Need help getting wired

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Peach

Need help getting wired

Post by Peach »

ok....here's the deal:
I play with a group that does mostly Irish folk music (Clancy Brothers, Phil Coulter, Wolfe TOnes and the like). 1 electronic keyboard and 2 guitars (one sometimes switches to mandolin), and then there's me: Flute and whistle. I can't be heard. We're all hooked up to mics, but they are very loud and even with a mic - so far - I still get lost in the noise.

What can I do? THis past weekend, we tried with the mic about 3 or 4 inches in front of me; we have, in the past, tried placing the mic to either side of the blow hole. Perhaps a different mic? Clip on?? cordless?? Any and all sugestions greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
Sue
rama
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: flute itm flute, interested in the flute forum for discussions and the instrument exchange forum to buy and sell flutes

Post by rama »

get right up there under the mic!!! really close, like an inch or two away from the blowhole. position the mic head in front of and a little higher than your mouth / blowhole and have the head point at an angle downward towards mouth/blowhole. works for me. i play with 3 accordians, 2 fiddles, a banjo, and a drummer (drumset) for ceili / set dancing.
Denny

Post by Denny »

I agree with rama.

If your nose gets in the way and the mic. doesn't quite feedback you are as loud as you are going to get. (Turn everyone else down!)

Denny
whistlegal
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by whistlegal »

If you have a little money to invest, Shure wireless microphones are great, I think. It's a tiny mic on a flexible wire that you clip into your hair with a bobbypin. The bodypack clips on to the back of your jeans and you are free to roam without having to be "glued" to a microphone. They pick up phenomenally well and my flutes and whistles sound much more natural than with traditional microphones. Strangely enough, they don't pick up vocal all that well so you can curse softly if you mess up, but no Yosemite Sam fits of rage :lol: It also is not a problem if the venue you're playing has it's own sound system. You just give the receiver to the sound man and he'll find the right frequency. The only drawback, I think, is that you lose control of your own volume - can't back off the mic when you want to. I feel the need to back off a bit when I pick up a penny whistle as opposed to flute or low whistle. Sound guys are generally pretty good about keeping it under control, but it makes me nervous. Definitely not a gadget for control freaks :lol: .
glauber

Post by glauber »

This is what i use for flute:
http://snipurl.com/4lh3 (Yamaha PS/7 microphone and preamp). Flute World has a good price, but sometimes you find it for $100. I think this is actually a discontinued model; the newer models are mostly for sax and trumpet. This one gives you a flute clip and a sax clip, microphone and preamp. Cables are non-standard but not much of a problem (it uses 1/8" stereo plug for output). This setup works very well for me, and i can play loud rock'n'roll with no feedback. (Of course YMMV.) I also like having the preamp, because it gives me a little control in case the guy at the mixer is ignoring me. :twisted:

The preamp has 2 inputs. My plan is to use the second input for a standard microphone on a stand, for the whistle, but i haven't done that yet.

Fluteworld's main URL is http://www.fluteworld.com. The PS/7 is under accessories, electronics.

Oh, just one more thing: i stayed away from a clip microphone for a long time thinking that it would pick up lots of noise from fingers, and it's not true, at least not true of this one. Even with the Boehm flute, it doesn't pick up any finger/key noise. The other reason i stayed away from clips in the past was that i like being able to get closer or less close to the mike to vary my volume, but in fact this is not good anyway; if you use a stand mike, you want to stay very close to it at all times. Using a clip mike didn't affect my ability to control my dynamics. And the preamp, as i said, gives you an extra measure of control and the ability to turn yourself off if you want to.

If anyone would like to hear a recording, PM me and i'll try to make you one.

Another edit... by the way, the picture at fluteworld is all wrong. You'd typically have the microphone set so that it's in front of the blow hole, or else, you'd have it set away from the airflow, but very close to the flute wall, to the right of the blowhole.

g
Last edited by glauber on Thu Feb 19, 2004 11:25 am, edited 3 times in total.
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

Nuts. I thought this was going to be a thread about caffeine addiction, and I was all ready with my expert advice... :roll:

But on the subject of mics, you could consider wearing a hat (baseball-cap say), and clipping a lavalier (tie-clip type, wireless or wired) mic to the underside of the brim/peak of the hat/cap. If the mic's wired, you can run the cable 'round back, down the back of your neck out of the way.

Added benefit, you'd get to hear yourself playing a bit better too.

hth,

Edited to add: the hat-mic has advantages over clipping a mic to the instrument itself...it won't pick up the sound of your fingers thwacking onto the flute, or other unwanted mechanical noises. It also won't interfere with your handling or give you the sense that the instrument is 'tethered' all the time.
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
Leonard

Post by Leonard »

Playing in that kind of band too, and we also have a singer, we constantly have to discipline ourself and turn the volume down. Always remember this, the louder everybody gets, even if everyone has a clean sound, the dirtier the total sound gets.

And usually, the flute is one of the easiest instrument to mic (with a voice mic as a SM 58), since it's really close to the human voice. So playing close to the mic, as said above, if you don't hear yourself, the mic is not the problem!

GOod luck!
U2

Post by U2 »

I've used a mic on stand and a headset mic. Each have advantages. Stands allow you to fade in/out utilizing proximity, but lock you into one positon for the night. The headset I've used less, but most music shops will hook you into one to try out in-store.
clark
Tell us something.: I've played Irish flute most of my life. My band Celtic Waves has been performing in Honolulu for the last 17 years.

Post by clark »

I like the convenience of a headworn mic. This is the one I use (WH30) http://www.shure.com/otws/gear/gear_wh30.asp which has a flexible mic boom which I bend up to just at the right corner of my mouth. I can move it farther away when I don't want as booming a sound. Actually, I found that plugging my mic into a small mixing board (Beringher makes a very small, very inexpensive one) that sits on a small shelf clipped on a nearby mic stand. This way I can just reach down and adjust the volume or the high/middle/low tones between tunes.

Clark
clark
Tell us something.: I've played Irish flute most of my life. My band Celtic Waves has been performing in Honolulu for the last 17 years.

Post by clark »

I like the convenience of a headworn mic. This is the one I use (WH30) http://www.shure.com/otws/gear/gear_wh30.asp which has a flexible mic boom which I bend up to just at the right corner of my mouth. I can move it farther away when I don't want as booming a sound. Actually, I found that plugging my mic into a small mixing board (Beringher makes a very small, very inexpensive one) that sits on a small shelf clipped on a nearby mic stand. This way I can just reach down and adjust the volume or the high/middle/low tones between tunes.

Clark
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

After all Glauber's help (thank you again, G!), I was set to order my Yamaha Personal Studio thingy .... and then the wonderful, awesome, fabulous, and much-adored guys in my band decided to ring in my recent XXth birthday by giving me a little mic setup of my own. They did quite a bit of research, and wound up with something called "The Pick Up The World Mini-Mike", and I have to say it's pretty cool! It's a little bitty mic on a Velcro strap you wrap around the flute head. (Per Glauber's original advice, I've been putting it to the right of the blowhole.) The mic then runs via skinny wire to a tiny clip-on pack with its own volume control; from there you simply plug into the main system via a regular guitar cord.

It also seems to pick up really well, hasn't fed back yet, and runs on a 9V battery.

So, it's been great thus far, & might be worth doing a Google search on. The only drawback is, of course, since it's strapped onto the flute it takes 10 - 15 seconds to wind things 'round your whistle. So I'm pondering alternatives ..... (preferably something short of buying another one!)
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

Cathy Wilde wrote:...in my recent XXth birthday by ...
you're twenty?

:lol:
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

NicoMoreno wrote:
Cathy Wilde wrote:...in my recent XXth birthday by ...
you're twenty?

:lol:
Perhaps her birthdays are X-rated? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

:love:

Oh, wow, do I love you guys. Okay, actually it would be my XXXXth birthday. (Which is beyond classification in the MPAA ratings when you consider what they say about middle-aged women .... :o )

P.S. You know, we do have fun calling that little mic the umm, well ... is it OK to say strap-on here?
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

Cathy Wilde wrote: P.S. You know, we do have fun calling that little mic the umm, well ... is it OK to say strap-on here?
It's a "strapamictome" !! :lol:
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner