Whistle question...

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Jack Macleod
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Whistle question...

Post by Jack Macleod »

I'm looking for a whistle that takes some air. I am a Highland piper primarily, uilleann piper closely thereafter. I just cannot get used to whistles that take so little air you can play them in a breeze. I have an "improved" Feadog (sp?) but it takes so little air I just can't play the damn thing...

Good recommendations for a whistle that sounds good and will really take a good blowin'? Would a larger whistle in a key other than D be better for air volume? I won't be playing out with it, just practicing and learning new tunes.

Jack
FJohnSharp
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

Clark Original. Takes a lot of air. Sounds okay.
meemtp

Post by meemtp »

Thin weasels by Glen Schultz are very nice, but expensive. Any whistle takes less air than GHB or flute, but these definitely make you work a tad to get a nice second octave. I happen to have one in Cocobolo, which incidently is for sale :D It's a lovely whistle, but my Michael Burke is also wonderful, and more portable in this climate, not being wood.

Corin
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

A Danial Bingamon (Jubilee) Practice low D whistle takes quite a bit of air. They even sound good too and only $18!
Last edited by IDAwHOa on Thu Jan 22, 2004 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
lixnaw

Post by lixnaw »

http://www.albawhistles.com/

if these don't take enough air, just do a few laps around the block before you play :roll:

but first, have a listen here http://www.tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/index.htm
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

Serpent Brassy Polly.

I don't consider the air demand excessive, but it does need more than the typical Generation/Waltons/Feadog/Sweetone, and it can take a lot more air than it requires if you want to push it a bit.

The sound is slightly breathy - like a Clarke with a lot more volume. This is not a good whistle for late night play in an apartment.

You can push a Syn a bit, too, but the Brassy Polly can take more pushing.
lixnaw

Post by lixnaw »

on second thoughts, what about an overton bass G? http://www.overton.de/texte/pricelist.html
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Cronnolly. They take air, and reward you with a big warm sound.

--James
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

peeplj wrote:Cronnolly. They take air, and reward you with a big warm sound.

--James
Is that with the loud head or the really loud head, James? :lol:

I should have remembered your review - didn't you say that it had about the same air demand as a flute?
TelegramSam

Post by TelegramSam »

the brassy pollys don't take an excessive amount of air, but they do take quite a bit of pressure. If you like a whistle you can really lean into, you might like the polly. they're also cheap enough that it's not a tragedy if you don't absolutely love it.
<i>The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.</i>
Ridseard

Post by Ridseard »

FJohnSharp wrote:Clark Original. Takes a lot of air. Sounds okay.
Ditto, except I think they sound very good. What annoys me the most about them is not the amount of air they take but the total lack of back pressure. Other than the sound, there's no feedback from the whistle that you are doing anything other than exhaling through a completely open pipe. Weird.
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

Ridseard wrote:
Ditto, except I think they sound very good. What annoys me the most about them is not the amount of air they take but the total lack of back pressure. Other than the sound, there's no feedback from the whistle that you are doing anything other than exhaling through a completely open pipe. Weird.
I used to think the same - now, I quite like my Clarke original for late night play (along with my Oak) but at first it drove me batty.

But as T-Sam said, a Brassy Polly has much the same sound (though louder) but needs rather more pressure (not air. pressure). For me, the real aha! moment came when I found that if I kept my cheeks tight against my teeth and tried to blow across rather than though the fipple (that's what if feels like, at least) it became much more controllable.
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Okay, get out the slings and arrows ..... what about a Susato? Mine's darned-near impossible to break notes on. Just don't play it in a session unless you're really, really good.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

Ridseard wrote:
I meant okay in a good way, not as on a scale of one to ten. And yeah, it's like blowing up a king size air mattress through a one inch tube.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Clarkes can vary quite a bit from whistle to whistle...on the most "open" there is no resistance or back pressure at all. I once heard it described as "blowing down a rain barrel" and I think that's a good description.

On the Cronnolly, both his original and his modified fipple design take a lot of air, the original being the louder and requiring more air.

The Cronnolly is a lot different than the Susato, though. This whistle has serious volume--you might consider hearing protection if playing it inside--although it is not shrill and the sound is actually fairly pure with no extra air. It also requires a well-supported air column, and it won't play well for you till you can give it one. It has some backpressure and good resistance.

Bottom line on the Cronnolly: if you get one, plan to spend some time learning breathing and support before you sound good on this whistle. Playing $10 inexpensive whistles simply does not prepare you to play this beast.

It does have its rewards, though:

http://www.flutesite.com/samples/cronnolly3.mp3

http://www.flutesite.com/samples/cronnolly2.mp3

--James