Happy Birthday, Packie Manus Byrne!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
carrie

Happy Birthday, Packie Manus Byrne!

Post by carrie »

I've had the great pleasure these last few weeks to be reading Recollections of a Donegal Man, the memoirs of Packie Manus Byrne that were compiled and edited by StevieJ. Today is Packie's birthday, a good day to wish him well and thank him for the treasure trove of stories and memories he shares in this lovely book, stories of work, of families, of 3- and 4-day parties, of schools, of changing times...and of course, of music.

Just a few quotes, the first with a striking explanation of why the tradition needed to be respected.

He talks about playing whistles and mouth organs as a very young boy:

....My Uncle Patrick was a marvelous whistle player. That was me mother's brother. He used to come to visit us very often, and I would always hide, because I was afraid of him. If I played a bum note he'd clout me! The people were very strict about music in those days. It had to be done right, because it was an insult to the traditional tune if you didn't play it as well as the listener thought it should be played.....

....Yes, the music and the songs were really important to us. Sometimes, you know, I would wake in the night with a song or a tune going round in my head. 'Twould be mostly a tune that I had heard for the first time and it would just click--part of it would sink in. I would have no thought of it when I went to bed, but I would wake with this tune turning round in my head and I was stuck with it!

...And very often on a breezy day I could hear a tune in the rustling of a tree. In fact a lot of the old tunes were composed from that: some fiddle player would hear music in the roar of the waves or something, and he would sit down and make a tune out of it. That used to happen to me especially if I was up late the night before and didn't get much sleep. The following day I would be doing something and this music would come out of a tree near me. And I wasn't the only one, there was lots of us like that.

...In our life, music was number one. As far as I was concerned, anyway, that was the most important thing. Finding enough food was a secondary consideration. We always did though. I used to really pity people who couldn't sing or play an instrument or couldn't pick up a tune. I used to think, what have they? I didn't know there was anything else. I thought they were lost for life because they couldn't play.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks to you, Packie Manus Byrne, and happy birthday! :party:

Carol

PS Packie's musical memories are captured beautifully in the tunebook A Dossan of Heather...you can do a search here on the board for more info. --C
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

Indeed! Happy birthday Packie!

And thank you Carol for bringing it to our attention. I have spent many hours listening and trying play his tunes in the Dossan of Heather and even then I have found that I would have to probably live a life time to play them.

MarkB

PS: And thank you SteveJ for publishing Packie's story and music.
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
kevin m.
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by kevin m. »

Many happy returns to Packie,I hope he's well.
I too have 'A dossan of Heather' and find it a charming and insightful book.
I also enjoy Packie's 'From Donegal and back' album-some great,'straight ahead' whistling on it.
"I blame it on those Lead Fipples y'know."
DCrom
antispam: No

Post by DCrom »

I didn't know it was his birthday - but when I picked up my whistle this morning, the first tunes that came to mind were all jigs from _A Dossan of Heather_, so I went through "Forgetting the Lesson", "The Sheigh o' Rye", and "Stepping Stones" in rapid succession, about as well as I've ever played them.

A lovely man, and lovely music. Many happy returns of the day to him, and many happy birthdays to come.
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

A Happy Birthday and my heartfelt thanks. A Dossan of Heather is my favorite tune book and nine times out of ten when I pick up a whistle one of his tunes comes out. :party:
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
StevieJ
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

Post by StevieJ »

Hi Carol

Thanks for reminding me it was Packie's birthday yesterday! I passed your greetings on to him and he thanks you all very kindly, wishing you in turn a very happy birthday whenever it might be.

He's now 87 - with his medical history the fact that he is still with us is something of a miracle. His mind is still as sharp as a pin, too. He's already planning an appearance at Sidmouth International Festival (Devon, England) in August 2004. The organizers have asked him to put on a repeat of the Ardara festival tribute concert, with friends from far and wide coming to perform his songs and tunes.

The website needs updating - I'm a birthday behind - but you can read extracts from Recollections there and find out where to buy it if you fancy. It's almost, but not quite, out of print.

http://www.rogermillington.com

Cheers
Steve
Byll
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Post by Byll »

I love the 'Donegal Man' Book, Carol. I carry a copy of it in my Subaru to read at places where I am 'stuck' waiting for people or things...

The music you sent me is delightful.
Your arrangements are excellent. My band will be starting 'Salt Air Waltz' in the next few weeks.

Best to you.
Byll
'Everything Matters...'
Lisa Diane Cope 1963-1979
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

I might be a day late but not too late to say 'happy birthday Packie.'

Through Dossan of Heather I discovered his wonderful music about a year ago. It would be hard to think of a tune book more enjoyable.
msheldon

Post by msheldon »

Wombat wrote:I might be a day late but not too late to say 'happy birthday Packie.'

Through Dossan of Heather I discovered his wonderful music about a year ago. It would be hard to think of a tune book more enjoyable.
Agreed, Packie's tunes are the ones I play when I just want to relax and enjoy myself for a awhile. "Forgetting the Lesson" is definitely one of my all-time favorites.

Happy birthday Packie!
Michael Sheldon
Outside of a dog, a man's best friend is a good book.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Many more healthy years to him.
adriancarrington

Post by adriancarrington »

Happy Birthday to you, Packie.

Best, Adrian
StevieJ
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

Post by StevieJ »

Packie has made it through another winter - 88 today, 18/02/2005 and in very good spirits when I spoke to him this morning.

PS "Recollections of a Donegal Man" is now out of print. Amazon have about 4 copies left.
carrie

Post by carrie »

My best wishes to Packie! Thanks for reminding us, Steve.

Carol
kevin m.

Post by kevin m. »

Many ,many Happy returns to Packie! :party:
"I blame it on those Lead Fipples y'know."
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

And many happy returns of the day to him.

Amazon's one lower on "Recollections", btw - I ordered a copy from them last week.

I've only a few tunes from "Dossan" committed to memory so far, but they get daily play.

(And if you want to hear "The Sheigh O' Rye" from "Dossan" played badly, I posted it to Clips and Snips a week or so back)

Dana