Brilliant new idea?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Chuck_Clark
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Brilliant new idea?

Post by Chuck_Clark »

I've been mulling this over and wonder if it's brilliant or passe.

Some folks are amazed to learn that, despite the millions of CDs out there, there are many LPs that have never been released as CDs. Some are obscure, of course, but for some its puzzling in the extreme why they haven't. One, for example, is the soundtrack for the movie "Patton" (so I'm told, anyway).

Another, and a source of frustration for me, is the '60s SEA/EARTH/SKY set by RodMcKuen and Anita Kerr. I'd really like to get these, but as far as I can determine, they don't exist (in CD form, anyway).

In one of my other interests, (genealogy), I have learned that it is sometimes possible to get new reprints of out-of-print books. There are companies such as Higginson that can actually supply new bound copies from the older ones.

Does anyone know of any company that might be able to provide a similar service of CDs from out-of-print LPs?
colomon
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

It's not that hard to do yourself if you have the LP and a decent way to hook it up to your computer. I've got a nice collection of old, never reprinted Newfoundland LPs on CD now...

Though I've been too lazy to look into removing pops and scratches from the album, I imagine a service which did that for you would cost a pretty penny anyway.
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

"Magix Audio Cleaning Lab" software is purpose built for this. It's great at getting rid of scratches and ticks when transferring vinyl to CD.
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.
Jeferson

Post by Jeferson »

I wonder if some of the people in the Traditional Music wing might have some experience to relate?

Jef
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

The problem, basically, is that while my old turntable is still usable if a bit balky, I have no idea in the world how to run the output from my 30 year old Yamaha receiver to the PC.

Anyone know?
lixnaw

Post by lixnaw »

hey chuck,
this company should have the right adaptors http://www.electronicplus.com/content/Alpha_A.asp

send them an e-mail
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

The problem, basically, is that while my old turntable is still usable if a bit balky, I have no idea in the world how to run the output from my 30 year old Yamaha receiver to the PC.
It should be no problem hooking the two together. look at the output type from your receiver amp. There should be an aux out plug. You'll need to connect to your line in at your computer's sound card. Probably 1/8" stereo phone jack? Radioshack can hook you up for under $10. (not literally- they won't come out to your house- and you wouldn't want them to...) Now, it's a matter of recording to whatever software you have for that. You may need to record one track at a time unless you have a lot of memory. I went from vinyl to minidisc player, then to computer because I didn't want to lug my antique Pioneer 60lb receiver downstairs and back up when I was done. Worked out fine.
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I use Roxio Toast (there's a PC version, too, called CDsomethingorother), which comes with the cable. I've put around 200 albums on CD, most of which are no longer available. The software will also remove pop and hiss to some extent.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
glauber

Post by glauber »

Here's a Web page that has a lot of information on copying from vinyl to CD. There's a downloadable Windows Help file there too (the help file has the same information as the Web page).

http://www.shareup.com/dadioh/
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

TonyHiggins wrote:It should be no problem hooking the two together. look at the output type from your receiver amp. There should be an aux out plug. You'll need to connect to your line in at your computer's sound card. Probably 1/8" stereo phone jack? Radioshack can hook you up for under $10. (not literally- they won't come out to your house- and you wouldn't want them to...)
I also use a cheap Eurorack mixer ($80) between the stereo and the computer. That lets me set the level going into the computer, which is really useful for getting good results -- before I had that, I had a disturbing number of tapes that came in very quietly. That really kills the resolution. And as a bonus, it makes it a lot easier to record from a microphone.
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?c ... id=42-7011

I got one of these cheap CD burners for Xmas ($199). It's a dual tray player...one side records and both sides playback. Burns CDs at normal speed or 2x or 4x faster. Plug in from any source like from a record player, from the computer, a tape deck, radio, or auxillary CD player, and make a CD of your favorites. The beauty with this machine is being able to pause inbetween cuts. It either manually or automatically goes to the next number.

I just transferred all my dad's old cowboy songs from from his reel-to-reel tapes, cassettes, and music recorded by my grandfather from old 78s, and put them directly onto a CD.

You don't have to use the computer at all and waste all the time and memory space. Of course the computer is good if you want to edit the recordings, like remove scratches or eliminating mistakes or other gliches. I like being able to pause between cuts, listen to the next song off the record or tape, set volumes by listening to it through the big system first...rather than guess what it will sound like, then simply push the record button to add another one to the CD.