A whistle recommendations?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
tin tin
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

A whistle recommendations?

Post by tin tin »

I've come discover that my favorite whistle key is A (followed by Bb)--it's high enough to still sound whistle-y and yet the upper octave is low enough not to be piercing or shrill. So I'm curious as to what recommendations people might offer for A (or maybe Bb) whistles--the main characteristic I'm looking for is agility. (In terms of playability, I want a whistle that has more high whistle allegiances than low.) In terms of tone and price, I'm open...
Micah
Last edited by tin tin on Wed Feb 25, 2004 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lawrence
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Lawrence »

I have a Dixon Mezzo-Soprano A that I truly love. It plays quite easily and has a lovely tone in both octaves. I guess I'd call it mellow.

I don't have a Bb yet, but I have a Hoover aluminum/Whitecap on order. I can give you an opinion in a few weeks.
Lawrence
"Well, Scotty, now you've done it!" - McCoy
"Aye. The haggis is in the fire for sure." - Scotty
BillG

Post by BillG »

I have a Dixon Bb which I keep within reach most of the time for easy play. I play more flute than whistle but when I see or hear a tune unfamiliar to me ( and there are thousands of those ) I often reach for the Bb and give 'em a go. Dixon makes good stuff. If I find it really catches me then I ABC it and go for the flute - depending which one it sounds better on. I find it easier to grab a whistle and play the tune than it is to grab a flute (maybe put it together if not a delrin).

BillG
BillG
- - -
<><
Six Ps! (Poor Prior Practice Prevents Proper Performance)
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

I've played them all, and I have to recommend a (wooden) Thin Weasel by Glenn Schultz.
~JessieD
livethe question

Post by livethe question »

Burke Composite

Beautiful sound. Not too pure but pure enough. Woody sound. Blends well with other instruments but can stand alone if need be

My opinion, obviously

jim d
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

I have a Hoover Whitecap alumium A that I like a lot. As you said, the upper octave being less shrill is a real plus.

The octaves are balanced as well as any of my D whistles. Playing in approximately the same range (first octave D and E, for example), it seems to be the loudest of my whistles (tweaked Clarke original D, Whitecap/Feadog D, Dixon PVC D, Burke narrow bore aluminum D, Burke wide bore brass C).

It's nice both for slow airs, which is what I mostly work on, and for bluesy pieces, like "Summertime" and "St. James Infirmary". I can get a pretty good bit of expression out of it with vibrato, slides, and note-bending.

I've just been learning "The Dear Irish Boy" from "Mel Bay's Complete Irish Tin Whistle Book", which has the music written in B minor for the D whistle, but has the recorded version played on the A whistle. It goes all the way up to third-octave D as written, but by transposing it to E minor in the written version and playing it on the A whistle, I can play it an octave lower, which is much, much nicer, and, I can play along with the CD, as well.
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
slowair

Post by slowair »

I have a Sindt A/Bb combo set.

Hardly ever play the Bb, but frequently play the A.

Great sound, easy to play, doesn't require much air. Price is right too.

Best thing about the A is that you can play the key of D with it.

Happy picking.

Mike
Bretton
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistle for a very long time, but never seem to get any better than I was about 10 years ago. I'm okay with that. :)

Post by Bretton »

One of my consistently favorite whistles over the past 3 years has been my Water Weasel Bb. If you don't have the cash for a wooden whistle from Glenn, try a Water Weasel...I think his Bb & A's really excell.

I've also heard nice things about Overton A's (Colin said it's his favorite key), but I've not had a chance to try one.

-Brett
billw

Post by billw »

Micah, I've sent you a PM
Bill Whedon
Serpent Music
Ye Olde Whistlesmith Saying:
A whistle without a fipple, is just a piece of leaky pipe!

Click the WWW and come have some fun with poems and music and now BOOKS! and check out the preeeety whistles and the T-shirts with attitude! :D
jonharl

Post by jonharl »

The Sindt A I had was just superb. This is the lowest whistle John makes. I think it's very nimble.
kevin m.

Post by kevin m. »

The Sindt 'A' also has a full tone.It's maybe the nearest thing that you'd get to a 'good' Generation 'A', if they ever decided to introduce an 'A' model!
One for the 'Trad' fans! :D
"I blame it on those Lead Fipples y'know."
tomcat
Tell us something.: Used to live in Gilbert, AZ which is a suburb of Phoenix. Recently moved to Portland OR. Argh. Not sure if this is meeting the requirement of number of characters, but I'm trying.

Post by tomcat »

a while back, i went on a quest for a good a. cash was an object for me - so i didn't try the thin weasel as jessie suggested (although i do now have a thin weasel d and absolutely love it!). i tried several in the mid to low range market. i have stuck with a hoover a. its quite good imo. a close second, although they sound totally different, was a chieftian a.
Hiro Ringo

Post by Hiro Ringo »

Sindt A is good if you want to use it for D tunes. :)
vomitbunny

Post by vomitbunny »

Great. I read the post. Now I need a whistle in A. I bet yall enjoy drinking beer in front of recovering alcoholics, too.
My opinion is stupid and wrong.
Rick Davidson

Post by Rick Davidson »

JessieK wrote:I've played them all, and I have to recommend a (wooden) Thin Weasel by Glenn Schultz.
I just got a Thin Weasel Honduras Rosewood in A by Glenn Schultz last week. Just getting used to the whistle, but it seems to be what I was looking for in tone; in fact the wood characteristic in the tone is better than what I was hoping for. The added value is the look of this beauty; truely a great piece of craftmanship and art.

I would easily recommend one!
For the good are always the merry,
Save by an evil chance,
And the merry love the fiddle,
And the merry love to dance.
-Saint Peter???