slightly OT but not really: cats and tinwhisles :D

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Berti66
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

slightly OT but not really: cats and tinwhisles :D

Post by Berti66 »

What is it with cats and tinwhistles.
Am I the only one when playing, in NO time my cats jump on the desk and stay there? What attracts them in the sound hm?
Is it the breed? Two male maine coons :D
Other whistlers who have noticed this weird behaviour?

berti
trisha

Post by trisha »

Come on Berti...Maine Coons aren't cats as we know them. They are free spirited beasts that do exactly as they please, aren't all cats...BUT this is often in direct contrast with other cats.

I have a silver tabby Maine Coon female who spends half her life standing in the shower, sleeping in the bath, out in the rain getting wet...should have been a seal or a dolphin really. And she's whistleproof - all keys, all volumes, all notes.

Now...the enormous black moggy male will stay in his bed and pay no attention, while the young ex-feral will wind himself around my neck and around the whistle, until he sees something more exciting like a pen to play with instead (very soon, hopefully).

They all like Native American Flutes too.

If you require a cat-free zone, take up saxophone - they ALL hate it...and it doesn't sound half as bad as it did :-?

Trisha
brewerpaul
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Two of our cats are totally indifferent to whistle playing, and one HATES it. Go figure
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
emmline

Post by emmline »

Seems to have to do with pitch, also. I have one who absolutely loves soprano D's and ocarinas, but isn't too interested in my Bb or low D.
chas

Post by chas »

When I first started playing, one liked to be in the room, the other would often get into my lap and chin-mark the whistle. It was the ONLY time she would sit in my lap, and I'm not sure whether the chin-marking was a sign of affection toward the whistle or she was trying to knock it out of my hands. The novelty has worn off,though; now they're completely indifferent.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
dlambert

Post by dlambert »

The reason that they seem attracted is because they just want it to stop and they don't know what to do. Our three year old will sometimes let loose with a screaming fit. One of cats will come over and start loving on her. He just wants her to shut up. It's pretty much the same with the whistle.

One reason that I took up the flute is that the whistle is just so high and out there. You can practice the flute with the wife and kids around and not drive them totally crazy. All of you out there with forebearing families owe them a huge debt of gratitiude for putting up with the whistle. My family put up with me for three years and I guess they still are with the flute.
Paul

Post by Paul »

All 4 of our herd promptly dispatch when I break out any instrument. :sniffle:
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

Jonah-cat is totally indifferent to the whistle until I get well up into the second octave. High B is about his limit. In fact, he hates it so much, all I have to do to get him to get off the table, etc., is say "Jonah...if you don't behave, Mommy might have to play "Danny Boy"!

My old cat, Khani, however, got very excited by anything musical. It didn't matter if you were playing whistle, piano, singing, or just listening to music on the computer...she'd come running in, perch on your shoulder, and purr.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

Both our cats (alley cat sisters, they) seem very tuned in; they listen peacefully and attentively nearby to airs, sit up erect for marches, and chase about to some jigs and reels. I kid you not...

PhilO
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

Ours (a young ex-feral tabby) loves whistle. If she hears me playing, even at the other end of the house, she will come running to climb into my lap and chin-mark the whistle (if seated) or twine around my legs (if standing).

If she's outside and we can't find her, I go out on the patio and start playing - she usually comes running up before I can finish more than a couple of tunes. She appears to like high whistle more than low, too.

I think if she just had thumbs and a bit more reach I'd buy her a high G :lol:
Jerry Freeman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Jerry Freeman »

I wonder if any of this has to do with a cat's reaction to something that sounds like birds.

Best wishes,
Jerry
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

My two cats, take off and hide, or scream at me really loud to stop if I am playing any whistle D or above. The flute is okay even when I punch the upper register but foget the whistles.

But I also live in a condo with concrete everything for walls, floor and ceilings, this might be just the factor that creates to much noise for them.

Oh well, I do get to practice the flute more than the whistle, and this is a good thing.

MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Mubu the Crafty Mouser lets me know if she really likes a new tune. She'll run bonkers and go about "killing" the throw rugs, scrambling velcro-like along the upholstered chair backs, doing flips, and shooting wild-eyed looks at me to make sure I'm paying attention. Good concentration practice for me; I used to crack up laughing at that. Once the tune is no longer new, she'll just sit close by, eyes closed, and smile.
tommyk

Post by tommyk »

Okay, the five we live with:

Spot, our female Bengal, comes from anywhere as soon as I start playing whistle. She gets as close as she can and blinks at me with love. Robin (dsh male) and Mewzette (polydactyl female) run from the room as soon as I touch it (before playing). Jazpurr the happy cat (dsh female) is indifferent. She just wants to be touched, always. Swede (I didn't name him) (dsh male, former runt, current bruiser) doesn't care much unless he's trying to sleep; boy, then do I get the looks!

Mewzette (who runs from whistles) is the only one attracted to my uilleann pipe practice set. She hangs out and either wants to kill it and is looking for a chance or is falling in love with the thing. I always make sure it's in its case when I'm done!

One of our three house bunnies, Marshmallow, comes a'runnin' whenever I play anything and hunkers down as close to my feet as he can. The other two aren't interested.
- Tommy Kochel

The Knotwork Band

www.theknotworkband.com
FaceBook: The Knotwork Band
theknotworkband@gmail.com
emmline

Post by emmline »

It's not about bird sounds. Different cats have different preferences. A terrific cat I used to have loved to sit next to me when I played piano. He really seemed to like it. Nice to have an appreciative audience.