Performance Anxiety

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Tyghress
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Tyghress »

Thanks for the input, folks. On some level I know perfectly well that the only solution to this problem is to go head on through it, and at some point in my life I'll be able to sit down with other players and play without being terrified.

I just don't get why its THIS situation. Sure I do....its because its with people who can hear me seperate from the rest of the music, and people whose opinion I really care about, whose company I enjoy and music I'd like to be part of.

Okay Mike...time to give me that session info again...I'm up for a trip.

fluter_d...let's clarify....are you talking about Wesleyan University here in the states? The one in Middletown, CT? There are a LOT of Wesleyan Universities, most of them religious institutions. I'd love to meet another Chiffer if you're in my area.
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
Roger O'Keeffe
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Roger O'Keeffe »

So this thread is not about V1.@gRà, then?
An Pluiméir Ceolmhar
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

Roger O'Keeffe wrote:So this thread is not about V1.@gRà, then?
same thing... just relax... :lol:
Roger O'Keeffe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Roger O'Keeffe »

I'm due to perform ...musically... in two hours' time, and feeling wonderfully relaxed - mainly because it's just background noise for a reception, so the audience won't be paying too much attention once they get a drink in their hand.

All joking apart, I find that performing gives that little adrenalin buzz that improves my playing, when there's no audience I tend to be too self-indulgent. The biggest problem is when things are going well and my mind starts wandering, and suddenly I can't remember how many times we've played the tune.

Edited to say that what I just wrote looks poisonously self-satisfied.

The real point is that I've always regarded the music as something that I do just for enjoyment, and if someone else hears and enjoys it too that's a bonus. The sessions that I run here (insofar as they're run at all) are both welcoming and relaxed. I built up very gradually from playing just among friends to playing in our own session in a pub where people might or might not be listening. The next stage was playing background music, and performances on stage are still only an occasional thing, but the gradual build-up took the angst out of the process (that being said, I'd hate to admit how old I was before I sat in on a real live session in Ireland, and how scared sh*t I was in case I wouldn't be able to play as fast as everyone else, or they'd ask me to lead a few sets and I'd run out of tunes).
An Pluiméir Ceolmhar
fluter_d

Post by fluter_d »

Tyghress wrote:fluter_d...let's clarify....are you talking about Wesleyan University here in the states? The one in Middletown, CT? There are a LOT of Wesleyan Universities, most of them religious institutions. I'd love to meet another Chiffer if you're in my area.
Yes, that Wesleyan! I think I'll only be in CT for a day though. And then I assume we'll have to work out some sort of setlist :D. I'll let you know when I know exactly what I'll be doing.

Good luck with the nervousness. It really does get better, I promise.

Deirdre
E = Fb

Post by E = Fb »

I haven't read all the replies, but here's what I know, being a sufferer myself.

A: Don't eat or drink too much before playing.
B: Closing your eyes can help
C: If you feel a panic attack coming on, chew down a propananol pill. It's a prescription drug that's been around for ages. It reduces blood pressure and the symptoms of anxiety. I keep a supply at home and office. This drug is often used for stagefright.
Current stage of grief: Denial
fancypiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fancypiper »

I think it was about 3 years on the whistle for me before I could ever play with anyone else to my satisfaction. When the "listen or play, one or 't'other" syndrome broke for me and I could both play and listen to variations or mistakes and not have that trip me up. That was magical the first time.

Since then, I started being able to play whistle with better and better musicians without getting nervous. I even jammed with Kevin Burke with no nervousness once at Celtic Week at the Swannanoa Gathering and he even complemented me. I almost busted my buttons off my shirt that night, but I really screwed up that night that we went out and performed on stage in Asheville. I opened my eyes in the middle of my second tune and lost it. That was my first experience with whistle, an audience and a sound system. It certainly was a knee shaking experience to say the least and I got complements, believe it or not (I admit I did good on the first tune, though).

Our band has been playing in public now for almost 6 years, and after finding a place, setting up gear and tuning pipes and whistles, we have very little time to get nervous before a gig.

Now when I play in church or at a local Courthouse Ceilidh in Independence, VA, I seem to get much more nervous for some strange reason. Perhaps it's because I know most everybody in there....

Nerves are strange, but I can be sick and miserable, then do a gig and feel great until I drive home and collapse. It must be an adrenaline rush or something.
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

I can play in front of others at work, or outdoors. Even folks I know. But I freeze up when I need to play in front of another whistler, sometimes. Last night I met another board member in person for the first time - talked over dinner and a couple of pints of stout, in a nice pub (which, unfortunately, doesn't encourage indoor whistling).

When we walked outside afterwards I started to play . . . and trainwrecked. It might have been the new whistle I'd just bought from him wasn't as familiar, or the stout, but it was really just nerves. I'm not a master whistler yet, but I can sound pretty good on some of my favorites. Last night, though, it sounded like the first time I'd ever seen a whistle. Arghh!!!

Played just fine when I got home, though - I really like the sound of the Dixon Bb, especially late at night. The upper octave is mellow enough that even "The Ten-Penny Bit" sounds relaxed. When, of course, I'm not playing with ten thumbs and a tongue like a doormat. :lol:
janice

Post by janice »

Well-I had a job interview/audition for a university band conducting position yesterday. I've been at this for 20+ years, but that didn't stop me from being a nervous wreck. One of the students in the band said to me afterward,"Boy, you were really nervous, weren't you?" I told him yes, but how did he know? Apparently I had wished the band "Good Morning" at the beginning of the rehearsal (it was 4 in the afternoon). And I have no memory of this at all!

(Needless to say, I don't think I got the gig. Oh well)
Caj

Post by Caj »

slowair wrote:I have the same exact problem.

I play pretty darn good all by my lonesome when I practice, but put me with others and sometimes I'm good, sometimes I suck outloud.

The problem, I think for me, is I'm either listening to what others are playing {...}
This is not a problem at all. You should be listening to what others are playing as you play. I advise against trying to shut them out.

Often students have trouble hearing and playing at the same time, a problem curable through practice, and IMHO the better students are the ones who listen and then have trouble playing, rather than the ones who just play and have trouble hearing!

If you listen to stories about "that one guy" at a festival or open session whom others want to whack with a stick, you find they often have one factor in common: that one guy is blissfully immune to feedback. He might be a half-beat off the tempo for a few minutes, or unaware that he is way out of tune or overloud, or just doesn't notice the local unwritten rules of how the session is run, and so is unwittingly rude. "Playing in a bubble," I've heard it called here.
Wish I could say it works everytime, but it doesn't. I think I have adult ADD or something.
Well, how long have you been playing and how long you practice each day (and how much previous musical experience do you have)?
Or maybe, how many tunes do you play from memory?

A fellow once posted here that he bombed at an impromptu jam session, and felt like he just wasn't cut out to be a musician. Turned out he was only playing whistle for a few months---he probably sounded fine for someone only playing a few months! Somehow he ended up with the expectation that by that point he should have been rock'n and roll'n with everyone else.

Caj

[Oh, and regarding stage fright, my one piece advice is not to drink anything caffeinated before the performance. I suppose that's a no-brainer, but I've brainlessly sucked down a cup of coffee before a lecture more than once. I think my biggest blunders were caffeinated ones.]
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Nervous schmervous. I say, be prepared, practice,
and then if you're nervous, don't make a federal
case out of it. That's show biz.

Roger O'Keeffe wrote:
So this thread is not about V1.@gRà, then?

Zobbie responds, same thing... just relax... [icon_lol_144.gif]

At my age if I just relax, I fall asleep. Best
fancypiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fancypiper »

Caj wrote:Oh, and regarding stage fright, my one piece advice is not to drink anything caffeinated before the performance
I won't play a gig unless they furnish free coffee, preferrably with a splash of Emmett's Irish cream. I need at least two before starting a gig and a big mug of iced water handy on stage. Hot coffee during breaks.

Mmmm...

Don't give our banjo/bouzouki player any before the gig as sometimes nobody can keep up with him when he gets set on a fast rhythm. He goes into some sort of zone and getting his attention to slow it down is impossible then.
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

Although I'm not glad others seem plagued with this problem, it's nice to know I'm not the only one suffering.

I do the same thing. If I'm playing for folks who also know how to play that instrument. I find it's not so bad if it's playing for folks who are not musicians. I guess subconciously I feel like they will be more critical or something.

I do find that repeated playing of for instance, the organ at church, has calmed the nerves and I've learned to carry on through any mistakes. I finally figured out that I need to hear a played piece as a whole instead of dwelling on any slips. Did that with the drumming too. BUT, these are the instruments I have the most practice playing publicly. While I still strive for perfection, I realize that's not going to happen often.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
colomon
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

Tyghress wrote:I just don't get why its THIS situation. Sure I do....its because its with people who can hear me seperate from the rest of the music, and people whose opinion I really care about, whose company I enjoy and music I'd like to be part of.
That's pretty much the way it is for me. I get more nervous playing for one or two musicians I don't know that well but really respect than I do playing alone on stage in front of a crowd of non-Irish musicians. I think it's because at some level, I know I can wow people who don't know the music, but I'm afraid of being judged harshly by those who do.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

I read an interview with James Galway where he talks about still sometimes being nervous before he plays, and how there's no rhyme or reason to it--he may play for ten thousand and not be nervous at all, but the next day play for 30 and be edgy with nerves.

When I was studying music at NLU, I had horrible problems with performance anxiety, especially at first.

It's true that the more you do something, the better you get at it. By the end of my 2nd year, I could get just as nervous as James Galway, if not more so! :sniffle:

Having played with my band has helped so much. Also I used to play over my lunch hour a couple of times a month in the hospital cafeteria close to where I work, this does wonders for overcoming nerves.

I think the important thing is to remember that if you are well prepared you can get through it and play well in spite of the nerves.

One last thought: practice like you're gonna play. If you are going to be sitting in a straight chair on stage, practice in a straight chair. If you are going to be standing (usually I am), do your entire practice routine standing up for several weeks before you play. If there's going to be a mic in your face, even if you don't have a mic, put a music stand or something in roughly the same place so that you are used to it being there.

It does get better. Age helps, too. My nerves were worse as a young man than they are now.

--James