whistle by the fingerings being used, so I'm guessing it was a Dixon A.
That's interesting ...

The movie themesong website I mentioned earlier in this thread had two MIDI's of the themesong, in two different keys. One was in F/A; I believe the other was a half step lower, in E/G#.

Best wishes,
Jerry
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Brian Lee wrote:It struggles to even be considered Irish really, let alone Celtic.
What does that even mean? For most Irish traditionalists that I know, saying something is "Celtic" music generally implies that it is a modernized version of any British Isles (or even trad continental European) music. So, in that case, they are exactly what they say they are. The word "Celtic music" didn't even exist until recent mainstreamization of traditional music.

Of course, I really like fusion celtic bands (Baka Beyond, Tempest), so maybe I am biased. But I, for one, didn't care about their noteriety or Irishness during thier concert. Too busy dancing in my seat.

And, in fact, at their concert I attended (back when Kathleen Kenny was still with them) they played some very traditional Irish sets (with an incredible amount of energy, I might add).
emmline

Post by emmline »

Is it against C & F community law to have enjoyed both the movie and the music therein? Or Riverdance? Is this some sort of stupid religion that seeks to squeeze out all but those who hew to the most Spartanly rigid rules of what constitutes smart and cultured preferences?

(rant rant rant rant... :tantrum: )

all done ranting. :)
emmline

Post by emmline »

fearfaoin wrote: Of course, I really like fusion celtic bands (Baka Beyond, Tempest)

Woohoo! Me too.
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

*backing away sloooowly - trying not to make any sudden movements*

I guess I should say that when I saw Tempest in Elko last summer, I was so pissed off because I would never get those two hours of my life back that they stole....what a horrid concert it was! I really really REALLY tried to like them, it just wasn't humanly possible! Their stage antics and musicianship were both appaling and disturbing!

As for GS, the only "Irish" tune I heard them attempt in ther concert was drowsy maggie and then it was played at a leisurely 800,000 beats per minute. I didn't even recognize the tune at first it was played so blinking fast. The boys can certainly sing and harmonize very well, but it's not my cup of tea at all. And if you want to include Tempest in the bunch, then you truly DO stretch the limits of the "Celtic" genre!

(Just to verify, this is the same Tempest, "celtic-fusion-we-wanted-to-be-metallica-with-a-fiddle-and-double-necked mandolin-thingie-but-couldn-t-quite-pull-it-off" group from California right? http://www.tempestmusic.com/

*run away! run away!*
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Brian Lee wrote:I guess I should say that when I saw Tempest in Elko last summer, I was so pissed off because I would never get those two hours of my life back that they stole
(Just to verify, this is the same Tempest, "celtic-fusion-we-wanted-to-be-metallica-with-a-fiddle-and-double-necked mandolin-thingie-but-couldn-t-quite-pull-it-off"
The very same. I admit that I haven't seen them in concert, but I don't think I'd like it either. I only have one of their CDs, and only like about half of it (mostly the instrumentals, the guy's voice is pretty rough). I like them because they bring some Norse tunes in with a Celtic feel, and present new ways of thinking musically about some old tunes. And, as far as I'm concerned, there really is nothing wrong with that. I like Djembes and Bazoukis and Digeridoos and electric guitars stuck into Irish tunes I know. Sometimes people do it badly, but at least they're being creative... (sometimes Eileen Ivers runs her fiddle through a Wah-wah pedal, but what can you do?)

Don't get me wrong, I still like a good tune played with traditional instruments.
But an open mind can bring you much joy.
BrassBlower

Post by BrassBlower »

Eileen Ivers is probably the quintessential fiddle rocker. Of course, honorable mention should go to Natalie MacMaster, Leahy, Robbie Steinhardt (Kansas), Peter Knight (Steeleye Span), and Mik Kaminski (E.L.O.). And I almost forgot Tears for Beers with their thickly-overdriven electric fiddle!
https://www.facebook.com/4StringFantasy

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo
BrassBlower

Post by BrassBlower »

...and, of course, our ol' buddy Charlie Daniels! :D
https://www.facebook.com/4StringFantasy

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

I see what you're saying fearfaoin. I haven't heard any of their CDs but after that concert/spectacle, I wasn't about to buy any either. :boggle: They [Tempest] are certainly an *ahem* interesting bunch to see live. :lol:
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

BrassBlower wrote:And I almost forgot Tears for Beers with their thickly-overdriven electric fiddle!
Tears for Beers. Haven't heard those guys since I stopped going to MP3.com! They still playing?
They always sounded really drunk to me... can't get more traditional than that, I guess.
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

emmline wrote:Is it against C & F community law to have enjoyed both the movie and the music therein? Or Riverdance? Is this some sort of stupid religion that seeks to squeeze out all but those who hew to the most Spartanly rigid rules of what constitutes smart and cultured preferences?
Yes.

:)
/Bloomfield
pthouron

Post by pthouron »

I haven't read through the entire thread so this may have been answered already... Eric Rigler plays whistle and pipes on the Titanic S/T, and his whistles of choice are Kerry whistles. I inquired with him through his website last year(http://www.badhaggis.com) and he wrote back that the whistle used on Titanic is Chieftain Low D.
mamakash

Post by mamakash »

emmline wrote:Is it against C & F community law to have enjoyed both the movie and the music therein? Or Riverdance? Is this some sort of stupid religion that seeks to squeeze out all but those who hew to the most Spartanly rigid rules of what constitutes smart and cultured preferences?
I saw Riverdance in 2000 and loved it, and think the Titanic soundtrack is pretty . . . although I thought the movie was trite, poorly written, and purposless. As one guy said, "The ship took forever to sink". I couldn't agree more. It was an agonizing bad movie that took forever to end.
I think if steven speilberg had directed it(and ditch the overplayed title song) we wouldn't even be having this conversation.

"Secret of Roan Innish" seems to have a favorable opinion on the board. Guess it's the handling of material rather than material itself.

In reference to Emma's comment, I want to know the name of the album that manages to fall under *everyone's* concept of Irtrad.
I sing the birdie tune
It makes the birdies swoon
It sends them to the moon
Just like a big balloon
U2

Post by U2 »

Peter Laban wrote:
NorCalMusician wrote:As long as they do not try to promote themselves as something they are not...
Remind me, what was it that abominable performance in the movie tried to portray?

I too get a kick out of this Peter, but I think for different reasons.

I've heard the criticisms of the band that portrayed the band in the ship's steerage. However, it might have been shot down as somewhat unrealistic to have a nice, tight, group of top Irish musicans (insert your choices here). Dunno. But I presume the producers had the money to portray whatever they had in mind. The movie wasn't for me either, but not because of the band. Best, Steve