recommendations for a Low F?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Switchfoot
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

recommendations for a Low F?

Post by Switchfoot »

Well, I hate to take away from the superbowl, but I am in search of a low F to complete my set, and my mind has drawn a blank on who makes what I'm after.
I'd like one with Pure Tone and Medium to Low backpressure, I'd also like one with a good level of volume, but not peticularly loud (like, session volume or a little less). I'd rather avoid burkes (dont ask why, they just dont grab me) and makers with waiting lists in the years (I'd love a grinter, but thats kinda out). Soo, that said, hopefully this whistle exsists, and hopefully those who are older and wiser will tear themselves away from their flutes to bestow this humble whistler with their devine wisdom?

David
Jack

Post by Jack »

I have a cane low F that I like. But that's because it was the only one I could afford ($10).
Tak_the_whistler

Post by Tak_the_whistler »

>Cranberry
how does it paly? I read in the newsletter that Dale found his cane low A playable (currently for $14! whoa!! lol). I'm looking to get a A soon but don't want to (actually can't) invest more than $50 on that key.

>Switchfoot
Though I've never played one, kerry pro low F comes to my mind, but since you want a pure and med-low resistance, it seems like you'd find yourself getting a Susato....or is it out of the question? :D How about a Dixon?

Wait...not a whistle, but many would agree that you can't go wrong with an Olwell bamboo F.
<><
Tak
---------------------------------------
<b>"Nothing can be yours by nature."</b>
--- Lewis
msheldon

Re: recommendations for a Low F?

Post by msheldon »

Switchfoot wrote:I'd like one with Pure Tone and Medium to Low backpressure, I'd also like one with a good level of volume, but not peticularly loud (like, session volume or a little less).

Generally speaking, a "session volume" whistle is *loud*. At least it is if the sessions are anything like those I've been to.

I've got two low-F whistles. An Alba, which does not have a high back-pressure, and is a little "breathy" in it's tone, but not overly chiffy. I've also got a Chieftain, which is pure in tone, but has a pretty good back-pressure. (Personally, I like a bit of back-pressure, so I can lean into it a bit.)

What might work for you is a Water Weasel. I've got one in G that's very pure in tone, and does not have much back-pressure. It's no shrinking violet in the volume department though, it's a great session whistle.
Michael Sheldon
Outside of a dog, a man's best friend is a good book.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
blackhawk
antispam: No

Post by blackhawk »

I just ordered a low F Reyburn and put myself on Colin Goldie's list for his low F. I'll let you know how they are.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
Jack

Post by Jack »

Tak, it plays ok. The bottom couple notes are a little weak, but I can handle that. I did a sort-of review not long ago http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php?t=14527 .

I said $10? Apparently upon reading the other post, I meant $8. :P

I've heard of people getting cane whistles and flutes from there that were less-than good, so it's a gamble. you might get a good one, or you might not.
Parkwood

Post by Parkwood »

Can't go wrong with a Goldie Low F! My favourite low whistle by far!

I have the non-tunable and it's spot on... but you can now get a tunable version as well.

B
Brian Lee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Brian Lee »

HOOVER.

Mack can make it to your specifications. One of his low F whistles (now sadly lost) is still one of the very best whistles of any key I've ever played. Wish I could find it again!
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

Low F?

Can't see how one could go wrong with a Cocobolo Grinter. If I was to own only one whistle (and not one per tone...), it would be first in my list.

Well, after the Stratoflute of course (but I understand that's double-cross fippling : it plays also G, A, B, C... and probably all intermediate tones when I'll have more practice) :D
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

My favorite is the Goldie Overton Low F, however even though you could get Colin to make you an easy blower (with relatively low back pressure), Overtons in general don't really qualify as "Pure" sounding whistles, which is actually one of the things I love about them - they tend to be rather reedy sounding.

So....I'd agree with Zoob on the Grinter Low F: Relatively pure sound, and low back pressure. Not cheap though.....

I also think Copeland low whistles sound fairly pure, and they have low back pressure as well.

Can't think of any inexpensive Low F's that I've played which would meet your requirements.

Loren
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

Brian Lee wrote:HOOVER.

Mack can make it to your specifications. One of his low F whistles (now sadly lost) is still one of the very best whistles of any key I've ever played. Wish I could find it again!
My suggestion also, in a whitecap. They are what I would call a reasonable volume and play like a dream. They are also tunable to some degree. I currently have a Bb and a G with a Low D coming next month.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
thurlowe

Post by thurlowe »

I just got a low F from Ronaldo Reyburn (also a low D), on Saturday. It's pretty fantastic. Easy player, great, complex tone. I received it about 5 weeks after placing the order. I'm adjusting to using my pinkie on the right hand surprisingly well. I'd recommmend the Reyburns. Enjoy your search!

Cara
tomcat
Tell us something.: Used to live in Gilbert, AZ which is a suburb of Phoenix. Recently moved to Portland OR. Argh. Not sure if this is meeting the requirement of number of characters, but I'm trying.

Post by tomcat »

i agree with the other hoover-ites. i have a low pvc f from mack that is just awesome. if you want a pure sound, it is hard to beat. if i can work it out, i'll send you an email with a clip. happy shopping!
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

I have a Grinter and an Overton and love both. The Grinter is one of the finest whitles I own and the Overton is very good. I agree with the remarks by Loren and Zubivka about these instruments except that I don't think of the Grinter as being very pure. IMO, if you like the sound of Grinters, you ought to like an Overton.
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

All the suggestions above sound good.

Another option: except for volume, you could be describing a Serpent Low F - mine's louder than my Dixon Low D, but hardly a session weapon.

I'll chime in with the rest and say that for louder, an Overton F would be just the ticket - I didn't find the backpressure much of a problem at all when I tried one at last November's get-together, and it has a lovely bark.