ear training

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
zoie

ear training

Post by zoie »

I have been trying to train my ears. I've been going to several sites but am not 100% happy with them. So far I've been to a site called Big Ears but the quality of the tones is not distinct to me, I've visited Ear Trainer but can't get it to work on my computer. So far my best bet is Earplane, but that seems to be mainly for guitar players. Does anyone have any suggestions as to a free internet ear training site?

Thanks
Jarrod
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jarrod »

What was the problem you had with Ear Trainer? I needed to install quicktime before it would work for me as it requires a midi plugin to be installed for your browser. Hope that helps.

P.S. You are talking about http://www.good-ear.com/servlet/EarTrainer right?
antstastegood

Post by antstastegood »

I've also been trying to learn ear training.

I have had more luck messing with a MIDI sequencer to train my ears. I find a clip of something, and I try to notate it.

The sequencer I use can be downloaded for free at www.anvilstudio.com

Really easy to use, and it's helping me.
Unreasonable person,
ants
|___|)____________O___O___O___o__O___O_____|
vomitbunny
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by vomitbunny »

I sent my ears to ears obediance school. Worked for me.
My opinion is stupid and wrong.
Scott McCallister
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Scott McCallister »

What skills, exactly, are you trying to develop? Aural transcription, Pitch recognition, Intonation, Reproduction... the list goes on and on.

I may be able to give you some exercises that are fairly simple and very effective and you won't need a computer to do them.

Best,
Scott McCallister
There's and old Irish saying that says pretty much anything you want it to.

GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

vomitbunny wrote:I sent my ears to ears obediance school. Worked for me.
:D Same ear old chap!
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
pixyy
Tell us something.: Just updating my profile after 16+ years of C&F membership. Sold most of my flutes, play the ones I still own and occasionally still enjoy coming here and read about flute related subjects.

Post by pixyy »

Sometime ago I had a 30-day trial version of EarMaster Pro:
http://www.earmaster.com/index.htm
I had good fun with the program. It has graded tuturials for all areas of ear training: melody, harmony, rhythm etc...

Right now I could't find a trial option on their page, but if you can find it it is well worth it.

Off to lunch now :D

Jeroen
Caj

Post by Caj »

Just learning trad tunes by ear is fabulous ear training. Plus you don't need a computer, it is fun, and there are immediate concrete benefits (you know more tunes).

Your best bet is to find a partner, and trade tunes with each other, going over phrase by phrase, playing and listening and saying "no, no, not like that, like this" and playing again. If you have a house session, which is a good idea for students anyway, a weekly tune-trade is a good way to develop listening skills.

I found that after just a little learning by ear I began to develop a sense of absolute pitch without overtly trying---my microwave hums at a B, and the chimes of the house down the street rings a B G G B, B G G B.

Caj
jim_mc
Tell us something.: I'm a New York native who gradually slid west and landed in the Phoenix area. I like riding on the back seat of a tandem bicycle. I like dogs and have three of them. I am a sometime actor and an all the time teacher, husband, and dad.

Post by jim_mc »

I never knew about any of these programs when I was working hard on ear training. I got a program called Transcribe, which is a sophisticated music slow down program, and used that quite a bit.

Mostly I'd just listen to a tune over and over until I got a feel for it, then slow it down, break it down into phrases, and try to figure it out. I read music, and it helped me to try to write them out as I went along. As time went on, I started to find that I didn't need to check every note with the whistle before I had the confidence to put it down on paper. You start to recognize the intervals between the notes, the repeated phrases, etc.

It helps to start with music that features flute or whistle playing, I think. Since you're already familiar with the sounds, you'll start recognizing the notes sooner.

I know Tom Dowling learned by the same method (because we learned together), and he went from completely musically illiterate (couldn't read a note) to quickly and accurately transcribing Mary Bergin, Willie Clancy and Cathal McConnell tunes, complete with ornamentation, in a couple of years.

If you're doing this all on your own, a good book on music theory might help as well.
Say it loud: B flat and be proud!
LimuHead
Tell us something.: I'm not new here. I have been registered here for many years. I am not a spammer, though being from Hawaii, I do enjoy eating spam. Now the site is requiring at least 100 characters in this box. It would have been nice to know that bit of information before I hit submit the first time!

Post by LimuHead »

This reminds me of my college days and 8:00AM music theory classes. (I don't think I was ever fully awake....) We called the sight singing/ear-training course the "sight screaming/ear straining" course.
jim_mc wrote: If you're doing this all on your own, a good book on music theory might help as well.
I agree.

Aldon
My CD! Click here to listen!
Whistle, uke, guitar, English concertina & more!: http://www.nowhereradio.com/onemanband
zoie

Post by zoie »

At this time I'm just trying to reproduce tunes I hear. I would like to hear a note and recognize it. I do have a basic music theory book but at this point it has more information that I think I need. I will try to download a few things to get Ear Trainer to work for me again, by the way Earplane seems to be a good site but it's just not for me. Thanks for all the helpful suggestions.
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

I can wiggle my ears just like Stan Laurel, discovered this one fine Sunday morning in church when I was a kid. Had all those sitting behind me ready to pee their pants, when the minister stop his sermon and asked to come to the front to demonstrate..killed his sermon for that Sunday.

And what makes me really abnormal is that bald men aren't suppose to be able to do this...wierd.

MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
BillG

Post by BillG »

Scott McCallister wrote: I may be able to give you some exercises that are fairly simple and very effective and you won't need a computer to do them.

Best,
Scott McCallister
Pitch recognition might be good. I have the problem of identifying the first note. Once that's done it falls in place much easier.

BillG
BillG
- - -
<><
Six Ps! (Poor Prior Practice Prevents Proper Performance)
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

MarkB wrote:I can wiggle my ears just like Stan Laurel, discovered this one fine Sunday morning in church when I was a kid. Had all those sitting behind me ready to pee their pants, when the minister stop his sermon and asked to come to the front to demonstrate..killed his sermon for that Sunday.

And what makes me really abnormal is that bald men aren't suppose to be able to do this...wierd.

MarkB
Me too. My uncle taught me how. :D
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
zoie

Post by zoie »

Scott I'd be happy to try some exercises that might help.