Tunes in Your Head?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

Colomon, what do you play with Spootiskerry? And Stephanie and Cole are doing a fine job of it.

MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
colomon
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

These days usually Dick Gossip's (AKA The Castle). Seems to me there was another tune that went with it in the old days, but I can't recall what it was.
rebl_rn

Post by rebl_rn »

I pretty much always have music in my head too. It may be a whistle tune, a song on the radio, a praise and worship piece from church, whatever. It doesn't bother me most of the time, but every once in a while it gets annoying. Like a couple of weeks ago I watched The Sound of Music and for about 3 days had the "Lonely Goatherd" song in my head. That got old very quickly and it wouldn't go away!

What's weird is when a song will pop into my head out of nowhere and then I will turn on the radio or CMT and there that song is (It happened the other morning with Josh Turner's "Long Black Train".)

Don't know what to tell you as far as how to deal with it - I've never found anything that works consistently for me. Sometimes playing or listening to something else does the trick, but not usually. The other song just comes right back.

Beth
Wash your hands. Cough and sneeze in your sleeve. Stay home if you are sick. Stay informed. http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu for more info.
janice

Post by janice »

"Earworm" is the official scientific term for having a tune in your head that won't go away...and it seems that there is a real physical reason as to why it happens.
madfifer9
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by madfifer9 »

MarkB wrote:Colomon, what do you play with Spootiskerry? And Stephanie and Cole are doing a fine job of it.
Off to California!!!

Linda S.
madfifer9
who now goes off to bed with OTC in her head
When whistles are outlawed, only outlaws will have whistles!
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

Well, in honor of Kim in Tulsa, who doesn't post here any more...are you ready, Bloomfield? :D It's a small world, after all, it's a small world after all, it's a small, small world. :D :D :D
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
SteveK

Post by SteveK »

Some of the most dramatic instances of music in the head have come after square dances where there is a live band. This has usually been at the Augusta Heritage workshop in West Virginia. After the dance, the tunes persist in spite of all efforts to stop it. It's very realistic and sometimes I've actually been convinced that the dance was still going on and I was hearing it. But that was impossible. Then there the times I've thought I've heard Cajun music at about 5:00 AM. But in that case it really was a group of Cajun musicians still playing for the dancers on the porch of Halliehurst, if you have ever been to Augusta.

Steve
Alcona

Post by Alcona »

Unfortunately, I usually get stuck with really bad tunes in my head. Like after walking through the living room while my kids are watching T.V. Cartoon theme songs are the worst! :boggle: Sponge Bob, Pokemon......Thank goodness they are finally past the Barney age!!
Birthdays are good for you;
the more you have,
the longer you live.
http://www.pbase.com/ejcsnapdragon
http://www.pbase.com/hamishcraig/jills_pics2
janice

Post by janice »

Steve! 5:00 AM! That's way past your bedtime!! :P
SteveK

Post by SteveK »

janice wrote:Steve! 5:00 AM! That's way past your bedtime!! :P
You don't really get a bedtime when Cajun musicians are playing right outside your window. Have you been there when they were carrying on? They're crazy.

Steve
McHaffie

Post by McHaffie »

That's figgin' scary!!!!!!!! Musical Priest is the VERY TUNE I am learning to play right now. Bearing in mind that I learn by ear, and I'm still brushing up on getting it down just right the way I want it... this tune is driving me insane at this very moment! :)

I'm whistling it at work, humming it, going over it, realizing I'm doing it then I just shrug my shoulders, give in to my own insanity and just keep going :D

Take care,
John
"Remember... No matter where you go... there you are..."
-Buckaroo Banzai
fluter_d

Post by fluter_d »

The moment I realised I might have a problem with the 'tune playing inside my head' thing was one night over the summer when I couldn't get to sleep. I started trying to figure out why, and in the process realised that my foot was tapping a rhythm. "That's odd", I thought.
Continuing to investigate, I realised that my fingers were also playing a tune (I hadn't realised this before then, but I think it'd been going on for a while). This was not new - I'll be somewhere there's a radio on and my fingers will 'play' whatever tune is playing - Britney Spears is SO repetitive.
Anhow, I kept checking, and only then did I discover that I was also hearing the tune (which I'd been tapping and fingering) inside my head. It was a worrying moment. More worrying still was the fact that my roommate had noticed my foot tapping for a good half hour before I realised that I was hearing a tune... :boggle:

I'm sane, I swear I am.

D :D
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

fluter_d wrote: Anhow, I kept checking, and only then did I discover that I was also hearing the tune (which I'd been tapping and fingering) inside my head. It was a worrying moment. More worrying still was the fact that my roommate had noticed my foot tapping for a good half hour before I realised that I was hearing a tune... :boggle:

I'm sane, I swear I am.

D :D
Ah, but what do your other personalities say? :D

Actually, I find that when I'm working on a problem I often start whistling or humming tunes under my breath. And the more intensely I'm concentrating the more likely I am to do it.

I believe they're reserving the padded cell next to yours for me. :lol:
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

The more stress I'm under, the more I hum or sing (I can't whistle without a fipple). My car's sliding out of control and I'm contentedly humming something like Jingle Bells. The worst, however, was when we went on a whale watching trip on a little fishing boat out of Monterey and hit a squall. The waves were HUGE! Everyone else was cowering and puking in the cabin, and I was standing in the bow singing "Greenland Whale Fisheries" at the top of my lungs. The other passengers looked at me kinda funny when we finally disembarked...I wonder why?

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

I do have the tune persistance at times. However, here lately I have been waking up going through the steps for making a whistle. Wondering where I am getting the materials etc. This is more serious than just a simple tune going through your head. What will become of me if I start doing this during waking hours?

Ron