CD REVIEW: Talbert St. Claire's Tears of the Forest

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

CD REVIEW: Talbert St. Claire's Tears of the Forest

Post by Dale »

Talbert St. Claire has a self-produced CD entitled “Tears of the Forest.” Talbert, who has spent some time with Davy Spillane, plays the Low whistle on this album which he describes as a “’New Age’ Experience with the Irish Low Whistle,” and “A Soulful Journey into ‘Slow-Airs.’” For the most part, Talbert interprets Irish airs on this CD, but it is appropriately placed in the New Age category. He plays unaccompanied or sparsely accompanied on these tracks (13 tracks, total time=75 minutes). He is joined on 5 tracks by Billy Miller, playing East Indian instruments, guitars, synthesizers, drums and effects. He is joined by Dave Dvorak on synthesizers and drum loops on three other tracks.

The most distinctive thing about this CD is that the tunes are largely Irish but the style and feel of the CD reminds me much more of recordings by artists playing Native American flutes. The influence of Davy Spillane is apparent in Talbert’s playing and I would compliment Talbert for his command of the instrument and his ability to explore the range of tones and sounds one can get out of a good Low whistle.

This CD will, however, rise or fall in its alignment with the New Age/Hearts of Space genres. (In the spirit of full disclosure I should say that I routinely listen to Hearts and Space and Echoes on public radio and I enjoy that style of music, for the most part.) As is sometimes true with that music, I find it hard to sit down and listen to it for long with full attention. I find it a bit boring and monotonous. I have written before that I think that, as much as I love the whistle, whistle-based albums are best when fully accompanied, with an unaccompanied piece thrown in here or there) and when as much variety of pacing and tempo are provided. Else, I find myself suffering from “whistle fatigue” by the time I get to the end.

So, I think the charm of this album resides in listening to it as an “ambient” piece. I’m a long-time fan of Brian Eno, who championed the idea of what might be called quality background music. Eno makes music which he hopes people will be able to listen to at various levels of attention. His “Music for Airports” for example, was actually meant to be played over the speakers at airports (“to prepare people for death,” as Eno once put it.)

To purchase a copy of the CD, you may contact Talbert on this message board, or phone him at (312) 705-8033. Email tearsoftheforest@yahoo.com .
Talbert St. Claire
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

cd!

Post by Talbert St. Claire »

you know, i think that its interesting that as many people have pm me in the past and just recently regarding help on the low whistle, i gave free advice to all even without thinking twice because i love to teach!!! there
have been many who enjoyed my sample's on-line and have expressed this to me! now that "wisely" has posted a review of my cd not a single person has supported me like i supported you all! i wont mention names here, but i did not hesitate to "HELP YOU" when you asked for it! i'm beginning to see why davy spillane told me to stay away from this here board because as a professional player they will separate you from them! and he was right! if i had the chance to remove my name from this here board, I would! by the way, i have tried because i want nothing to do with such an immature crowd! thanks for nothing! as a professional player i will say this to you all. " A REAL PLAYER IS ONE THAT SHOWS CONCERN FOR FELLOW MUSICIANS"! GOOD LUCK TO ALL AND KEEP PLAYING! DONT EVER GIVE UP YOUR LOVE!-TALBERT ST.CLAIRE
If you discover you have a "perfect" Low Whistle, don't sell it. Trust me, I know! If it's close to perfection, don't sell it. Trust me, I know! If you feel that it's difficult to adjust to but you still feel a deep connection to it, don't sell it. Just give it to me!!!
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

Oh good grief....let me be the first to say you are one seriously weird fellow. Lose the chip; stop including Davy Spillane's name in every post you have; stand on your own. This board has zero interest in name dropping. It is off-putting.

You CAN remove your name and your presence from the board.

I don't normally snap at people....but puh-leeze.
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Talbert, I would be sorry to see you leave the board, and I look forward to hearing your CD.

I read Dale's review as being positive, which leaves me with the conclusion that on some level there is a misunderstanding or miscommunication at work here, to have drawn such a strongly worded response.

Misunderstandings are a pretty common occurance here, and usually blow over quickly.

--James
billw

Likes and dislikes and "who cares" responses...

Post by billw »

peeplj wrote:Talbert, I would be sorry to see you leave the board, and I look forward to hearing your CD.

I read Dale's review as being positive, which leaves me with the conclusion that on some level there is a misunderstanding or miscommunication at work here, to have drawn such a strongly worded response.

Misunderstandings are a pretty common occurance here, and usually blow over quickly.

--James
Hrm. :) I can certainly second that about misunderstandings. Anyhow, I have your album and love it. It plays in the background in my workshop almost all the time. I've listened carefully to pieces you've done, to learn technique, and just because I like them. "The May Morning Dew" is probably my #1 favorite air, and your interpretation of it is one of the pieces I will stop and listen carefully to.

Frankly, I think you need to get your heart off your sleeve and keep on producing music like that. It's wonderful, but it's not everyone's cup of tea --- kind of like my whistles. I know people who love them to pieces, some of whom are professional musicians. I also know people, yourself included, who don't care for them. It is the same with music, man. You do what you like, you have your supporters, along with those who are neutral, and those who don't like your work at all. It's life and the world.

Dale stated his opinions, and to me, they were largely in the positive. He seems to enjoy your work. What more can you ask, than that someone be honest with you, as you are with them? I don't know who Davey Spillane is, and I really don't care. It's your music I'm listening to, and I like it. 'nuff said.
Cheers,
Bill Whedon
Serpent Music
Ye Olde Whistlesmith Saying:
A whistle without a fipple, is just a piece of leaky pipe!

Click the WWW and come have some fun with poems and music and now BOOKS! and check out the preeeety whistles and the T-shirts with attitude! :D
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Does anybody have any idea what this thread is really about? :o There are quite a few people on this board who've released CDs, some of them fully professional musicians, and who survived the experience. I don't think any member who releases a CD expects to make a fortune selling to other members, the community is just too diverse in its tastes for that.

We sometimes hear the lament that good players get driven away from this board. Actually, there are a surprisingly large number of good professional and semi-professional players who do drop by at least occasionally and some regularly. (I suspect that more lurk here than we realise.) It makes sense for those professionals with an active interest in musical education, instrument manufacture, musical journalism, theory or ethnomusicology to be active here. But other professional musicians should be expected to keep a low profile. Having spent quite a while as a semi-pro myself, I can assure you that any pro who racked up frequent poster credits on a board like this would be ribbed mercilessly by their musician colleagues. That has everything to do with suspicion of motives and nothing to do with our failing to be supportive or appreciative.
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

I hope "wisely" gives me a free plug someday when we release our WhiskyTones cd! I won't complain about it, I promise.

:roll:
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
glauber

Post by glauber »

I thought that was a pretty positive review. I felt like buying the CD until i read st. claire's post. :roll:
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
SteveK

Post by SteveK »

Wombat wrote:Does anybody have any idea what this thread is really about?
Not really, but here's my theory. I don't think Talbert was complaining about the "wisely" review but about the lack of follow up by people on this here board who he says he has helped. Maybe he expected those people to write laudatory comments to be posted or maybe he expected a brisk sale of the CDs.

Steve
Brian Lee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Brian Lee »

What the hell just happened here??? :o

Hmmm...seems like our Mr. Spillane has had his hand in things again though. Turns me off to the guy even more if he's telling nice young chaps like Talbert about how evil we all are. I don't know how he expects to sell CDs, whistles or pipes now. I guess he can always go knock on Enya's door again and beg for work when it comes to that.... :roll:
glauber

Post by glauber »

Here's what the guy wrote:
st claire wrote:You know, i think that its interesting that as many people have pm me in the past and just recently regarding help on the low whistle, i gave free advice to all even without thinking twice because i love to teach!!! there have been many who enjoyed my sample's on-line and have expressed this to me! now that "wisely" has posted a review of my cd not a single person has supported me like i supported you all!
It seems to me that he felt attacked by Dale's review, and then felt disappointed that the people he has been helping with advice and free samples didn't defend him. Maybe these people just didn't see any problem with Dale's review. I said above that i thought it was generally favourable. Note: for the record, i haven't received advice or free samples from Talbert.

g
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Well, I still plan on buying the CD.

How someone relates to others, particulary over the Internet, is often not a reflection of their true self, or their real personality, and certainly not a reflection on their musicianship.

Best to all,

--James
trisha

Post by trisha »

What was wrong with Dale's review exactly?

1.He didn't say he didn't like it or put it down in any way.
2.What's wrong with ambient/background music. People LIKE music they can work while listening to, stopping for a fav track here and there.
3.A suggestion to think about a more multi instrumental production in future is hardly negative.
4. A free commercial plug was included.
5. Talbert's skills were complimented.

If this review puts you off Talbert, stay clear of the media! They eat musicians for breakfast :twisted:
billw

Full disclosure

Post by billw »

I would recommend buying Talbert's CD if you are into New Age, and interpretive music. It's not for everybody, but it is a good listen, and it's fun to hear how he's putting his own spin on trad.

Just for purposes of full disclosure: I corresponded with Talbert and asked him to try one of my whistles. He sent me a CD, I sent him a whistle. I liked the CD, and am keeping it. He didn't care for the whistle, and is sending it back, which he did not need to do. I consider it very forthright of him. He may be a little overly sensitive, but he'a still a stand-up guy.

That's my 2 cents
Bill Whedon
Serpent Music
Ye Olde Whistlesmith Saying:
A whistle without a fipple, is just a piece of leaky pipe!

Click the WWW and come have some fun with poems and music and now BOOKS! and check out the preeeety whistles and the T-shirts with attitude! :D
ciberspiff

Post by ciberspiff »

peeplj wrote: How someone relates to others, particulary over the Internet, is often not a reflection of their true self, or their real personality, and certainly not a reflection on their musicianship.
Well said, indeed.