Seeking opinions - what do you look for in a whistle case?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
avanutria
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Seeking opinions - what do you look for in a whistle case?

Post by avanutria »

I've got tons of material around and I'm thinking of designing and selling some instrument cases (likely on ebay). I am seeking your opinions on what you would look for in a case: features, types of materials, capacity, general price range, etc. Emails and private messages are welcome too. Thanks!
eskin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by eskin »

I prefer a small soft roll case that I can put in a piping case. Currently, I use an O'Riordan double cloth tie bag for a D and C whistle.
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

#1. Durability.

#2. Aesthetics.

#3. Cost.

Nope. I'm not asking for much! ;)

For those of us who are travelling a lot, something that looks nice but will fall apart or get crunched behind Tom's truck seat just won't do. On the other hand, a cast iron beast that weighs 80 pounds doesn't look real nice either. And if I can get that perfect case to fit my whistles/pipes, I don't want to have to pay a mint for it. Something under $100 is most preferable, though under $50 or even $25 would be even better (obviously).

*sigh* There's just no pleasing some of us. :lol:
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

What I would look for in a whistle case is a whistle. :D Sorry, couldn't resist.

Seriously, I have a nice little wooden case for the Thin Weasel. This has several nice features. It's compact, has padded compartments for head and barrel, is sturdy, has compartments large enough for the fit to be easy but small enough for the parts not to bounce around in transit and it locks if you want it to.

You might want to design something that is suitable for different makes of whistle and so has some flexibility as regards length of compartments. This will make it harder to achieve compactness. I have a flute case in which the padded compartments are separated by a movable padded divider. This would be useful if you wanted a D whistle case that would suit different makes.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

My wife made me a roll-up case from two-sided fleece that I just love. It has three pockets for whistles (a C whistle sticks out of the pocket just a little bit) and two smaller pockets, one of which holds a swab. A flap folds over the top, and it has a string to tie it all up with. The fleece provides enough padding that I don't mind putting three Thin Weasels in it and carrying them in a suitcase or briefcase, but I wouldn't stash them "behind Tom's truck seat." For that I'd want a wooden case, or would line a cloth one with PVC pipe.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
fiddling_tenor

Post by fiddling_tenor »

chas wrote:For that I'd want a wooden case, or would line a cloth one with PVC pipe.
I wonder how many caught this.. :lol: :lol:
"Put": the act of placing something in a specific spot.
"Putt": the vain attempt to do the same thing.
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

I want as much protection as I can get in a compact bundle. Protection from the weather as well as from bumps and knocks and the occasional tipped beer.

I'd like a pocket that could hold paper and a pen.

shoulder strap not necessary, but a handle of some sort would be convenient.

I would like it to be just a little gaudy. Eye catching bright bags are less likely to be absconded with than a tidy black case.

The biggest question at this point is how many whistles of what size would it need to hold, and I don't have a feel for that yet. Probably low D, A, C and two or three D's, plus a swab.
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
Stu H

Post by Stu H »

A whistle roll for 6-8 High Ds, well padded with a flap & a tie would, I think, sell a bundle (put me down for a couple!)

I do like the idea of gaudy colours too!!
If it looks like a duck and sounds like a duck, it's probably me - playing a whistle!
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

If I can bungie it to the back of a bike or motorcycle, then not think twice about driving to a session with a wood whistle in it, nevermind the vibrations, roadshocks rain or cold, then it's a good case.

Hence, I prefer the cordura fabric, semi-hard kinds, with ample soft padding, closing with a zip plus velcro strip, and a secure strap. Not to be confused with the look-alike but terrible classic would-be-hard cases made for flutes: their insides look plush with all the shiny velvet, but they don't filter vibrations nor shocks...

The best cases I've seen offered by the whistle makers themselves:
1) described above, for three-piece flutes, or three high whistles, as sold by Yvon Le Coant. There must be a source in the US, since he gets them from China.
2) The great soft padded multi-whistle bags made for C. Abell and his whistlesets. Now tuck them in your jacket, they're not to be strapped on a bike...
3) The semi-hard case optional with Fred Rose. Brilliant. Fits the side-pocket of my YLC big pack (from the low D), or any overcoat pocket.
Norm

Whistle case

Post by Norm »

Zubivka wrote:Hence, I prefer the cordura fabric, semi-hard kinds, with ample soft padding, closing with a zip plus velcro strip, and a secure strap. 3) The semi-hard case optional with Fred Rose. Brilliant. Fits the side-pocket of my YLC big pack (from the low D), or any overcoat pocket.
I too would prefer the Cordura material and soft inner lining, a top flap, Velcro strap fastener and some color which can be seen by big feet or tall pictures of beer . Price needs to be under $35.00. I wouldn't invest on one for "a" penny whistle but, for several penney whistle's I would. Some ideas on "roll-ups can be compared by looking at cases for artists watercolor brush roll or folding cases. Some of these brushes cost over $200.00 so the case must "breath" and offer protection. ($35.00 average cost for cases). Check out CheepJoe's.com
Cheers
Norm
They sit and chat and laugh n' giggle, then someone starts a lick on a whistle and it's "Katie bar the door!"
Bretton
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistle for a very long time, but never seem to get any better than I was about 10 years ago. I'm okay with that. :)

Post by Bretton »

I'd prefer a semi-hard case. Maybe Cordura (as someone else mentioned) with padding. Something that would hold a couple of suprano whistles would be good, but I've got an Overton alto F on the way so I might want a bigger one just to hold that.

-Brett
Caru

Post by Caru »

I'd like a pocket big enough to hold sheet music or a couple music books without having to fold or bend them. The bag should be big enough for an alto F and should be able to hold 7 or 8 whistles of different keys. The latch should be secure but easy to open quickly -- maybe one of those plastic buckles you squeeze to open. The bag should be padded and waterproof, and it would be great if it was machine washable. A small inner pocket for a wallet and keys would be useful, too.
Bretton
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistle for a very long time, but never seem to get any better than I was about 10 years ago. I'm okay with that. :)

Post by Bretton »

Anyone know the length of a Goldie Overton Alto F whistle?
computer-mom

what do you look for in a whistle case

Post by computer-mom »

I have a Zildjian (spelling?) drumstick case which I bought last year based on a recommendation I read on this board. It meests almost all of my needs and wants in a whistle case:
1. Enough room to hold my entire whistle collection
2. A shoulder strap, and also (I think) a handle.
3. Padding.
4. An outside pocket for my wallet and keys or my tuner and harmonica.

It would be perfect with the following additions or changes:
1. 8 inches longer, so it would hold my low D whistle.
2. Lots of narrower pockets, instead of 2 wide ones, so that my whistles wouldn't bump against each other.
3. A bigger pocket that I could fit a thin songbook into.

Also, I am ambivalent about the materials used in the outer covering and straps. Most of the time, I like the nylon it is made of, because it is water repellent, but when the Renaissance faire comes around, I wish it were covered in an old-fashioned fabric.
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

I have thought about this for the following reason: I got the other weekender to make me a roll up case out of very nice material when I had a buncha Gens and feadogs. Then I started ordering Burkes. Mike sends these nice cases with em that protect the whistles from scratches and such. Because the whistle roll I had showed at least some of the whistle, I ended up not using it at all. Instead, I carry all the Burkes in their pouches with a label on each for key. Its kind of a mess in my music bag but I feel they are really good at protecting the whistles and I am loath to give em up.

Sooo...if I was to have another roll up, it would have some method of covering the head while rolled up, with no chance of having them slip out the top. It would have to be as protective as the Burke pouch to get me back into it. Though fabric is nice to look at, I think something rugged, like backpacky nylon or something, and stiffened up with lining would feel substantial. Though the shiny vinyl of the Burke is not as attractive as either fabric or nylon, Guiness will basically roll off of it, so that's another consideration. Mebbe Goretex would function the same way but look nicer.

But here is one other feature that I am not sure could be accomodated. I would like something that I could hook to a mic stand during gigs so i wouldnt have to reach around when i change whistles. Because our band does a lot of instrument swapping DURING tunesets, I run the risk of dropping whistles when I set em down under duress. I would prefer to slip it into a pocket as opposed to over some kinda dowel rod as well, especially with the thin aluminum ones, for obvious reasons.

Don't know if both could be accomplished in one piece tho. But hauling gear is a pain and the more multi-functional the better I say. For example, I could imagine a roll up case with a cleaning-rod along with the whistles that would be pulled out and put crosswise into the unit to make it rigid. Then you could hang the thing somewhere close by, even on the back of a chair as it might look too stupid on a mic stand.

I guess this points to different users. For me, something that I can use on gigs is important. For others, who only go to sessions or to visit others, it could be less formidable. In performing, toughness, ease of set-up and portability are way more important than looks, which tend to be understated black nylon. My PA speakers, mixer, gig bag, guitar cases are all simple black. They get dusty but dont show stains and last for years.

Good luck!
How do you prepare for the end of the world?