Do whistles really get better?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
fancypiper
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fancypiper »

My favorite whistles in order of my playing preference:

Burke AL-PRO low D
Clarke original D
Clarke original C
Burke AL-PRO low G
Burke Composite low A
Generation B flat
Burke Brass Session Pro D
Generation D
Sweetone and Meg C and D
The rest of my whistles in my box

I probably play the Clarke original D more than any other, however because I have them lying around in convenient places so I can grab one when the mood (or tune) hits.
Ridseard
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Do whistles really get better?

Post by Ridseard »

Darwin wrote:I have a Burke narrow-bore aluminum D that is much nicer in the lower octave, but it does get pretty loud in from second octave G on up. I really have to commit to playing it strongly when I do a tune that goes up into that area. I was having a problem starting a phrase on the high D note, because I wasn't tonguing the note. I can get away with that on my other whistles, but the Burke really demands a rather sharp burst of air, or else it can squawk a bit on that one note. If I try to just blow, I have to blow really hard, resulting in a very loud note, but if I tongue the note nicely, the note is clear, but not overly loud.
Are you using the correct fingering for D (oxx xxx)? A lot of whistles will let you get by with xxx xxx, but thoroughbred instruments can sometimes be picky.
whistlegal

Post by whistlegal »

I firmly believe that once you have tried one cheapie whistle and have established the fact that you can learn to play one, the next thing to do is save your pennies and buy a really nice instrument. It is so much more fun and rewarding to play when all the notes are in tune, the instrument is responsive in both registers, and the tone is pleasant. I also believe it does make a difference in how well you'll play. Quality instruments, at least in my experience, are actually easier to play. I personally play a blackwood whistle made by Chris Abell which is an absolute dream. It was $300.00, but worth every penny. I have not felt the need to look any further (cure for WhOA's??) :P and I've had this whistle for three years. I guess my theory is that you can quickly spend a great deal of money on numerous inexpensive whistles and never find one that you're satisfied with. Why not invest in one that will bring you a lifetime of enjoyment?
jenaceae

Post by jenaceae »

I'm weighing in on the Burkes. I am a newbie ( 6 months) and have a very tight budget, but have managed to get two burkes by now (x-mas and the like). There is just no reason to suffer in my opinion. Its much nicer to squeek and squawk on a burke than a cheapie. For the money ( 120-200) Burkes are in a class all their own.

CHeers

Jenn
Darwin

Re: Do whistles really get better?

Post by Darwin »

Ridseard wrote:
Darwin wrote:I have a Burke narrow-bore aluminum D that is much nicer in the lower octave, but it does get pretty loud in from second octave G on up. I really have to commit to playing it strongly when I do a tune that goes up into that area. I was having a problem starting a phrase on the high D note, because I wasn't tonguing the note. I can get away with that on my other whistles, but the Burke really demands a rather sharp burst of air, or else it can squawk a bit on that one note. If I try to just blow, I have to blow really hard, resulting in a very loud note, but if I tongue the note nicely, the note is clear, but not overly loud.
Are you using the correct fingering for D (oxx xxx)? A lot of whistles will let you get by with xxx xxx, but thoroughbred instruments can sometimes be picky.
I think the problem is that I've been trying to play it somewhat softly in a tiny office where it sounds pretty loud--especially reflected off the computer screen. If I wait till everyone is out of the house and go play out over the living room from the second floor landing, I can put a little oomph into it, and it's fine. Even the correct fingering for the D can result in an A if it's started a bit too softly, though.

Now I have the Whitecap on the Feadog barrel to play in the office, so I can save the Burke and the Dixon for the rest of the house.

The Dixon is getting steadily better, too, so it must be susceptible to training. I played it for a couple of hours today, and it finally learned to stay in the correct octave. It's becoming my favorite for Chinese tunes, because of the raspy timbre, and because it's easy to bend the notes.
jenaceae wrote:I'm weighing in on the Burkes. I am a newbie ( 6 months) and have a very tight budget, but have managed to get two burkes by now (x-mas and the like). There is just no reason to suffer in my opinion. Its much nicer to squeek and squawk on a burke than a cheapie. For the money ( 120-200) Burkes are in a class all their own.
All in all, I agree. My Burke is just plain classy. On the other hand, it's good to know what the cheapies are like, as it makes it so obvious that the Burke is worth the money. Also, even the narrow-bore Burke is a bit loud for my office, so the Whitecap-Feadog is great--and it's so easy to play.
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
Redwolf
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

jenaceae wrote:I'm weighing in on the Burkes. I am a newbie ( 6 months) and have a very tight budget, but have managed to get two burkes by now (x-mas and the like). There is just no reason to suffer in my opinion. Its much nicer to squeek and squawk on a burke than a cheapie. For the money ( 120-200) Burkes are in a class all their own.

CHeers

Jenn
Well, the trick, of course, is to learn not to squeek and squawk at all (at least not unintentionally). If one is doing a lot of squeeking and squawking, chances are the problem isn't with the instrument. I love my high-enders, but I haven't noticed that a bad note sounds any better on a Busman or an Elfsong than it does on a Generation or a Susato.

FWIW, a lot of high-end and mid-range whistles are HARDER to play well than the cheapies.

There comes a point, yes, when for a lot of us, it's really nice to own some truly fine instruments. For me, there's something really special about holding and playing something someone else made by hand rather than something that rolled off an assembly line. But I don't think that point should be all that quickly reached, and there's certainly no MUSICAL reason to hurry the process. Some of the finest whistlers in the world play Generations, Waltons, Feadogs, etc. And, much as I love my high-enders, there are times when only my growly old Gen will do.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!