If you could only have ONE recording, what would it be?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Hoovorff
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

If you could only have ONE recording, what would it be?

Post by Hoovorff »

I'm just curious to hear people's opinions. If you could only have ONE recording of an Irish Trad flute player/group, which would it be? Who would be on the recording? And, why? I'm starting to listen to more Irish trad music as I get more into the Irish flute, and I just want to hear about people's favorites, and WHY they're your favorite.

Let's not include the Wooden Flute Obsession CD's, since owning that CD is almost a given.

Thanks for your opinions!

J :D
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

A recording of Junior Crehan [fiddle] and Josie Hayes [flute] in their prime would be nice. But unfortunately I have never been able to find one.
glauber

Post by glauber »

Matt Molloy's "black" CD, since it started this whole Irish flute thing for me.
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
Jens_Hoppe

Post by Jens_Hoppe »

I think I would have to go with Molloy's "black" CD too... Perhaps. :)
BMFW

Post by BMFW »

Yup, Molloy "Black" for me too. It was "The Gold Ring" that started me off. I'm considering suing Matt for the trauma that learning the flute has caused me and for the horrendous expense incurred. :lol:

Graham
bradhurley

Post by bradhurley »

If it's limited to commercial recordings then I think for me it would be Catherine McEvoy and Felix Dolan, even though the recording quality on that album isn't great (it doesn't even come close to capturing the true sound of Catherine's flute).

Catherine's playing has, for me, just about the perfect blend of head and heart, articulation and flow, lift and spirit, earthiness and elegance. The more you listen to her, the more you hear; there's a lot of depth in her playing.

A close contender would be an album by Willie and Siobhan Kelly, but that hasn't happened yet!
Wombat
antispam: No

Post by Wombat »

I hate this sort of exercise since, by tomorrow, I'll have changed my mind, but, as you see, I can't resist it either.

The Black album is mighty tempting as are a dozen others. Right now, though, it's Conal O Grada's The Top of Coom for it's energy and for his tone which I just love. I've heard this one referred to as the most 'caffeinated' record ever made.
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

Well it would have to be a double CD by Easkey flute player Pat Mahon of course - but as there isn't one available I'd choose Conal O Grada's milestone: The Top of Coom. The most exciting inspiring flute recording ever
shoner

Post by shoner »

Contentment is Wealth--Molloy and Keane mmmmmmm flute&fiddle
Cathy Wilde
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Cathy Wilde »

<Hemming & hawing>

My opinion changes from second to second too :-) But for a long time, Dervish's "Live in Palma" was the only Irish CD I had. And now, many, many CD's later, Liam Kelly's go at "The Milliner's Daughter" on that disc still leaves me shaking my head and grinning like the fool I am.

So .... even though his name never really seems to come up in fluteplaying discussions (why is that?) -- for about 3 years, Liam and "Dervish Live in Palma" was it for me -- and might still be "it" today.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
Grixxly

Post by Grixxly »

Wombat wrote:I hate this sort of exercise since, by tomorrow, I'll have changed my mind, but, as you see, I can't resist it either.

The Black album is mighty tempting as are a dozen others. Right now, though, it's Conal O Grada's The Top of Coom for it's energy and for his tone which I just love. I've heard this one referred to as the most 'caffeinated' record ever made.
Where did you find Conal's CD? I've been trying to find it. I checked Custy's but their search engine leaves a lot to be desired...

Thanks,
Tony
eilam

Post by eilam »

try: www.celticgrooves.com
that's where I got my copy. ask for the RedBull version, I wonder if he has a Decaf' version?
kevin m.

Post by kevin m. »

Off the top of my head,I'd say..'The Branch line' by the Coen Brothers.
Great, deceptively'understated' playing,which is absolutely steeped in the Tradition.
"I blame it on those Lead Fipples y'know."
Henke
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Henke »

I'd definetely go for Matt Molloy's "Shadows on Stone". Wonderful flute cd, that's got everything.
Andreas_P

Post by Andreas_P »

Cathy Wilde wrote:<Hemming & hawing>
So .... even though his name never really seems to come up in fluteplaying discussions (why is that?) -- for about 3 years, Liam and "Dervish Live in Palma" was it for me -- and might still be "it" today.
That's funny, that was also one of my first irish CD's (if not the first) ! Now with over 150 irish trad CD's later I still find it wonderful and fresh. The very high quality recording and live-feeling makes it so much better then various other studio albums IMHO. To bad I have not yet aquired an Eb-flute to play along with it... :roll:

/Andreas