Dave Shaw Pipes on Ebay

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
cheddar299

Dave Shaw Pipes on Ebay

Post by cheddar299 »

I'm interested in learning the pipes and want to get in as inexpensively as possible without resorting to the Pakistani models.

Any thoughts on the Dave Shaw practice set currently available on ebay?

Item number: 3701955721

Thanks for any help.
Paul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Paul »

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 3701955721

Welcome aboard, Cheddar! I don't know anything about Shaw's pipes but I'm sure somebody'll chime in.
liestman
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by liestman »

Dave is a very well respected maker of Northumbrian smallpipes, quite highly regarded for his knowledge of musical instrument physics, workmanship, service, and value. I have never seen his uilleann pipes but would extrapolate that at least he would stand behind them, and they are likely quite good. Dave is heavily into instrument history, so they are probably closely copied from his examination of original old instruments, not some modern invented bore. He has a website that you can find easily and I am sure he would answer inquiries.

Disclaimer, he is a friend of mine who has helped me in my Northumbrian building, but we don't hang out together or anything, so I am being objective in what I say.
yer friend and mine,
John Liestman
Tim Hall
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Tim Hall »

I've never seen a set of Dave's Uilleanns in person, but I play a set of Shaw Northumbrian smallpipes, and recommend them. He is a professional, well regarded pipemaker in the NSP world. His website is at http://www.daveshaw.co.uk

Tim

dave shaw pipes

Post by Guest »

The regulators, mainstock and bag above are dave shaws work and very nice work it is!