A question of keys.

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
rodfish
antispam: No

A question of keys.

Post by rodfish »

Hello there everyone. I'm new at this but I think I understand enough to ask my question. I'm brand new to whistling, and have only a couple of D whistles (which I'm enjoying immensley, when I can get them away from my daughter) but I'm a bit confused concerning the different keys. I understand that the bottom note of a D whistle is D and the C is C and so forth, but doesn't that mean that when you are playing with a group in a session or something, and you switch whistles, (from one key to another) that you will have to use different fingerings for the same sheet of music? Since the fingering for a D on a D whistle is all holes closed, but the fingering for a D on a C whistle is all holes closed except for the bottom one. (I think) Doesn't that really get confusing? Or am I missing something basic here? : :boggle:
"A word aptly spoken is like apples of gold in settings of silver."
Ridseard
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Ridseard »

You are correct about the fingering, but a D whistle will suffice for almost all Irish traditional music. If you play music with key signatures other than D, G, or A, then you may need whistles in keys other than D, and you will have to change fingerings accordingly (or else use transposition, but I don't want to get into that).
skh

Post by skh »

rodfish,

check http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php?p=176758#176758, where I tried to shed some light on the mysteries of keys of tunes and whistles, and what whistle to choose for a tune in a given key. Also read the comments following mine, there are some important corrections of what I wrote. The whole thread is probably worth a read.

Does that help a bit?

Sonja
Shut up and play.
rodfish

A question of keys;

Post by rodfish »

Thank you Ridseard and Sonja. I appreciate the responses. I did read the site you recommended Sonja and it answered a lot of questions, mainly that I'm going to have to brush up on my theory a bit.

Thanks again! Now, I think I'll go order a C whistle!
:D
Rod

By the way, since this was my first posting on the PW board, do I get a free whistle to review or something? :lol:
Jerry Freeman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Here you go.

Best wishes,
Jerry
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Pay no heed to Jerry. You'll be less than charmed with that one, and he just wants to get his mitts on it so he can tweak it for you. He's obsessed that way, you know. :wink:
trisha

Post by trisha »

Has Jerry come up with a posh occupational title yet for his day job yet? I mean T'Whistle Tweaker and Protector of the Mouse :roll: could do with an upgrade to reflect the skill, knowledge, and dexterity involved.... OK, so I'm jealous :cry: .

Trisha
trisha

Post by trisha »

Oh and welcome, Rodfish :)
rodfish

Post by rodfish »

Jerry Freeman wrote:Here you go.

Best wishes,
Jerry
Ahh, I love people with a sense of humor!! Anyway, I already have one of your whistles Jerry. A "tweaked" sweetone, and I must say, it is sweet. But thanks for the thought! Actually it doesn't look too bad, except it's not my color. :D

Rod
rodfish

Post by rodfish »

trisha wrote:Oh and welcome, Rodfish :)
Thanks Trisha! (I'll try to keep up with you all.) :roll:

Rod
bjs

Post by bjs »

Does this help:

Pick up a whistle (say an F whistle) and locate its key in the top row.
You forget its key and imagine it is your usual D whistle. Now look at the music sheet and locate its key on the left (say written in A 3 sharps). Play from the written music as if you are using your usual D (so you will have to cross finger to get that g#) the result is the tune you are actually producing is in the key of (C in this example) wherever the row and columns chosen intersect.

Brian
fiddling_tenor

Post by fiddling_tenor »

I use one for my house, one for the van and another for the sedan. I have a key for the bike lock. And one for the left side of the garage. :lol:
"Put": the act of placing something in a specific spot.
"Putt": the vain attempt to do the same thing.
LeeMarsh

Post by LeeMarsh »

For folks who are wondering what is Mixolydian or what's a Dorian? And how do they relate to keys? There's an excellent article by Jos Hindriks that talks about Modes in irish music.
<A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/novairishsessi ... html">NOVA Irish Session - Irish Modes and the "D" Tin Whistle - by Jos H. Hindriks</A>

Oopps forgot this was on Geocities. YOu need to go to the <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/novairishsession">NOVA Irish Session</a> page first and then select the link to the Modes page above.
Enjoy Your Music,
Lee Marsh
From Odenton, MD.
rodfish

Post by rodfish »

bjs wrote:Does this help:

Pick up a whistle (say an F whistle) and locate its key in the top row.
You forget its key and imagine it is your usual D whistle. Now look at the music sheet and locate its key on the left (say written in A 3 sharps). Play from the written music as if you are using your usual D (so you will have to cross finger to get that g#) the result is the tune you are actually producing is in the key of (C in this example) wherever the row and columns chosen intersect.

Brian
Thanks Brian, that helps a great deeal. Did you make that chart yourself, or can I find it somewhere online? It's pretty amazing. (I'm showing my ignorance I know.

Rod
Hiro Ringo

Post by Hiro Ringo »

LeeMarsh wrote:For folks who are wondering what is Mixolydian or what's a Dorian? And how do they relate to keys? There's an excellent article by Jos Hindriks that talks about Modes in irish music. YOu need to go to the <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/novairishsession">NOVA Irish Session</a> page first and then select the link to the Modes page above.
Good page,thank you! :)