What do you have the hardest problem with?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.

What do you find the hardest to play?

Slow airs
15%
Jigs
6%
Slip jigs (Bonus: What the heck is a Slip jig anyhow?)
9%
Double jigs
No votes
Hornpipes
2%
Reels
45%
Strathspeys
6%
Cockamundos (just kidding)
17%
EZ Listening ( you know we all play those songs)
No votes

Total votes: 47

whistlegal
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by whistlegal »

Slow airs give me a hard time. I tend to over-romanticize and get slower and sloower and sloooooower.
Redwolf
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

whistlegal wrote:Slow airs give me a hard time. I tend to over-romanticize and get slower and sloower and sloooooower.
That's not necessarily a bad thing. When you listen to some of these airs sung, particularly the sean nos airs, they are often sung much more slowly, and more emotively, than one might tend to play them from the written music.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
chas

Post by chas »

I would say, it depends. Reels are easy to get a grip on, but if you mean playing one at 200+ bpm, they're the most difficult. Airs, OTOH, are easy to play up to speed, but, especially on the whistle, difficult to play with the proper emotional content. On the flute it's much easier to convey the proper mood because the flute is so much more expressive, but it's difficult to manage breath in a tune that's played slowly.

I find jigs and hornpipes easier to play well than the other two.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Reels are the hardest for me because I hear so many of them as dance fodder with utterly unmemorable melodies. Now, I've got nothing against dance fodder and I'd feel deprived if I didn't have a couple of sets of reels on an Irish CD. But, like a lot of business-as-usual music in other forms, I like to let them wash over me, enjoying the groove without paying much attention to the melody. That's not much use in learning to play them.
TelegramSam

Post by TelegramSam »

all of the above
<i>The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.</i>
desert_whistler

Post by desert_whistler »

Actually, getting Jigs to have that proper "lazy jig feeling" that Brother Steve describes on his site http://www.rogermillington.com/siamsa/b ... ricky.html is my biggest hurdle right now. I can make a jig sound OK slowly, but when I bring it up to normal speed, my rhythm goes to hell in a handbasket. To me, that's a lot harder than playing reels (although playing Drowsy Maggie with the proper speed and feel is pretty darn tough)
"Let your life proceed by its own design"

-The Grateful Dead
Numex

Post by Numex »

desert_whistler wrote:Actually, getting Jigs to have that proper "lazy jig feeling" that Brother Steve describes on his site http://www.rogermillington.com/siamsa/b ... ricky.html is my biggest hurdle right now. I can make a jig sound OK slowly, but when I bring it up to normal speed, my rhythm goes to hell in a handbasket. To me, that's a lot harder than playing reels (although playing Drowsy Maggie with the proper speed and feel is pretty darn tough)

A good book and CD set with lots of jigs is a "Dossan of Heather" The tunes are hopelessly rhythmic :) , tuneful and really convey a sense of the jig feel rather painlessly, I think. http://www.rogermillington.com
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

I agree. I absolutely LOVE that book and CD. (could a factor in that be the fact that I love jigs? :-? )
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
Caj

Post by Caj »

Naw, I personally think a big problem with laments is that people play them too slowly. Even O'Carolan tunes people play like laments.

Maybe I'll call this Caj's law: if you're playing a lament, you're playing it too slow; otherwise, you're playing it too fast.

Caj
illuminatus99

Post by illuminatus99 »

once I learn a tune at full speed I have a hard time slowing it down to a more moderate pace, escpecially reels.
Montana

Post by Montana »

Jigs are fun to play and, dance fodder aside, I find it's easier to play a jig with consistent feel if I imagine people dancing to it (kinda like a fast waltz). However, I will say that if a band will rush anything, it's a jig. We always start at a nice tempo but that Da-da-da Da-da-da rhythm tends to drive faster, particularly when there's a dotted quarter note. The longer note doesn't get held long enough and awaaayyy weeee gooooo... :lol:
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Spoons. :D
Bloomfield
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

what's the difference between "jigs" and "double jigs" here?

Anyway, I used to think reels were harder than jigs. Now I think that once you get into the reel groove, they are actually much easier than jigs. Jigs are quite difficult to get right, in terms of jig-feel and phrasing.

I think slow airs are by far the hardest, btw.
/Bloomfield
peteinmn

Post by peteinmn »

What do you find the hardest to play?

The whistle! First I have to make sure I have the right end of the thing in my mouth. Then there's all that stuff about using some fingers to cover the holes. Then there's the blowing part, and that's where my problems really begin! :D
Shut up and drink your gin! - Fagin
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

Bloomfield wrote:what's the difference between "jigs" and "double jigs" here?

Anyway, I used to think reels were harder than jigs. Now I think that once you get into the reel groove, they are actually much easier than jigs. Jigs are quite difficult to get right, in terms of jig-feel and phrasing.

I think slow airs are by far the hardest, btw.
I think the note pattern of a single jig makes it inherently easier to play well (unfortunately, relatively few Irish jigs are single jigs!). With double jigs it's too easy to fall into the habit of bashing the rhythm (which I never can spell...did I get it close to right this time?) to death.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!