Second-Hand Whistles - Patina Mystery

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
PhilO
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Second-Hand Whistles - Patina Mystery

Post by PhilO »

Okay, so I have two topics here, but there's a smooth segue. First, I've realized that most of my very favorite whistles were purchased second-hand either directly from Board members or through Dave Migoya, as it turned out, also from Board members. What is your experience with respect to your favorite whistles? My favorites are Copeland ns soprano D (new), Copeland Low G (used), O'Riordan Traveler Low G (used), Abell blackwood Bflat/A (used), Abell delrin D (new), and Burke Black Tip D (new).

Now that brings us to question #2, as my newest favorite was recently purchased from Jessie - a really sweet Copeland brass Eflat, which I've been playing almost exclusively since I got it; I literally cannot put it down. I got this because I needed that key to play along with and learn some new tunes; I had never really thought I'd like that high a pitch and the WW I have in that key is just not good.

Someone in another thread mentioned some inconsistency with Copelands but that they are awesome when they get it right. I think buying a whistle from someone you know who has had the whistle for some time is a good bet, because Jessie, e.g., probably wouldn't have suffered less than a fine whistle.

Here's the kick. I generally, when I feel like it, shine my brass whistles up. I don't ask others to do that for me, as I'd rather do it myself. Well when Jessie's Eflat arrived, it had the most even glorious patina with no fingerprints, smudges, discolorations, etc. Now that I've had my mitts on it, there are fingerprints all around the tone holes. Conclusion: Jessie has no fingerprints and I'm calling for an investigation. While not unctious, I may very well be "oily" I guess.

Wiping the whistle down with a jeweler's cloth and skipping the 0000steel wool doesn't do it either - the prints stay and the patina goes aflay.

This is one of those small mysteries as I really don't care that much what it looks like, as long as it sounds so angelic.

Regards,

PhilO
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
chas
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I've gotten quite a few whistles from others. Some are among my favorites, such as a few Water Weasels, a couple of Silkstone Alloys, an Abell, a couple of Copelands. Phil, I just can't understand how you could let go of that Thin Weasel Bflat. It took me a couple of weeks to warm up to it, but it really is one of the finest whistles I've played.

As for the fingerprints -- have you tried acetone, alcohol, or nail-polish remover. I use acetone and methanol to remove fingerprints from things like optics or vacuum components, although if they're actually showing on the brass, it's likely that there's been a chemical reaction. Vinegar also might work, but might also affect the patina.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

What about the chance that she hadn't played it much, at least not recently?

Ah...and a huge heap of my whistles....most of them, as a matter of fact, I got used...everything from my Abell to the Silkstones, the Weasel, Grinter, O'Riordan...Rose...all pre-loved

the only new (D) ones I have are the Burke WWB, Busman, Sweetheart, and all the cheapies. The midrange ones (Dixon, Freemanized Gen...) are a mix of new and used.
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
skh

Post by skh »

I even stain nickel (Generations) and brushed aluminum (Hammy practice flute). I have no idea what chemicals may evaporate from human skin, though.

Sonja (all whistles purchased first-hand so far)
Shut up and play.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

When I was a teenager my skin etched rather quickly through the silver plating of the keys of my first flute.

Some people have skin which is more reactive, I guess.

The results were so disgusting, even to a teenaged boy, that I pretty much swore off plated instruments at that point.

Oddly enough, my Burke brass whistle develops a nice patina everywhere except where my fingers touch it while playing, where it stays nice and shiny. Go figure.

--James
glauber

Post by glauber »

peeplj wrote:Oddly enough, my Burke brass whistle develops a nice patina everywhere except where my fingers touch it while playing, where it stays nice and shiny. Go figure.
Me too, same thing.
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
Paul

Post by Paul »

Quote, PhilO,
Here's the kick. I generally, when I feel like it, shine my brass whistles up. I don't ask others to do that for me, as I'd rather do it myself.
Ditto. I also get the shiny fingerprints around the tone-holes as my brass whistles develop their patina. I use toothpaste and wet toothbrush to polish my brass whistles including a Copeland D. I like to keep them shiny. This works really great and the shine tends to hold up really well. It's non toxic and they are always minty fresh right after.

-Paul
Jack

Post by Jack »

Spelling = sucky.
Last edited by Jack on Wed Jan 21, 2004 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

Funny, isn't it Charlie? Just like I gave up the TW and you've lovingly adopted it, I've adopted others' Copelands, ABells and O'Riordans, wondering how they could let go of them. Part of what makes the world go 'round, I guess. Anyway, really glad you're enjoying it.

Regards,

PhilO :)
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
jonharl

Post by jonharl »

I use Simichrome Polish (that's the correct spelling). It's a white cream paste that will remove any stain. I use it on brass and nickle whistles and they look brand new. It even takes the mouth stain off my harmonicas and makes them look brand new. Bought the stuff at Orchard Supply Hardware here in San Jose. Can't live without it.
Good Luck,
Jon Harl
trisha

Post by trisha »

It's all down to the acids secreted through the skin which varies from time to time, and between individuals. Deposited on metals during handling, they cause corrosion.

The actual pattern of a person’s fingerprint can corrode into a metal surface (seen sometimes by gunsmiths and jewellers).

As for prevention - I don't know...hand washing just before playing or playing in gloves :roll:

Trisha
Jerry Freeman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Mittens!
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

Jerry Freeman wrote:Mittens!
Jerry, I'd pay good money to watch you play few nicely-ornamented sets of tunes wearing mittens. :lol:
trisha

Post by trisha »

See what happens when I post something measured and sensible...others are daft instead... :roll:

Trisha
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Actually, you can play in light gloves, if you cut the ends of the glove fingers off at about the first joint.

I've done it--when I was in junior high in marching band white cotton gloves were part of our uniform. I hated them; most of the other students did as well.

For what it's worth, it seems to have provided that old Artley flute I used to play absolutely no protection at all.

--James