Titanic~~

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Lillian
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Titanic~~

Post by Lillian »

Does anyone know what kind of whistle they use in the titanic theme " myheart will go on "?
its not too low, or too high, sounds nice~~ anyone know?? :-?
amar
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

this whistle community doesn't really like titanic too much...ehmm, or dion, or...
well....some while ago I think I read it wasn't a whistle at all, but that low-life cousin of a recorder.
true?
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

It sure sounded like a whistle to me.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
Tony
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Lillian, follow this link to a movie clip where you can see & hear the orchestra with whistle and Uilleann pipes:
http://www.sonyclassical.com/videos/606 ... l_clip.mov

It comes from the Titanic website:
http://www.sonyclassical.com/releases/6 ... ingof.html
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Well, this member of the "whistle community" likes it fine for what it is.

What it is not is Irish Traditional. What the little mournful whistle intro is not is a slow air.

What it really is: soft rock that includes some instrumentation borrowed from the folk / trad side.

And that's ok--it has been responsible for a first introduction to whistles for many folks since that movie came out. Some of them stay "clueless but friendly," others will wind up learning how to play.

So what was the problem again?

By the way, Chiff and Fipple is great but it's not anywhere close to the "whistle community." It is a community--it's an online message-board community--and it has developed "community values" of its own. I think it would be a mistake to assume that just because C&F members have a concensus on something that it accurately reflects the opinions of the whistle or trad community at large.

Now--all that said--C&F is a good community, and you can learn from the folks here and even be guided by the "community standards" here and get off to a really solid start on IrTrad and playing the whistle.

--James
emmline

Post by emmline »

peeplj wrote: I think it would be a mistake to assume that just because C&F members have a concensus on something that it accurately reflects the opinions of the whistle or trad community at large.
I'd hesitate to conclude that C & F'ers "have a consensus" on anything!
glauber

Re: Titanic~~

Post by glauber »

Lillian wrote:Does anyone know what kind of whistle they use in the titanic theme " myheart will go on "?
its not too low, or too high, sounds nice~~ anyone know?? :-?
This is number 5 of the Five Great Mysteries here:
http://www.chiffandfipple.com/mysteries/mysteries.htm
All the information is there. Read the rest of the page too, it's all importatnt stuff in the whistle mythology.

Note: it doesn't say there but i remember reading somewhere else that it's a low G whistle. So there you go: low G Chieftain played by Tony Hinnigan. Now go read about the other mysteries.
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

This is a question people ask me often, along with "What key is the Titanic song whistle music in?"

One individual sent me to a website with MIDI's of various movie themes, including Titanic, and I tried to work out the key(s) of the whistle in Titanic.

As it happens, there's a key change (up a major third) about 3/4 of the way through, so the whistle part seems to be in two keys. As far as I could tell from the MIDI, the tune starts in the key of F and changes about 3/4 of the way through to the key of A. If anyone can confirm or correct this, I would be grateful. Of course, this assumes the MIDI is in the same key(s) as Celine Dion's recording.

Here's the text of the letter posted on the "Mysteries" page. It mentions that Tony Hinnigan got a whole set of Chieftain whistles. I wonder if it's true that the piece was played with one whistle (G?) or if Tony changed whistles to accomodate the key change. Anyway, I would love to know for sure one way or another.
Dear Dale,

Thanks for the website info. I'm looking forward to checking it out.

Actually, you're very close. I played all the uilleann pipes on TITANIC soundtrack, and my good friend, Tony Hinnigan, from London, played the low whistle. We've worked together for James Horner on the soundtracks of BRAVEHEART, THE DEVIL'S OWN, TITANIC, and the CD follow-up, BACK TO TITANIC. Before we did the soundtrack to TITANIC, I made a trip over to London to pick up some whistles that I had made for me by Phil Hardy. I brought Tony along, they struck up a friendship, and Tony got a whole set of Chieftain whistles from Phil.

When we got together with James Horner to do the soundtrack, James heard the whistles, loved them, and assigned Tony the task. So, yes, it is a Chieftain whistle played by Tony Hinnigan.

Eric Rigler
Best wishes,
Jerry
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

Hee hee. I was told once by Jim Rementer that is was a Low G Copeland played by Keith (or Kevin?) Underwood. Ahhh, who knows?
~JessieD
Pat Cannady
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Pat Cannady »

I could die happy if I never hear that song ever again.

Kate Winslet could pose for me any time she felt like it, though, if I ever take up figure drawing :devil:
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

One theory was that it was a Gen Bb - which would hold pretty well if part of the tune was in F...don't know so much about the change to A though....
ChristianRo

Post by ChristianRo »

I once accompanied a gospel choir in a concert to that song (yes, I needed the money :oops: ) The song moved from F to A. I used my C whistle for the first, then my Bnat whistle for the second part. Worked quite well (better than the vocal arrangement, though...)
We all are mortals...
Christian
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

Please forgive my ignorance on this subject, but wouldn't one want to use the Bb whistle for F and the C whistle for A??
bjs

Post by bjs »

Anybody want to buy this and report back?

My Heart Will Go On The Titanic theme-of-the-moment for you to play along with - only £5.95

http://www.allflutesplus.co.uk/frameset.html

Brian
illuminatus99

Post by illuminatus99 »

Brian Lee wrote:Please forgive my ignorance on this subject, but wouldn't one want to use the Bb whistle for F and the C whistle for A??
not quite, the key of B has a Bb and an Eb in it, you could play in F with a Bb whistle as long as you don't have to hit an E anywhere. C has no sharps or flats while the key of A has an F#, C# and G#.

I'd probably use an F whistle for F and an A whistle for A, failing that a D whistle will work for A if you're good at half-holing