Oboe as ITM instrument?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Wombat
antispam: No

Post by Wombat »

Is the problem with oboe reeds any more of a problem than with sax reeds or clarinet reeds? Sax players need at least two or three good reeds per sax that are playable at any given period in time. You need to dry out reeds after use before using them again which is why one won't do if you play a lot. Out of the box, very few reeds are good straight off; they need cutting, filing and shaving to get them sweet. They also wear out relatively quickly.

At first, this fussing is a right pain. After a while it gets to be habitual, just like brushing your teeth.
Pat Cannady
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Pat Cannady »

I would say oboe reeds are worse than sax reeds - I played alto sax in my school days and the problems you cite were common. At least you could expect that a few reeds out of a box would turn out OK.

Oboe reeds are and other types of double reeds (including UP reeds) are much more complex in design and harder to make. They consist of two pieces of gouged, scraped cane bound to a flared copper tube called a staple. The length of the cane blades, the shape and length of the scrape, the inner dimensions of the staple, and the internal volume of the entire system are essential to controlling intonation and playability.

You can buy oboe or bassoon reeds at a shop, but because they are more labor intensive they are more expensive. Most store-bought oboe reeds that work leave lot to be desired in terms of tone and tuning, so you're better off buying the tools and supplies and making them yourself.

Yes it would get to be habitual after a while. A very steep learning curve nonetheless. It's worth doing well; it's not worth doing half-assed.

I still stand by my statement that it's not for dabblers. If you just like to play a half hour or so every 2-3 days, and have no time for a more serious level of commitment, then don't bother.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

At least you could expect that a few reeds out of a box would turn out OK.
Q: How many clarinetists (or saxophonists) does it take to put in a light bulb?

A: Just one, but he/she'll go thru a whole box to find the right one.

:wink:
Kevin L. Rietmann
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Kevin L. Rietmann »

Oboists and Bassooners are the most neurotic musicians in orchestras. 'Struth. :boggle: :boggle: :boggle: :boggle:

No one has mentioned Tomas O'Cainnan's Slow Airs of Ireland book and cassette, now it's CD, which has various "unconvential" instruments playing some of the tunes - I think there's oboe in there. I know one gee plays a soprano sax. "Ladies and Gentlemen, playing Taimse mo Chodlah, Kenny G!"
Sax is a lovely instrument. Try saying that about the banjo with a straight face! Some 78's had the sax going, one Paddy Killoran record had a solo. Cool! Blow, daddy! A few saxers are around, Leo Schott of Philadelphia for instance.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

It's in the wind. It's inevitable. By popular demand.

The reformed Moving Hearts. :lol:
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Nanohedron wrote:

The ones you really have to watch out for are those who take a file and a Stanley knife to the rest, and then use them. :o
Alan
Tell us something.: From the land beyond beyond. From the time past hope and fear. I bid you, Genie, now appear! Well, the Genie did not appear but the notification to type at least 100 characters did so I am back and typing some more as you, if anyone actually sees this, can probably tell.

Post by Alan »

Wombat wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:

The ones you really have to watch out for are those who take a file and a Stanley knife to the rest, and then use them. :o
Stop talking about me like this, Wombat. I'm just 'thrifty'. Besides, I don't use a file I use sandpaper! :lol:
Alan
glauber

Post by glauber »

Josie McDermott played sax professionally, didn't him? I'm not sure if it was IrTrad or not.
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

glauber wrote:Josie McDermott played sax professionally, didn't him? I'm not sure if it was IrTrad or not.
As I recall, he played a number of different genres, not just ITM.
glauber

Post by glauber »

Nanohedron wrote:
glauber wrote:Josie McDermott played sax professionally, didn't him? I'm not sure if it was IrTrad or not.
As I recall, he played a number of different genres, not just ITM.
Yeah, he had a jazz band; i'm not sure if he did any IrTrad saxing. It's a question for Harry Bradley (better put it in the UP forum! :)).
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--