pipes

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
amar
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

pipes

Post by amar »

hi gang.
i was wondering if there any pipes at all, where the fingering is as with the whistle. I know that uillean pipes are different, as well as great highlang bagpipes.
how about northumbrian or small pipes? I love the sound of those. Are they played as a whistle is...if yes...then....go figure..
Amar.
lixnaw
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by lixnaw »

daniel bingamon makes some, but there's no sound sample http://jubileeinstruments.messianic-web ... toffer.htm they are the only ones with whistle fingering. i wonder if daniel bingamon is the first person to make these? well fair play to him anyway, it might be a revelation!... it all depends on how they sound.

i found a chart for small pipes here http://www3.telus.net/ereiswig/ssp_fing.gif

and what about this fella http://www.worldmusic.de/pipes/english/index.html he lives at your doorstep :D
Last edited by lixnaw on Thu Feb 19, 2004 6:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
amar

Post by amar »

sounds interesting lixnaw, I wrote daniel an email...
Tony
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Amar,
are you looking for pipes or whistle?
glauber

Post by glauber »

The fingering in not going to be the exactly same, because pipes are reed instruments and they behave a little differently from flutes of the fipple variety. I think the fingerings for the first octave should be similar, though. That link lixnaw sent is for a pistle. :) Different kind of instrument.

g
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
lixnaw

Post by lixnaw »

glauber wrote:The fingering in not going to be the exactly same, because pipes are reed instruments and they behave a little differently from flutes of the fipple variety. I think the fingerings for the first octave should be similar, though. That link lixnaw sent is for a pistle. :) Different kind of instrument.

g
or there mightn'be a second octave...
lixnaw

Post by lixnaw »

here's a fingering chart for a pistle-bombarde (almost like a whistle) http://www.bagpipeworld.co.uk/FingerChart/Bombarde.htm
but it's a good reason to get barred from your local :o :lol:
amar

Post by amar »

Tony wrote:Amar,
are you looking for pipes or whistle?
Tony, I am loioking for a sort of pipe which is fingered as a whistle is. Perhaps it doesn't exist..
SteveK

Post by SteveK »

There used to be a guy who made various kinds of pipes with simple fingering. I think they were just one octave or nine note pipes. He died though. Another kind of pipes that I think use this fingering are some Welsh pipes. I saved the address of a page of a Welsh pipe maker. Alas, that page seems to be gone. However, you might be able to find some information on Welsh pipes by searching around.

Steve
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.

Post by Tony »

I think it's called an oboe.

amar

Post by amar »

:-)
oh boy, an oboe.:-)
Tony

Post by Tony »

Fingering similar to a whistle,
Concert pitch,
Fully chromatic,
Cheaper than Uilleann pipes,
Nearly 3 octaves,
Mouth blown, dual reed,
Available in many better music stores... worldwide.
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

Big backpressure
Really hard to play in tune.
SteveK

Post by SteveK »

I came across a web page of a pipe maker who makes some unusual pipes. He doesn't give the fingering system though. You'd have to ask him. He also makes hornpipes. They're pretty cool.

http://www.keithmusic.com/build.html#Bob

Steve
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

". . . Some Men, I must confess, endeavor to Decry the Hautboy, pretending the Learners must blow so hard, that it is apt to bloat their Faces, and prejudice their Lungs: But this is a meer Mistake, as will be found on Experience." Henry Playford, July, 1695

"The Hoboy played well, has a delicacy superior to any Wind instrument now in use; and when blown and fingered by a skilful Performer, you have the sweetness of tone, the tine Swell, the pleasing grace, and every other beauty necessary to charm the Mind and delight the Ear; This Instrument at present seems too well known, to expitiate much on its utility; let it suffice 'tis the sweetness of Martial music, the life of a Band, a fine accompaniment to the Voice, and excellent in Solos and Duets . . ." New and Complete Instructions, 1725

"All that play upon this Instrument to a reasonable perfection know, that with a good Reed it goes as easie and as soft as the Flute... Besides its Inimitable charming Sweetness of Sound (when well play'd upon) it is also Majestical and Stately, and not much Inferiour to the Trumpet; and for that reason the greatest Heroes of the Age (who sometimes despise the Strung-Instruments) are infinately pleased with This for its brave and sprightly Tone." Playford, 1695

2004:
FJohnSharp wrote:Big backpressure
Really hard to play in tune.
:D

I'm sticking with the whistle & flute methinks!
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner