who are the true heroes of this new age of piping?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Harry
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Harry »

djm wrote:

...Have you used the books on technique for Willie Clancy or Patsy Tuohey? I'm thinking it would be great if one were written for Doran's technique, as well. I can hardly stop drooling waiting for the one on Ennis' playing. I'm nowhere near clever enough to pick this stuff out on my own yet, especially the how-to's.
Interpretive books may help get the ball rolling but it's something that you will have take time over to develop somewhere along the line if you really want to be alert to those little intricacies. I'd say try it anyway, you might surprise yourself. I wholeheartedly agree that it would be great to see a Doran book. I've used the Clancy and Touhey books a bit, they are very good if you are music literate.

I don't have any particular Doran favorites because what I'm talking about is all over his music. The hornpipe set springs to mind (The Sweep's, The Harvest Home, The High Level) and Colonel fraser with a great job on My Love is in America after it (I love that tune on the pipes anyway).

Regards,

Harry.
Last edited by Harry on Tue Feb 24, 2004 6:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

Thanks. I'll give those tunes an especial listening to see what I can make of them.

djm
john mcsherry

Post by john mcsherry »

While we are at it can you explain what you mean by 'progessive'? On man's progression might be another man's nemisis.
I can discern a pipers influences from Doran by listening to their piping based on my knowledge of Doran's playing and modern playing standards. It is great of course if such a player gives anyone a will to play but there is much of great musical merit in Doran's piping that is simply not being done.
On your point of good tuning/ good piping/ good music- I shudder to think what would have been lost from piping if we had always been that unfairly judgemental and had sought to cram just the things that are immediately 'easy' for us to comprehend and deal with into our own contexts.

Hello Harry,
Congratulations by the way. Great news! A lot of sleepless nights ahead but well worth it!

Anyway, back to the topic.
Firstly, you asked me for the meaning ofthe word progressive. OK!
Progressive means to make use of new ideas , findings or opportunities. Modern piping is surely progressive in this sense of the word. It has made its way from existing solely in the Irish tradition to entering into disparate and sometimes more challenging musical realms. It has become more tuneful to the ear, and whether you like it or not, hearing is a sense which you can choose to hone or not. It has become more rhythmical with the effective use of punctuation on certain notes, creating a particular dynamic. It's repertoire has been expanding with the influx of original and unusual pieces of music taking piping in all directions. I could go on!

If this sort of progression is your nemisis then...(I'm lost for words).

Secondly, I don't think you can discern an influence in a pipers style that easily. I made this point earlier but I don't think you grasped it. Let's say, for example, that you had never heard of the relationship between Clancy and Doran before. Would it then be so easy to detect the influence of Doran on Clancys' style? As I said before, the two styles are completely different. Today, many pipers borrow from a wide range of sources (Doran I'm sure being one), taking the best bits, as they see them, and dropping them into there own style. Because these borrowed bits are not in your face, doesn't mean they're not there. As well, in a lot of the older styles, over embellishment was prominent, so much so that at times it interferred with the flow of the melody. Modern players, I think, are more aware of this, preferring a more sensitive or subtle approach to ornamentation.

And lastly, I don't think anybody's being unfairly judgemental. The 'dance' music these older pipers played is more or less the same dance music a lot of us are playing today. You, yourself should know that almost all trad tunes have a swing, groove, rhythm etc to them. Good players feel this - great players add flair, style, technique and personality. It's not all that different now to how it was then. Even back in the 20's you had the likes of Morrison and McKenna swinging the music with flair and passion.
Clumsyness was not part of their repertoire.

I can certainly see the importence of these older 'master' pipers and indeed I enjoy and respect their music but have they been elevated to greatness just because they were instrumental in keeping a dying tradition alive? That feat in itself was great but was the playing so great that we can't see beyond it?

I'm getting thirsty for that pint!
Cheers
John
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

Here's my take on all this: two more solo albums please, one by Harry, one by John McSherry. Hey, that's got a nice ring to it.
Harry

Post by Harry »

Anyway, back to the topic.
Firstly, you asked me for the meaning ofthe word progressive. OK!
Progressive means to make use of new ideas , findings or opportunities. Modern piping is surely progressive in this sense of the word. It has made its way from existing solely in the Irish tradition to entering into disparate and sometimes more challenging musical realms. It has become more tuneful to the ear, and whether you like it or not, hearing is a sense which you can choose to hone or not.
John, I have just spent much of my previous posts advocating listening to players, as many as possible! I think people should be listening to more pipers.Why wouldn't I like people listening to a piper... any piper!? Piping may have become more 'tuneful' to your ear, others would disagree. Get over it.
It has become more rhythmical with the effective use of punctuation on certain notes, creating a particular dynamic.
I don't agree that it has become 'more rhythmical'. I would perceive it as being probably less rhythmic, or that the rhythms have become more standardised and rigid, that 'certain dynamic' is maybe a bit too certain throughout the modern piping world for my tastes, an alternative or two would be nice. There was another rhytmic option used by older players to varying degrees (Touhey was one of them) where a bounce was created by accentuating the backbeat, this is quite prevailent on some of the 78 disk recordings. It has almost completely gone from piping and the music in general. What are these new punctuations that you talk about?
If this sort of progression is your nemisis then...(I'm lost for words).
It is not, I didn't say that it was, and you do not seem to be lost for words yet. I was making the point that 'progression' is a word used by people doing all sorts of things and by some who are trying to pull wool over people's eyes (as are the terms 'Traditionalist' or 'Purist' of times) . To the eternally defensive self styled innovators (like innovation in Irish music is something new!) it is the tonic to those crusty old 'Purists' who hate change, don't like bongos and are probably fascist in outlook. The truth is that innovation runs much deeper and further back in many subtle ways at the very heart of the tradition. Subtlty does'nt seem to sell these days though. So I am not apologetic for questioning the nature and quality of change, progression does not simply equal good all of the time as history regularly proves, things can change for reasons which people don't like sometimes and it rarely does not have a cost. Progress has a habit of disappearing up it's own orifice as well if the changes are solely determined by market forces and transient popular fads .
Secondly, I don't think you can discern an influence in a pipers style that easily. I made this point earlier but I don't think you grasped it. Let's say, for example, that you had never heard of the relationship between Clancy and Doran before. Would it then be so easy to detect the influence of Doran on Clancys' style?
Erm... yes. We are talking about the same Willie Clancy, right?
As I said before, the two styles are completely different.
There is a tape you should hear made, I think, in the 1950's when Clancy was really emulating Doran. It might change your mind somewhat if you heard it. It highlighted to me just how much Clancy had taken from Doran.
Today, many pipers borrow from a wide range of sources (Doran I'm sure being one), taking the best bits, as they see them, and dropping them into there own style. Because these borrowed bits are not in your face, doesn't mean they're not there. As well, in a lot of the older styles, over embellishment was prominent, so much so that at times it interferred with the flow of the melody. Modern players, I think, are more aware of this, preferring a more sensitive or subtle approach to ornamentation.
I'm sorry John, but there's an awful lot in Doran's (not to mention others) that is not in my face these days, it's just not there. I'm surprised to hear a self confessed Doran fan criticise 'over embellishment'. Was'nt he fairly 'in your face'?
And lastly, I don't think anybody's being unfairly judgemental. The 'dance' music these older pipers played is more or less the same dance music a lot of us are playing today. You, yourself should know that almost all trad tunes have a swing, groove, rhythm etc to them. Good players feel this - great players add flair, style, technique and personality. It's not all that different now to how it was then. Even back in the 20's you had the likes of Morrison and McKenna swinging the music with flair and passion.
Clumsyness was not part of their repertoire.
I've got a handful of tracks of each that, by the way you are talking, would turn you white, and there are plenty of fluff ups in other tracks besides. They all had their off days, but they didn't seem to beat themselves up about it too much (maybe they enjoyed themselves too much?).
I can certainly see the importence of these older 'master' pipers and indeed I enjoy and respect their music but have they been elevated to greatness just because they were instrumental in keeping a dying tradition alive?
John
I'm sad to hear you say that, John.

You tell me. Should Doran only be remembered for 'keeping it alive'? Should Mc Kenna, Morrison, Clancy, Ennis, Touhey?

Why does it seem that the more "succesful" the music becomes the less it values itself?

Regards,

Harry.
gryffyth

new age heroes

Post by gryffyth »

As the instigator of this topic, I thought it time to jump back in.
As a brand new piper, I have been fascinated, nay, overwhelmed at the response to this posting. While not pretending to understand or venture an opinion on the people, history, technique or musicology previously cited, I think my original intention was somewhat lost in the fray. I wanted to highlight the efforts of a particular individual who went above and beyond the call of duty to ensure that an instument in his posession didn't sit idle but got expeditiously in to the hands of a newcomer. Also, his society actively promotes a loanership program and I think that is tremendously admirable. Additionally, there is a burgeoning movement toward alternative materials and construction techniques with a thought toward lowering the costly initial outlay of this madness. Starting the pipes, it would seem, has all kinds of initial intimidations, cost, availability of an instrument, tutoring, tuning, the list goes on. My question was; "who are the true heroes of this new age of pipng?" What I was thinking, and I am completely open to conjecture, is that, are these heroes not the individuals who give tirelessly of themselves and their free time to assist the "newbies" with all of these issues with no thought toward personal gain.

Let's take some time to single out these individuals and their efforts!

Kevin L. Rietmann

Post by Kevin L. Rietmann »

I like that track of John McKenna's where he lilts in between playing the tune. He takes about a half bar to put the flute down, the piano player can't compensate at all! Just try and keep up, buddy.
I've never heard anyone fully sucessfully "clone" another piper. You'd have to have the same instrument, same reeds! John Rooney's one of the closest I've heard - he really sounds like Felix Doran, which I think is great. Willie Clancy could really play like J. Doran, too - have somebody copy the Folktrax CD of him and Bobby Casey. Except for the bits that sound like Willie. Mostly it's the regulation that sounds like Johnny. I've another tape from 1962 that's like that. I think he cut out the keyboarding after he got married! Didn't want to keep the wife awake!
There's no harm in emulation if you ask me. What's that thing they say about it being the greatest compliment or something? Some of these younger pipers are perhaps a bit anonymous, though. I can't remember anything about their piping; nothing stands out. And it's a marvelous instrument in that regard - you can tell you're about to hear some of these pipers just by the way they fire the things up.
As for heroics - Breandan Breathnach, Pat Mitchell, Jackie Small, Terry Moylan; and more! Somone else'll list 'em all. Denis Brooks for us Yanks, for sure. I think Geoff Wooff's a hero of sorts for finding out just how great an instrument we can, or could, be playing, too.
AlanB
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by AlanB »

Harry said <There is a tape you should hear made, I think, in the 1950's when Clancy was really emulating Doran.>

Just where are these recordings tucked away??

With all this talk of emulating Doran, or learning from, how do we differentiate what is "Doranesque" in someones playing, when we (as far as I know) have only the one set of recordings to judge this by and oral testimony? Willie would say "That's the way Doran had it", and ok you'd have to accept that and there's no reason to doubt that, but if it is technique or setting from the recordings, is that enough? e.g. Does the fact that I use an amount of his version of Fermoy Lasses mean I am a 'clone' or have I absorbed it properly because I have interpreted it (as far as I'm concerned) as well as listened to and transcripted it, and could you tell :wink:

Alan

[quote="Kevin L. Rietmann"]
I've never heard anyone fully sucessfully "clone" another piper. quote]

Ronan Browne can do a nice turn in impressions.
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

Willie could certainly play the pipes in a manner that sounded like Johnny Doran when he wanted to. I remember Pat Mitchell playing a kitchen tape of Willie piping away to us some years back. It didn't sound anything like the official commercial recordings that were/are available. It was an eyeopener for me at the time. Pat also mentioned that more often than not the commercial recordings made of Willie often caught him at a bad time, when he hadn't played the pipes for some time due to work, and had to quickly get them in order, or when he was ill, or just not in a piping mood. Who cares if his pipes, regs were out of tune or not, he played with feeling and had the nyaah, wich is more than can be said for many pipers playing these days.
john mcsherry

Post by john mcsherry »

I'm sad to hear you say that, John.

You tell me. Should Doran only be remembered for 'keeping it alive'? Should Mc Kenna, Morrison, Clancy, Ennis, Touhey?

Hello Harry,
That is not what I'm saying. If you had taken time to digest the rest of my quote in which I said, "That feat was great in itself but was the playing so great that we can't look beyond it?"
Beyond it, Harry! That doesn't mean that we have to de-value it's importance or it's great qualities. That would be very stupid indeed.
I may have struck a raw nerve by questioning whether or not we should be idolising, worshipping, and defending beyond reason these old masters while overlooking what has been happening in piping recently - putting it down for "not being like it was".
There is a tape you should hear made, I think, in the 1950's when Clancy was really emulating Doran. It might change your mind somewhat if you heard it. It highlighted to me just how much Clancy had taken from Doran.
I haven't heard this tape and by what your saying , if you hadn't either then the Doran in Clancy's later style would not have been so apparent to you. I think Alan B says it very well below.
With all this talk of emulating Doran, or learning from, how do we differentiate what is "Doranesque" in someones playing, when we (as far as I know) have only the one set of recordings to judge this by and oral testimony? Willie would say "That's the way Doran had it", and ok you'd have to accept that and there's no reason to doubt that, but if it is technique or setting from the recordings, is that enough? e.g. Does the fact that I use an amount of his version of Fermoy Lasses mean I am a 'clone' or have I absorbed it properly because I have interpreted it (as far as I'm concerned) as well as listened to and transcripted it, and could you tell.
I'm sorry John, but there's an awful lot in Doran's (not to mention others) that is not in my face these days, it's just not there. I'm surprised to hear a self confessed Doran fan criticise 'over embellishment'. Was'nt he fairly 'in your face'?
All that Doran did, in my opinion, was not steeped in gold. Sometimes he did over-embellish to the detriment of the melody. He wasn't infalible unless you think he was some kind of god. I love his playing but I don't pretend to like every single thing that he did.

To the eternally defensive self styled innovators (like innovation in Irish music is something new!) it is the tonic to those crusty old 'Purists' who hate change, don't like bongos and are probably fascist in outlook.
Who are these self styled innovators of piping. Remember we're talking about piping here. Have they stepped away from the tradition so much so that it annoys you? Have they progressed in the wrong way, as you see it or have they actually regressed? Pray, give some advice and let them know where they're going wrong!

Anyway we could go on forever talking about this.
At the end of the day it all boils down to taste.
Regards.
John
Last edited by john mcsherry on Wed Feb 25, 2004 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
danny

Post by danny »

watch your low blows and your rabbit punches,now lets get it on? :lol:
Rick

Post by Rick »

This whole thing is like.., i drive my car like Shumacher, he drives his car like Mansell...
In the end we all drive to get from A to B.
Same with piping..
B plays like A, C plays like B, etc etc
Why not play like you?

Just play what you like (from others you hear) and don't "force" anything down peoples throat because YOU think it's supposed to be different.

Just my opinion.

Like someone once said, just play the damn thing! :P
And like John said, it's all a matter of personal taste in the end..
Harry

Post by Harry »

Hello Harry,
That is not what I'm saying. If you had taken time to digest the rest of my quote in which I said, "That feat was great in itself but was the playing so great that we can't look beyond it?"
Beyond it, Harry! That doesn't mean that we have to de-value it's importance or it's great qualities. That would be very stupid indeed.
I may have struck a raw nerve by questioning whether or not we should be idolising, worshipping, and defending beyond reason these old masters while overlooking what has been happening in piping recently - putting it down for "not being like it was".
Hello John,

I don't think that there is the understanding of old styles apparent in the wider piping community for me not to feel a bit edgy with talk of 'looking beyond', I would prefer more of a balance. It would strike me more as if certain older and very interesting styles are being simply overlooked. Such is life. Your statement with regards to the levels of value that we put on older player's music was a clear one regardless of it's context (conflicting as it's context was).
I haven't heard this tape and by what your saying , if you hadn't either then the Doran in Clancy's later style would not have been so apparent to you. I think Alan B says it very well below.
As you said, you have'nt heard the tape. Alan said-
With all this talk of emulating Doran, or learning from, how do we differentiate what is "Doranesque" in someones playing, when we (as far as I know) have only the one set of recordings to judge this by and oral testimony? Willie would say "That's the way Doran had it", and ok you'd have to accept that and there's no reason to doubt that, but if it is technique or setting from the recordings, is that enough? e.g. Does the fact that I use an amount of his version of Fermoy Lasses mean I am a 'clone' or have I absorbed it properly because I have interpreted it (as far as I'm concerned) as well as listened to and transcripted it, and could you tell.
Alan, wouldn't it seem quite obvious that he was playing after Doran by his employment of some of the very distinctive ornaments in a similar way to that Doran used them, at a similar pace with a similar use of off-the-knee toning, with similar reg acoompaniment, when it is common knowledge that he was heavily influenced by Doran, when he and other experts who were contemporary to him have said so(including Pat Mitchell who wrote the Clancy book), when he did it as proved by a lengthy recording among the other considerable evidence... nuff said.

As I pointed out in an earlier post, just copying someone is not the end result IMO. Copying them closely to acquire the 'tricks of the trade' is a very good way of learning though. The next stage of the other, inspired stuff, the variation, the pacing, learned through experimentation and constant absorbtion from diverse resources is what separates a piper who is optimising his resources from one who is performing a relatively safe copying exercise, does'nt make them a bad person or a bad piper but it's all very audible.
All that Doran did, in my opinion, was not steeped in gold. Sometimes he did over-embellish to the detriment of the melody. He wasn't infalible unless you think he was some kind of god. I love his playing but I don't pretend to like every single thing that he did.
I can listen to his music and accept it John, all of it, including the stuff that ruffles your feathers. I don't romanticise the man, I don't put him on a pillar or in a box. I certainly don't consider him a God. This is our main area of variance- he was a human so he was prone to imperfection as you point out. I would tend to accept that in people and music as a factor in the way we are as beings. If the 'fire' was there then any fluffed notes wouldn't neccesarily mar or taint the performance for me. I think it's inevitable in an approach that was as free and liberated as Doran's occuring when it did when standards and tastes were quite different. It's a simple difference of approach, don't let it get on your wick.
Who are these self styled innovators of piping. Remember we're talking about piping here. Have they stepped away from the tradition so much so that it annoys you? Have they progressed in the wrong way, as you see it or have they actually digressed? Pray, give some advice and let them know where they're going wrong!
Piping's 'progress' hasn't annoyed me (my 'innovator'/'purist' relationship was in refernce to a wider debate that has not affected piping directly so much thank God, it is a valid point in relation to the popular, throw away use of the term 'innovator' though) although I would question the nature of and reasons for it. The stepping away from the piping traditions in a stylistic sense is lamentable as there is so much great diversity of voice there, but I know it is not controllable and you seem to think that it's value to the modern player is debatable. You seem to want to think that I am trying to impose something here John. If you read my posts it is quite clear that all that I'm trying to put across is that there is a huge resource lying dormant in older piping. Avenues of approach and technique there to be interpreted and maybe 'improved' or elaborated on. I don't apologise for finding modern popular piping's movement away from this unfortunate nor do I apologise for feeling that too few pipers are being copied too closely.

I can't help getting the feeling that the new 'progressive' movement as portrayed by you in your posts is all up for importing stuff from afar, tinkering up the music to modern pop standards, yet it seems nervous or reluctant to approach it's past which it has'nt really seemed to come to terms with or accept yet?

Regards,

Harry.
djm

Post by djm »

Sorry, Harry, but I think both John and yourself are setting youselves up for a never-ending debate due to the use of nebulous terms instead of citing specific examples or <gasp> naming names. Who is it that is a "modern piper" whose playing is so devoid of the many available examples of older piping styles that irks you so much? Whose piping do you consider to be overly influenced by modern pop styles? What particular tunes or albums are you referring to that you are disaffected with, and what exactly do you think could be done to improve the piping on them?

Sorry to put you on the spot, but I am finding this whole debate very educational. :D

djm
Patrick D'Arcy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

Whisht everyone.... leave Harry and John to get on with it. It's a great discussion, leave them to it.

PD.