what is the quietest whistle?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
meir
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

what is the quietest whistle?

Post by meir »

which suprano D would it be, ignoring all attributes?

meir
Jeferson
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Jeferson »

I'd say Hoover. I have a narrow bore Burke D that is really quiet, but the Hoover is quieter still.

Jef
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

Of the ones I own (self-tweaked Clarke original, Dixon tuneable, Burke aluminum narrow bore, Whitecap-Feadog), the Whitecap head on the Feadog body is the quietest overall. The Dixon comes in second, but is more difficult to play in the upper half of the second octave. The Clarke is pretty quiet in the first octave, but gets extremely loud in the second.

Of course, all of them require more breath for the second octave, so the volume also increases at least somewhat in every case.

The Whitecap-Feadog also has a very pleasing sound for my taste.
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

Noah Herbison's Laughing Whistle is the quietest d whistle available.
~JessieD
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

I believe the McHaffie sounds like the quietest whistle. The adjustment makes it possible to select the volume you would like. I have not played one but the sound clips are great.

Ron
david robertson

Post by david robertson »

I have 8 high D whistles inc. Clarkes, Feadog, Generation, Dixon tunable and Alba Q1.

Quietest is Alba Q1. It's also the quickest and most rhythmical - ie it demands rhythm.

But will investigate Laughing Whistle.

D
cquick
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Quietest Whistle

Post by cquick »

My vote is for the Laughing Whistle - it is a regular occupant of my briefcase for whenever I get a minute

Chuck
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

I had a hoover brass, but not the narrow bore, it was pretty quiet. The Weston copper I have is quieter than that. I have not had the opportunity to compare it to any of the other quiet whistles though.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

A little informal testing of my quietest whistles revealed:

Alba Q1 is softest of all,

Clarke original is only slightly louder than the Q1,

Burke brass pro narrow bore is a bit louder and much more projective than the Clarke,

Hoover whitecap on a brass Generation tube is only slightly louder than the Burke but not as projective over distance, and

My standard of comparison is a Generation D brass redtop, which is louder than all the above but not quite as projective as the Burke.

--James
Byll
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Post by Byll »

Of all the d's I have ever played, the Hoover narrow bore is by far the quietest. The amount of air it takes is minimal.
Best.
Byll
'Everything Matters...'
Lisa Diane Cope 1963-1979
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

Hoovers are quieter than the laughing whistle I own and the others by Noah that I've played. The Laughings tend to clog a LOT as well, though I don't notice the same problems in the Hoover windways. I really like the Laughing whistles, but overall, the Hoovers would be my choice for both volume and clarity.
vomitbunny

Post by vomitbunny »

For what purpose are you needing a quiet whistle? If it's for playing in an apartment or something like that, some whistles you can cover half the window with tape and still get a very nice sound out. The dixon is easy to halfway tape up and still get a nice tone.
Hoovers take well to taping the window to quiet them. Then they are REALLY quiet. I can practice any where I want to just about.
Most of then gen style whistles I have don't seem to take well to taping up.
My opinion is stupid and wrong.
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Brian Lee wrote:Hoovers are quieter than the laughing whistle I own and the others by Noah that I've played. The Laughings tend to clog a LOT as well, though I don't notice the same problems in the Hoover windways. I really like the Laughing whistles, but overall, the Hoovers would be my choice for both volume and clarity.
Bud, if you EVER ditch that laughing whistle, I get dibs! Or Max and I will come beat you up! :twisted:
E = Fb

Post by E = Fb »

The Hoover is well named. You have to blow so easy on D you almost have to suck. I tend to run out of breath more quickly on a hoover. I have to drop a note to breathe out, then another to breathe in. I got a whitecap and stuck it on an Oak barrel. It's of value for practicing at 2 AM, or in a library.
Current stage of grief: Denial
Jens_Hoppe

Post by Jens_Hoppe »

JessieK wrote:Noah Herbison's Laughing Whistle is the quietest d whistle available.
But the Hoover narrow bore is even quieter! :-)

/Jens