coinleach glas an fhomhair

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Easily_Deluded_Fool
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Easily_Deluded_Fool »

Easily_Deluded_Fool wrote:
Leel wrote:Is there anywhere to get dots or abc's for this one?
No dots but tab', presumably for guitar.
http://music.kulichki.net/txt/c/clannad ... mair.shtml

Don't s'pose anyone could translate to abc :sniffle: ?
Replying to m'self! :o

Play at 80 bpm.
http://www.smartgroups.com/vault/nobody ... omhair.doc
Ignore the rest thingies in the first bar. I sorta forgot to remove them :D
Sorry it's a word doc thing. It's a screenshot from Finale.
Download. Check fer virii! None there when I left it, but yer never know!

HTH
No whistles were harmed in the transmission of this communication.
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

Darwin wrote:Others that I have marked in the "Best Slow Airs" book are:

*snippage*

"Carrickfergus"
"Port na bPucai"
These two appear on the Na Connerys CD "Part 2: Fire in our Hearts". A marvellous CD imho... Carrickfergus is played on the whistle, and Port na bPucai on the UPs... and both of them played wonderfully.
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
blackhawk
antispam: No

Post by blackhawk »

So far, in the slow air category, I've learned:

She Moved Through the Fair
A Stor Mo Chroi
By the Side of the Rock (can't spell the gaelic, but it's the last tune in
Dossan of Heather)
Eleanor Plunkett
Inisheer
Amhran na Leabhair
Anach Chuin
Crested Hens
South Wind
Dawning of the Day
Derry Air (derriere?)
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
Leel
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Hi All - I am a Celtic music performer with a band called Beyond the Heather, located in the Lawrence, KS/Kansas City area. I sing, play whistles, SSP and bodharan. I've been a C&F member since 2003 but haven't posted much recently.

Post by Leel »

Replying to m'self!

Play at 80 bpm.
http://www.smartgroups.com/vault/nobody ... omhair.doc
Ignore the rest thingies in the first bar. I sorta forgot to remove them
Sorry it's a word doc thing. It's a screenshot from Finale.
Download. Check fer virii! None there when I left it, but yer never know!

HTH
Thanks "fool". That's perfect!

LEE
elendil

Post by elendil »

A couple of nice tunes I don't think were mentioned:

Geatai Bhaile Bui = gates of the yellow town (BOTL)
Tip of the Whistle (Chieftans)
Dochas? = Hope (Chieftans 7 or 8; maybe I got the title a little wrong)
Limerick's Lamentation (can't remember the Irish, Chieftan's do it nice.)

Oh, and a real nice haunting one that Sean Potts did for his dad on a Chieftan's album, The Piper Remembered, An Phiobaire ****?

And, Mra na hEireann = women of ireland, more chieftans stuff.
elendil
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

elendil wrote:A couple of nice tunes I don't think were mentioned:

OK, I know I should know this, but I just can't place BOTL. Who's BOTL? And thanks for the recommendations. :) I'll check them out.

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

blackhawk wrote:
elendil wrote:A couple of nice tunes I don't think were mentioned:

OK, I know I should know this, but I just can't place BOTL. Who's BOTL? And thanks for the recommendations. :) I'll check them out.
Boys of the Lough? Or do they spell it Loch? I can't remember.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
elendil

Post by elendil »

Lough, but pronounced "Luff." :P

It's a shame that's it's so hard to get their stuff in this country now. I've learned a huge number of great tunes from their albums, also of course from the Chieftans, including quite a number of airs, some already mentioned, others not. Although I learned many of them or even most for my fiddle, I usually learned them on whistle first. I have two notebooks pretty much full of tunes, including many beautiful airs, learned from their albums and others. (Incidentally, one of my shoulders is feeling so much better lately that I may have a go at playing the fiddle again.)

Another good place or two for some great airs are albums by Phil Cunningham and Aly Bain. The Pearl and The Ruby, for example. The title song, The Ruby, starts out exquisitely on whistle. Sounds to me like a Gen, enhanced a bit in the studio.

The first two Capercaille CD's also have some beautiful songs. They're all easy enough to learn by ear, but so satisfying to play.

(edited to add two more easy to learn airs)

Colsfield House -- I think that's on a Kevin Crawford album. Sounds really good on a Bb whistle. He plays it on flute, of course.

Caitlin Triall (Chieftan's Live). One of the first tunes I learned for fiddle, but it's nice on whistle, too.
elendil
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

elendil wrote:Lough, but pronounced "Luff." :P
Very informative post, Elendil, and thank you, but actually the Irish pronounce this word "lock."

--Plato
elendil

Post by elendil »

Well, I can see you've never heard Garrison Keilor's (sp?) inane introduction to the BOTL concert at Carnegie Hall. :) But I couldn't remember the other half of his joke.
elendil
elendil

Post by elendil »

Well, I can see you've never heard Garrison Keilor's (sp?) inane introduction to the BOTL concert at Carnegie Hall. But I couldn't remember the other half of his joke.
Ha! I just remembered the other half of his gag. After going on and on and on about how he thought the word was pronounced "Luff" he then pronounced the word "muffler" as if it were "mockler." One of those things where ya'd hafta be there. :boggle:
elendil
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

elendil wrote:
Well, I can see you've never heard Garrison Keilor's (sp?) inane introduction to the BOTL concert at Carnegie Hall. But I couldn't remember the other half of his joke.
Ha! I just remembered the other half of his gag. After going on and on and on about how he thought the word was pronounced "Luff" he then pronounced the word "muffler" as if it were "mockler." One of those things where ya'd hafta be there. :boggle:
Ah, I get it now! Thanks, El! :)

--Plato
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

Leel wrote:Is there anywhere to get dots or abc's for this one?
Leel, sorry to be so long getting back to you on this. It's in Geraldine Cotter's Irish Tin Whistle Tutor, page 97.

--Plato
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

It's also in Walton's 110 "Ireland's Best Slow Airs" book w/CD.

It's turned out to be much easier than I'd expected. I played through it a couple of times last night just before bed, and I could pretty much play it right through this morning. How cool! That's the fastest any of the new tunes has sunk into my thick skull. And it came along just as I was getting a bit burned out on a few hundred daily repetitions of Eanach Dhuin.

Thanks for bringing it up, blackhawk.

My Whitecap-Feadog is really coming in handy for learning all these new tunes. It doesn't distract me with control problems, it's quiet enough to play in my office, and it has a nice sound, too. On the other hand, the Burke is great for getting even more intensity into known tunes out in more open areas of the house.

I'm having so much fun! Can't wait for my Whitecap A to arrive. Turns out I'll need it to play along with the recording I have of "The Dear Irish Boy".
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

Darwin wrote:It's also in Walton's 110 "Ireland's Best Slow Airs" book w/CD.

It's turned out to be much easier than I'd expected. I played through it a couple of times last night just before bed, and I could pretty much play it right through this morning. How cool! That's the fastest any of the new tunes has sunk into my thick skull. And it came along just as I was getting a bit burned out on a few hundred daily repetitions of Eanach Dhuin.

Thanks for bringing it up, blackhawk.
My pleasure, Darwin. :)
My Whitecap-Feadog is really coming in handy for learning all these new tunes. It doesn't distract me with control problems, it's quiet enough to play in my office, and it has a nice sound, too. On the other hand, the Burke is great for getting even more intensity into known tunes out in more open areas of the house.

I'm having so much fun! Can't wait for my Whitecap A to arrive. Turns out I'll need it to play along with the recording I have of "The Dear Irish Boy".
This music is so addictive, isn't it? It just gets better and better.

--Plato