Learned something interesting today.

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Chuck_Clark
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Chuck_Clark »

This morning, whle my wife did whatever it is her church does for two hours, I thought I'd go by the park and read and perhaps play a bit. It was sunny, with a sort of nearly mild temperature and not too many other park users.

I'd read a bit, then play a few pieces until my hands got cold, then stick the Sweetone D back into my vest to warm up while I read a bit more. Since I was making more than a few flubs and missteps, when someone got too close I'd put the whistle down.

I was flat out amazed by how many people said things like 'please don't stop, it's so pretty'. (It wasn't). Can't these people hear? I sounded like one of the first-week gag contestants on American Idol.

Then it hit me. Somehow, they weren't hearing the mistakes - just the other part. So I just went on tootling (and occasionally squeaking) and while no one stopped to listen, they also didn't scowl or throw rocks.

Odd. Truly odd.
elendil

Post by elendil »

they also didn't scowl or throw rocks.
You're kidding! You mean that was you in the park? I went to Mass on Saturday night and was out for my Sunday morning walk. Talk about a small world. :o
elendil
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

You've discovered the Secret. :)

Usually we sound much better to others than we do to ourselves. 8)

There is an exception, though: if the others in question are also whistle players, then we sound much worse to them than we really do. :D :P :twisted:

--James
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

Gosh, I get flustered and goof up playing for MYSELF into my MIC!!!

Good on you, to actually play in public!!!

You have charmed a few folk, what a nice thing to do on a Sunday! :) Make a Joyful Noise!

Mary
fluter_d

Re: Learned something interesting today.

Post by fluter_d »

Chuck_Clark wrote:I was flat out amazed by how many people said things like 'please don't stop, it's so pretty'. (It wasn't). Can't these people hear? I sounded like one of the first-week gag contestants on American Idol.
Chuck, Chuck. There's no way a whistler could sound that bad...

:P :D :lol:

Deirdre
Duffy

Post by Duffy »

I found that out last summer. Wanna feel great, go play in the park. No one throws rocks and you'll get nice complements, except for one little wise acre who shook his head and told me to keep on practicing, I'd get it right one day. Also the moms never thought I was a bearded dirty old man looking for kiddy victems. They didn't realize I was watching them. Really, whistling is how I spend my time when I take the grandkids to the park to play. Someday I may get over my "playing in public panic" and be able to play in a session with the rest of the group.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

*sniff* ..I just attract squirrels and bagpeople who ask me for money. *sniff*
emmline

Post by emmline »

So...the secret is to play in the earshot of people other than your family who have no reservations about suggesting that you're a)a slacker, b)an annoying toodler, or c)a dork.
Chas Zee

Post by Chas Zee »

I haven't played the whistle outside much, but I've played my trumpet in parks and have only been verbally assaulted once. Now I'm a little more cautious and usually do my practicing in the car at lunchtime.

Had a pretty funny incident today at lunch. Two ladies were walking their dogs and looking around. They thought the sound was coming from across the way and as they walked by one said, "What's that?" and the other one said "I don't know, is there a racetrack nearby?" Guess they thought I was playing the Call to Post. If I ever see them again I'll be sure to make a loud horse whinny on the horn.

Charlie
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

People ALWAYS react positively to hearing live music. No matter how bad you think you are, you are already probably better than they are. Most people are used to hearing music performed by professionals, and seem amazed to see that "normal" people can do it too.
Tell them how easy it really is to learn this instrument, and steer them to Chiff and Fipple. We'll take over from there... :P
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
OnTheMoor

Post by OnTheMoor »

Whenever I think I'm starting to get okay I call my girlfriend over and she quickly laughs me into starting the learning from the beginning again.
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

Sadly there is no icon which represents an arched eyebrow and a finger pointing towards the door...which would likely be my response to such heartless derision where I would hope for encouragement. :moreevil:
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

brewerpaul wrote:People ALWAYS react positively to hearing live music. No matter how bad you think you are, you are already probably better than they are. Most people are used to hearing music performed by professionals, and seem amazed to see that "normal" people can do it too.
You're absolutely right, and It's a lesson I'd forgotten. Years ago, in my reeenactor days, I hung around with a number of local folk musicians (professional musicians, as long as wealth is not the prime determinor of talent), every one of whom was far better than I'll ever be.

I seldom had the chutzpah to play with them, although once in a long while I'd play along on dulcimer if the piece was slow enough. But not once in those years was I or anyone else ever made to feel inadequate or unwelcome, even if our musical contribution was no more than clapping or banging a pair of sticks together.

Wasn't it a sports company that had the motto "Just do it"? I guess that applies to music as well.
LeeMarsh
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by LeeMarsh »

Just Play.

Most people have never heard much Irish music. They don't know what the tune is supposed to sound like. They don't know if you hit a wrong note. When playing in the park, I only worry about getting clean notes, avoiding squeals and squawks. That done, the tune can be an approximation and folks seem pleased to hear it. It is at least a break from the traffic noise.

I've been playing in parks, in Washington DC for about a year, weather permitting. I usually just find a spot off to one of the corners so folks that don't like it can enjoy the other side of the park. I am amazed at the number of times the benchs fill around me. Last week it got up to 55 here, so I took a musical lunch break and 3 business men, not finding a bench, actually stood about 20 feet off to my right and listened for about 15 minutes.

I'm far from good at flute or whistle, but find joy and respite in the several slow airs that I can play by heart. This seems to be comunicated as much as the actual sound of the tune. I play for my enjoyment of the park, so there is never a cup or hat, I think that is also appreciated. I'm not against busking, that's just not why I play.

Parks were meant for folks to enjoy and relax in, a place to find a moment of peace from the hustle and bustle of work, a place to feel something other than concrete. Flute or whistle seems to fit this purpose. I'm not sure I'd get the same response with a trumpet or highland great pipes which folks admire in marches, but don't seem to find relaxing.

So, enjoy your parks, and share that with the folks around you, take those moments as an opportunity for your to ...
Enjoy Your Music,
Lee Marsh
From Odenton, MD.
billw

Post by billw »

I truck whistles around with me everywhere. One of the coolest places I play, WRT audience appreciation, seems to be the parking lot of the HyVee supermarket in Liberty, MO. Stand at the top of the lot and play toward the building, you get a great amphitheater effect, and I've had people stop on their way to and from the car, and applaud.

I also sometimes play inside the Ace Hardware in Excelsior Springs MO. I just hang out at the back by the aluminum tubing and plumbing bits, so I'll have something to point at as reason to be "checking out the materials", but so far, nobody's ever asked me why I'm playing - they just listen, and sometimes compliment.

It's fun!
Bill Whedon
Serpent Music
Ye Olde Whistlesmith Saying:
A whistle without a fipple, is just a piece of leaky pipe!

Click the WWW and come have some fun with poems and music and now BOOKS! and check out the preeeety whistles and the T-shirts with attitude! :D