Thoughts on the Shaw Low D..

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
mjmtex

Thoughts on the Shaw Low D..

Post by mjmtex »

Last edited by mjmtex on Tue Jun 15, 2004 5:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
keiths
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by keiths »

Hi,

One thing you should be aware of, is that Shaw whistles tend to polarize opinion here into 'love them' and 'hate them' camps. The general consensus is that they all need lots of air (but opinions range from 'a bit more than normal' to 'a ridiculous amount').

I have three Shaws and like them all. I haven't got a low D (lowest I have is a low G) so I cannot answer your specific question, but feel that you need to know in advance that you will probably get a wide range of opinions.

--
Keith
chas
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I don't own a Shaw low-D, but I was a hair's breadth from buying one. It really plays pretty nicely, and I LOVE the sound. The Shaw sound just seems to suit the low-D so well -- that kind of breathy, far-off sound. And you can get great volume from it, all the way down to the keynote. And at around 120 bucks, it's a pretty good deal.

I can tolerate the great wind requirement. The reasons I didn't get it were first, it requires the OXX XXO C-natural, and second, probably much less important to most players, but very important to me in a low-D, you can't get vibratto by covering lower holes.

I like this whistle enough that I will probably get one eventually, but not until my primary wish list is finished.

Charlie
StevePower

Post by StevePower »

Charlie, just curious, what would be above the Shaw on your Low D 'wish list'?

Steve
ScottStewart

Post by ScottStewart »

I have a Shaw low D, and I am in the "love it" camp. I'm able to play slow airs on it, the sound is ethereal, and it sounds great with a little reverb through a sound system. You can get a new one at Elderly.com for $75. The reach is easy on it, the finger holes are small. I get a vibrato on lower notes by lightly hovering my finger over the hole, which works for all notes but the low D note. It takes a little more air than other low whistles from what I've read. I used to play a Burke low C composite, and it takes no more air than that did. I also play an Olwell cane D flute and it takes the same air as that. I also have the Shaw low G, low A, and sop. C. The only Shaw I don't really like is the high E. If there were another low D whistle I like to have, it would either be a Copeland, which I'll never be able to afford, or a Reyburn, again a cost issue for me. Maybe one day I'll get an Overton, but not right now. I'm happy with the Shaw. Here's a link to Elderly's whistle page http://www.elderly.com/new_instruments/170N.htm
At $75, if you don't like it you can always sell it on eBay for that much. Hope this helps.
Image Scott

"Peace is not defined by the absence of war."
chas
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

On 2002-02-09 11:32, StevePower wrote:
Charlie, just curious, what would be above the Shaw on your Low D 'wish list'?

Steve
Sorry -- I mixed up an antecedent there. I didn't mean a low-D wish list, just a wish list. I've ordered a D and A from John Sindt, and will also be getting a Water Weasel low-F probably later this year. Then I'll think about the Shaw, which will be the next low-D I buy.

I own a Burke Al low-D, which is among my most-played whistles --another reason for putting off the Shaw.

Re: Scott's remarks about the breath -- I'd agree. It takes a lot of wind, but the Burke low-C does, too.

Charlie

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: chas on 2002-02-09 14:16 ]</font>
Bevoi

Post by Bevoi »

Heya,

The sound is by far my favorite of any low D that I've played, which include Copeland, Kerry (Pro, special, gold, regular), Overton, Cook, Howard, O'Brian, Swain, my own design.....

However, the ridiculous air requirement pretty much kills the desire to own one, for anything more than 20 bucks.