What's your board name mean? (revisited)

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
rebl_rn
antispam: No

Post by rebl_rn »

Chuck_Clark wrote: I wonder which seems more unlikely - a Confederate reenactor in Wisconsin or a Union reenactor in South Carolina.
Well, I am from SOUTHERN Wisconsin! :D

There are more rebs up here than you'd think - After the war, a bunch of displaced Confederates from Kentucky came up here and settled way up north in Crandon, WI. Apparently Crandon reminded them of home, obviously they must've come up in the summertime.

My great-great uncle (I think, I forget how many greats) lived in Nashville back in the day and fought with the Tenth Tennessee [Irish], CSA Until he got captured at Ft. Donelson fairly early on in the war, got paroled, and went back to Nashville to run his "tippling house".

My dad is convinced that his family that was in Chicago at the time was involved in the pro-Confederate movement there, though he hasn't found any evidence of this yet.

Beth
Wash your hands. Cough and sneeze in your sleeve. Stay home if you are sick. Stay informed. http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu for more info.
Switchfoot
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Switchfoot »

Before anyone asks, No, I dont surf.
Very simply, its a band that I like, and I was very very sleepy at the time, and their CD was playing, and I was instant messenging with a friend about going to their concert.....
Random colision of circumstance, now I am switchfoot ( the fun thing is, I can buy really cool t shirts with "my" name plastered all over them and wear them to whistle gathering :D )
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

rebl_rn wrote:
Chuck_Clark wrote: I wonder which seems more unlikely - a Confederate reenactor in Wisconsin or a Union reenactor in South Carolina.
Well, I am from SOUTHERN Wisconsin! :D

There are more rebs up here than you'd think - After the war, a bunch of displaced Confederates from Kentucky came up here and settled way up north in Crandon, WI. Apparently Crandon reminded them of home, obviously they must've come up in the summertime.

My great-great uncle (I think, I forget how many greats) lived in Nashville back in the day and fought with the Tenth Tennessee [Irish], CSA Until he got captured at Ft. Donelson fairly early on in the war, got paroled, and went back to Nashville to run his "tippling house".

My dad is convinced that his family that was in Chicago at the time was involved in the pro-Confederate movement there, though he hasn't found any evidence of this yet.

Beth
My brother did a stint as a Confederate reenactor - though I'm pretty sure that it was because the only local cavalry outfit was Confederate and he mostly wanted to ride his horse and shoot stuff. Certainly we have no connection to the war. My wife had ancestors on BOTH sides, but my direct ancestors were too old to be forced into it and had more sense than to volunteer at their age.
Paul

Post by Paul »

I loked the sound of it.
Last edited by Paul on Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
boomerang

Post by boomerang »

Wombat wrote:I'm called Wombat because of my gravitas.
gee mate and i thought it was cos of your romantic side,
as us Aussies know, most wombats
Eats, roots and leaves
:lol: :lol: :lol: :D :roll:
Never argue with an idiot, they will bring you down to their level then beat you with experience!!
boomerang

Post by boomerang »

I call myself boomerang,
cos i am a little bent, fun to play with, and
might just slap you up the back of the head if you aint watching,
i keep on comming back, and im not fussed if anyone tryes to throw me away :)
works for me :D
regards
David
Never argue with an idiot, they will bring you down to their level then beat you with experience!!
madfifer9

Post by madfifer9 »

Well, madfifer for obvious reasons. Mad as in "mad for", not "insane", though I suppose it could be interpreted that way and still be correct. Fifer for fifer, I've been playing the thing going on three years. The "9" is a hangover from a previous screen name which I still use elsewhere, "galatia9" who is a character in a comic called "Starstruck"by Elaine Lee and MW Kaluta.

I know, TMI.

Linda S.
madfifer9
When whistles are outlawed, only outlaws will have whistles!
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

boomerang wrote:
Eats, roots and leaves
I proposed that as a possible explanation last time this topic came up but nobody seemed to get the joke except ...er ... well, you know who you are. :P
Henke
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Henke »

Go figure :D
Henke is a nick I've had all my life.
My real name is Henrik.
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

My life is an open book; nothing to hide.

In answer to the questions no one asked: I'm descended from ancient kings. (What a letdown to find out that everyone with an Irish name can make that claim. They were swarming with kings in the old days.) My name links back to a grandson of Niall of the Nine Hostages, a 5th century high king. Not too shabby. My gripe is that when I wear my crown and purple robe and strike people with my sceptre, I don't get the appropriate awe and fear I should be accorded. I'll have to work on my imperious demeanor.

Live-the-question: here's my favorite unanswered question/story: I was stationed in Germany in the Air Force and my roommate and I were sunning ourselves on the lawn outside the barracks, which was right in town- Wiesbaden. An old German couple, out for a walk, looked in our direction with dour expressions while we watched them walk by. I smiled and said "Guten tag," in my best German accent. Their faces suddenly lit up and they responded in kind. Then the man looked at the woman and said something and they both chuckled. My roommate and I looked at each other and wondered what that was about. I'll never know.
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

TonyHiggins wrote: My gripe is that when I wear my crown and purple robe and strike people with my sceptre, I don't get the appropriate awe and fear I should be accorded.
Please tell me you're not wearing those to my wedding. :D

I collect blackthorn sticks, a new one every time I go to Ireland. I meant to type Blackthorn but my fingers stumbled and it came out Blackhawk.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
boomerang

Post by boomerang »

Wombat wrote:
boomerang wrote:
Eats, roots and leaves
I proposed that as a possible explanation last time this topic came up but nobody seemed to get the joke except ...er ... well, you know who you are. :P
must be an aussie thingy wombat...im still grinning
the rest of the world has to catch up with our sence of humour,
like the uses for a beer bottle full of blowflies
and how new zealand farmers find their sheep in long grass,
but given time they will catch on
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

Used my email user name, which refers to my hero, Chuck Darwin.
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
brianormond

Post by brianormond »

-"brian.." from Brian Boru and the family surname ,"ormond" from Ireland with forebears departing Ulster, Kilkenny and other areas for New York from 1786 to 1903.

-Patrilineal surname heritage what it is, much non-Irish lineage from Scotland, England, Holland & Germany is there but not indicated by surname.
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

Please tell me you're not wearing those to my wedding.
Sigh... :roll: Fine, then.
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”