CD REVIEW: Talbert St. Claire's Tears of the Forest

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
glauber
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by glauber »

I still don't know: who'll protect us from "wisely"? :-?
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Ya better worry 'bout whose gonna protect ya from my flute comparisons...I feel a big batch comin' on one of these days! :o :D

By the way, Glauber, I haven't forgotten...last weekend was a bust on getting anything done but hopefully this weekend I'll make progress and get some stuff comin your way.

--James
trisha

Post by trisha »

And the 101 uses for creamed corn??
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

trisha wrote:And the 101 uses for creamed corn??
I dunno, just like for boiled carrots or Butlerless Spinach--thank you Jeeves but no thanks.
I'm still on my Chinese cookbook: "101 ways to wok your dog".

While we're getting ahead on a collective project: "1024 ways to drown a thread in OT posts..."
Paul

Post by Paul »

Does anybody know the air-speed velocity of butterless spinach or boiled carrots? :D
glauber

Post by glauber »

The European or the African kind?
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
boomerang

Post by boomerang »

And it just gets worse
:lol: :roll:
Never argue with an idiot, they will bring you down to their level then beat you with experience!!
Rando7

Post by Rando7 »

glauber wrote:The European or the African kind?
I....I don't know! AAAAAAAaaaaaahhhh.....
blackhawk
antispam: No

Post by blackhawk »

Zubivka wrote: While we're getting ahead on a collective project: "1024 ways to drown a thread in OT posts..."
:lol: :lol: :lol: Good one, Zub!
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
emmline

Post by emmline »

Paul wrote:Does anybody know the air-speed velocity of butterless spinach or boiled carrots? :D
relative to what? And is it launched or dropped...ie, do we need to consider terminal velocity?
Jerry Freeman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Jerry Freeman »

emmline wrote:And is it launched or dropped...ie, do we need to consider terminal velocity?
Reminds me of one of my favorite cartoonists, George Booth. He has various settings he uses repeatedly in his cartoons. One of them is a greasy spoon diner. If you look carefully, you can see the name of the diner is backwards on the glass window (it would be forwards if you were seeing it from outside the diner).

"Terminal Lunch"

Best wishes,
Jerry
barbprimrose

regarding talbert st.claire!

Post by barbprimrose »

Hello! :D

I'm new to this board. I just usually read people's posts from time to time. However, I heard from a friend of talbert's, who lives in the chicago area, that he was receiving lots of grief here. Therefore, I just had to join in now and try to say something about Tal because he has been a friend and a musical inspiration.
I always look forward to meeting up with him, especially during the "Celtic Fest here in Chicago" during the fall! His wife, Vicky is also a sweet person. One thing certain about Talbert is that he loves to teach low whistle! Unfortunately, at times he can be hard-core when it comes to that. He's a bit serious than most whistle players I know.
I find that this was a good thing because he made me take to the low whistles more seriously instead of just a casual view.
Three yrs. ago at the Fest, he saw that I was really having a hard time playing my whistle! So, he approached me with some small advice & it worked. All he simply said was, "try it slowly. You are playing way too fast!" Over the course of two years, I received lessons for free actually. Not bad!
He doesn't talk much about Spillane and frankly it's not my business anyway. Just for all to know, Tal is really a cool guy once you get to know him. As a friend I had to stand by him! The truth is BTW, I will never sound as Awesome as he is. But that's alright.
Moreover, "Tears Of The Forest" is definitely an emotional cd!! I've learned a few slow-airs off his album, but can't seem to get them all quite the same. :P So that is all. :D -bprimrose
P.S. Talbert dropped me an e-mail of a review of his cd that came out a few days before Dale Wisely's. I thought you might also find this review informative. http://www.windandwire.com/february/tea ... forest.htm
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

Hi Barb, and welcome to the madness. Regarding this whole blowup, I think Talbert simply misinterpreted the whole thing. When Jonharl first began a thread to tell us about Talbert and his CD, a bunch of us bought it and posted here that we (myself included) liked it. He got a lot of support here. Then Dale took some time to listen to it and gave the report that you no doubt have read here. While he didn't exactly glow, neither did he diss Talbert or his CD. In fact, he seemed to like it, as I recall. One thing anyone new to the boards has to take into consideration, is that there are some diehard traditionalists here, and those folks think that if it wasn't written 150 years ago, and performed that way, it's garbage. So Dale simply made it clear to all that this music was not played in the traditiional way. It's more of a new age approach. That was all Dale was saying and Talbert took offense at that, much to my surprise and disappointment. Tal evidently thought he needed us to defend him, but since he wasn't being attacked, there was no need for any of us to defend him. I considered posting after Dale that I had enjoyed Tal's CD, but I would have been repeating myself (I had already said that in Jonharl's thread earlier), so I just moved on to the next post. I was very surprised that Tal took it so hard. I guess he thought Dale should have said it was the best thing since sliced bread, and took offense when Dale didn't. Oh well. Everyone is Casablanca has problems. Talbert's may work out.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

blackhawk wrote:Everyone in Casablanca has problems.
And only one cure: play it again, Sam.
barbprimrose

regarding blackhawk's remarks.

Post by barbprimrose »

Blackhawk,
I really do not believe that Tal is holding any grudges here! he's a really stand-up kind-of-a-guy. Actually, he had no idea that I even posted on this Topic! so i decided to phone him. Besides, it has been a while since we talked. :P Again, he's pretty calm about the whole thing!
however, this does not surprise me at all! He did ofcourse mention that
this forum is'nt meant for him.
By the way, he enjoyed Dale's remarks! He felt that it was extremely Candid and Fare! I read eveyone's comments and I gotta
tell ya, its not the Talbert that I know. infact, when i phoned him after my first post, he was in such good spirits that he mentioned that he was
just working on the layout for his next cd for 2005. He was fooling around with his low-C whistle. As this was the whistle that was going to
feature the title track to his: "Harvest Moon"cd! he played it over the phone. wow!! :boggle: sounded really hypnotic! BTW, i really do not care to post much myself . but from time to time, i'll drop in on all you guy's ! truth is: i'v learned some things in the past. :party: -Barb