CD REVIEW: Talbert St. Claire's Tears of the Forest

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Loren
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Barb, right....... Just happened to sign up as all this was going on, eh? Sure.

Obviously, I don't need to defend myself, however I don't know what you are disputing in my post here about this: I said the flute was cracked, you say I said the flute had two hairline cracks, which is what I told Talbert, so we agree. As I recall the cracks were on the embouchure end of the flute, somewhere, roughly, in the 9 or 3 o'clock postion from the embouchure hole. The cracks were right next to each other, one being about an inch or so in length, and the other approximately 3 inches in length. (again, exactly what I told you....Talbert....whoever) I certainly didn't lie, either Talbert wasn't looking closely, or he wasn't looking in the right place (all giving him the benefit of the doubt). Another possibility is that, the flute being bamboo, the cracks opened somewhat wider in the lower humidity of Colorado, and then when I shipped the flute back to Talbert in...what is it, Washington State? The cracks closed a bit making them more difficult to see ( ask any significant bamboo flute maker and they will tell you that bamboo cracks can widen and narrow quite rapidly with changes in humidity) again, giving Talbert the benefit of the doubt. My issue with Talbert has nothing do with the flute in question, but rather his way of dealing with the whole thing.

The fact of the matter is, I had absolutely nothing to gain by bringing the cracks to Talberts attention - as I already mentioned, I didn't ask to send the flute back to him, nor did I ask for a refund or discount, I simply mentioned what happened and told him I'd go about fixing it, because I was happy to have the flute.

Now Barb....or Talbert (why is your last name different for receiving mail at the post office?)....or Davy....or whoever you are, call me a liar if you want (which you wouldn't get away with face to face) but the fact is, while people on the message board don't always agree with my point of view on one thing or another, "Liar" is not something you're likely to hear me called here, or anywhere else. In addition, I've bought and sold roughly 200 instruments via this message board over the years, and you are the only person I can ever recall having a problem or unresolved issues with. Regardless, I'm sure people on the message board will decide for themselves what's really going on here.

Now, Good Day To You!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Loren
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Wombat wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:BE the accordion. BE the accordion.

Oops. Wrong thread.
Oh no, you're being very helpful. At last I think I'm learning something.
Glad to be of assistance.
Now I have another question. I've done a search of the archives but I still don't know what's wrong with boiled carrots. Will my half-holing improve if I steam them? Should I do a search under fried carrots?
Oil them regularly; butter should suffice. Boiling or steaming: a horse apiece. They're well humidified either way. And get keys, please. It's easier on you and your audience.

Do you fry your carrots? :boggle:
I just rang Donald Lunnie, who I normally see at cock fights and mudwrestling festivals, and he told me that if I dropped his name again I'd probably bruise my foot.
:lol: Good advice, and a relief. For a moment there, I thought you meant Dónal Lunny. I'd hate to think of you as a namedropper. :wink:
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

TonyHiggins wrote:
In fact, once he sent me a CD, no charge, just gave it to me. I don't forget things like that.
Hey, wait a minnit. I sent Loren a free cd. Is that the same one??? Loren- never contact me again. Paddy Maloney warned me about you.
Tony
Always with the name dropping, Tony! I've had it! I'll never play with Paddy Maloney again. :D

Don't contact me again, Davey Spillane.

(is it true he used to play with the Monkees?)
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
peeplj
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by peeplj »

Actually, you know, we only have one person saying that Davy Spillane knows anything about this whole mess.

I would hesitate to bring his name in too closely...he may actually know nothing at all about this affair.

--James
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

Still.....

Someone DID post claiming to be Spillane several years ago. :-?

And is it just me - or does Barb's and Talbert's writing/posting style seem a bit too close to comfortably brush off as coincidence?? Bah, I'm sure I'm just reading waaaaaay too much into all this, right guys? Right?! :roll:
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

Ahhh c'mon, we all know that Talbert/Barb is in fact Bill/Serpent!
trisha

Post by trisha »

Azalin wrote:Ahhh c'mon, we all know that Talbert/Barb is in fact Bill/Serpent!
Take the award for today's biggest stirrer, Azalin :roll:
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

ooops! Sorry for the confuzzlement, people! I'm TyggyTwo too! Remember in another thread we mentioned that a lot of us had changed our email and invalidated our profiles? I logged in a TyggyTwo to see if I could delete myself, and when I couldn't I got back into the thread and posted the reply to Raymond without regaining my Tyghress stripes.

Mea culpa! As far as I know, I'm the only Tyg around!
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Tick, tick, tick.....

billw

Yeah, right.

Post by billw »

trisha wrote:
Azalin wrote:Ahhh c'mon, we all know that Talbert/Barb is in fact Bill/Serpent!
Take the award for today's biggest stirrer, Azalin :roll:
I'm bald. I'm way older than Talbert. I don't play the low whistle anywhere near as well as he does. I don't even know who Davey Spillane is. And Talbert doesn't even like my durn whistles, and I already told you that!

Last time I asked Dale to lock a thread, he kicked my alter ego / evil twin out. I don't want that to happen again. Now, just because I like Talbert's CD doesn't mean anything but, well, I like his CD. Leave me out of the rest of this, please. Serpent is dead. Good riddance.
Bill Whedon, owner
Serpent Music
Ye Olde Whistlesmith Saying:
A whistle without a fipple, is just a piece of leaky pipe!

Click the WWW and come have some fun with poems and music and now BOOKS! and check out the preeeety whistles and the T-shirts with attitude! :D
antstastegood

Post by antstastegood »

Unreasonable person,
ants
|___|)____________O___O___O___o__O___O_____|
spittin_in_the_wind

Post by spittin_in_the_wind »

Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

claudine
Tell us something.: Hi, I am a choir singer from Luxembourg trying to get back to Irish flute playing after a few years of absence from ITM.

Post by claudine »

It's all a conspiracy made up by Porridge.
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

I'm Spartacus!
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner