Playing Technique on "Drops of Brandy"

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
srt19170

Playing Technique on "Drops of Brandy"

Post by srt19170 »

I just learned the slip jig "Drops of Brandy" the other weekend, and there's an interesting passage (in both the A and B parts) where you (in G) play "BGB BGB". Now, lately I've been trying to learn all new tunes with cuts between repeated notes -- it generally sounds better to my ear, and I find it easier to learn a cut and change to a tongue than vice versa. In this case, however, a few measures after the "BGB BGB" you play "BGB CBA" and I find that if I cut the repeated Bs in the first phrase (inserting Cnats), it ends up sounding too melodically similar to the later measures, and the whole tune loses some of it's liveliness.

Any thoughts, agreements, disagreements on that?

I've also tackled something new in this tune by trying to half-hole the Cnats. I half-hole by rolling off my index finger, so the motion involved in playing "..B CBA" and later "CBC A2 BCBA" is quite interesting -- essentially rolling the barrel of the whistle back and forth because of the alternating Cnats and other notes.

On a semi-related note, are there tunes commonly played with Drops of Brandy? And I notice on "The Session" the tune is shown in Dmajor -- is that the common session key?

-- Scott Turner
FJohnSharp
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

I like that tune. And it's one of few tunes that my wife remarked she liked when I was learning it. I was taught to just cut by lifting the B finger.

Unfortunately I wasn't given a companion tune with that one.
Steven
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Playing Technique on "Drops of Brandy"

Post by Steven »

srt19170 wrote:I find that if I cut the repeated Bs in the first phrase (inserting Cnats), it ends up sounding too melodically similar to the later measures, and the whole tune loses some of it's liveliness.

Any thoughts, agreements, disagreements on that?
Well, from this description it sounds like you're actually hearing the C note on your cut, which is not generally how a cut is done. It's much faster than that, so it's more an interruption in the tone rather than a distinct note. It has no melodic value -- only rhythmic.

Check out Brother Steve's website (link on the C&F Links page) for more info, but if I'm hearing you correctly, playing your cuts as more of a cut than a note should help with any melodic similarities.

:-)
Steven
NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

other tunes to go with it could be boys of ballisodare, rocky road to dublin, but check which key you are really playing it in... I have played it with those two and the butterfly when the key sig had only one sharp (F#) or the key of G, but I play it at the session in D with other tunes...

Another clue to the key (for this tune) is the note it starts on: if it starts on G it is in G, if it starts with D, it is in D... but only for this tune in particular...
fluter_d

Re: Playing Technique on "Drops of Brandy"

Post by fluter_d »

Hi Scott!
srt19170 wrote:...a few measures after the "BGB BGB" you play "BGB CBA" and I find that if I cut the repeated Bs in the first phrase (inserting Cnats), it ends up sounding too melodically similar to the later measures, and the whole tune loses some of it's liveliness.
As mentioned above, if you're hearing the Cnat, you're playing the cut too slowly. A cut is a rhythmic, not a melodic ornament, so it won't matter whether you're playing a Cnat or a C#. The trick is to play that cut so quickly that you hear a blip, but can't figure out the note. (Same goes for any cut, not just where Cnat/# is in question). So, I'd stop worrying about getting that Cnat, and work on moving that pesky index finger faster.
srt19170 wrote:I half-hole by rolling off my index finger, so the motion involved in playing "..B CBA" and later "CBC A2 BCBA" is quite interesting -- essentially rolling the barrel of the whistle back and forth because of the alternating Cnats and other notes.
The half-holing thing is great! Good for you! However, I'd have to say that if you're actually rolling the barrel of the whistle as you play, you're more likely not to be able to hit that Cnat consistently than if you can keep the barrel steady. When I play, my top thumb is approx. half way between my index and middle fiingers - except on the back of the whistle, of course :P! This means, though, that when I want to half-hole, I can do so simply by straightening the first knuckle of my index finger, while keeping the barrel exactly in place. I'd suggest that you experiment with how best to keep the barrel steady - in a tune with lots of CBC/BCB patterns, it'll be easy to play fast and still hold onto the whistle.

Deirdre
srt19170

Post by srt19170 »

Thanks all for the comments.

I probably am slower on the cut than I should be -- I'm half-holing for the cut as well, and I'm just not that fast. I know I could switch over and cut with the C# (and maybe I will) but I wanted to experiment with cutting with the half-hole. Also, I'm aware that I'm cutting the notes, and so I'm probably hearing what someone else might not. I'll keep working on it and see where it goes.

Fluter_d, thanks for the half-holing advice. I'll try to lift my finger more than roll the barrel. Part of the problem is that I practice a lot on a very narrow whistle with small tone holes, which makes it more difficult to get a good Cnat just by flexing my first knuckle. But what you say makes sense, and I know that I'll regret it later if I don't make the time to learn the technique correct at the beginning!

-- Scott
vomitbunny

Post by vomitbunny »

Anyone have a link to that tune? I don't have a book that contains it, nor do I have a link to it.
My opinion is stupid and wrong.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

vomitbunny wrote:Anyone have a link to that tune? I don't have a book that contains it, nor do I have a link to it.
Here are the versions available on JC's tunefinder:

http://trillian.mit.edu/~jc/cgi/abc/fin ... %29&L=1000

--James
janice

Post by janice »

Give Us A Drink of Water goes well with Drops of Brandy...added bonus, you get a drink themed set.
vomitbunny

Post by vomitbunny »

peeplj wrote:
vomitbunny wrote:Anyone have a link to that tune? I don't have a book that contains it, nor do I have a link to it.
Here are the versions available on JC's tunefinder:

http://trillian.mit.edu/~jc/cgi/abc/fin ... %29&L=1000

--James
Wow. thanks. I don't see how I missed finding that page.
My opinion is stupid and wrong.
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

We've had some fun following that tune with a mildly contemplative, yet strongly rhythmic version of "Kid on the Mountain." (you could always tuck the Butterfly in between, too)

What about starting the set off with "A Fig for a Kiss"?

Also, for variety and sometimes a little jazzy flavor (although NEVER on the first pass), I might shade in (i.e., sort of half-holing, but more like not putting your A finger all the way down) an A-sharp in certain of those BGB tuplets; i.e., DED BA#B BA#B. I also sometimes do short B rolls on the first tuplet or maybe both if the spirit and fingers will move -- and then, to lighten things up on say, the third pass (especially if I've done the rolls), I'll sometimes simply hold the B through the triplet, thus: DED B__ BGB BGB as an "ornamentation antidote."

(I might cut into that long B with a shaded A (i.e., sort of an A-sharp) as well. )(or play DED BBB BBB ... and just tap the B's)

Finally, you can also shift tune to A major (or not) and play it with "The Snowy Path."

Hope this helps!
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Oops, this is what happens when you post on an empty stomach.

Technically, I think an A# would be called a "shaded B".

With much remorse,
Her Schmuckness.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
srt19170

Post by srt19170 »

Fluter_d or Cathy, any chance you can record a version of the tune and send it my way (or post it to Snips & Clips or somewhere)? I'd like to hear your versions...

-- Scott
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Tell you what. If I can figure out how to make a recording, I'll be happy to. I've got a suspicion my new pickup mic will plug directly into the computer (it's a tiny little cord & plug), so this might not be too hard .... of course, I'll have to find some sort of Mac recording software, but let me see what I come up with over the weekend.

:eek: Yikes! Performance anxiety already!
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Cathy Wilde wrote:Tell you what. If I can figure out how to make a recording, I'll be happy to. I've got a suspicion my new pickup mic will plug directly into the computer (it's a tiny little cord & plug), so this might not be too hard .... of course, I'll have to find some sort of Mac recording software, but let me see what I come up with over the weekend.

:eek: Yikes! Performance anxiety already!
Get GarageBand, straight off the apple webpage. Transcribe! let's you record as well, as do several others.

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/a ... eband.html

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/audio/audiox.html

http://www.seventhstring.demon.co.uk/xscribe/index.html

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

audacity is free, btw (open source).
/Bloomfield