OT: Dada

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Lorenzo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Lorenzo »

You uilleann pipers shouldn't even be posting on the whistle forum. It not
only mixes everyone up, but you get mixed up yourself. For example, the
picture of Madonna was probably intended to be posted under the Post a
Genius thread, or maybe even the NRA thread. See what I mean? Now
I'm getting mixed up. :-?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Lorenzo wrote:You uilleann pipers shouldn't even be posting on the whistle forum.
Wait for K. L. Rietmann's upcoming and compelling new read (pun intended): "Uilleann Dada: the Virus Unchecked".

Beware, O whistlers. :twisted:
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Amazing.

I completely missed this thread. Must have dozed off.

Cranberry, I'm in your debt for mentioning it.

Best wishes,
Jerry Hudson Hashabiah Harglebargle Hamburger Freeman
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

DADA was the preferred tuning of Russian balalaika, until 19th Century aesthetics advocated by Russian duke Vasili Andreev, who wished to impose Trinitarian symbolism upon the three-sided folk-instrument, turning it to a 3-stringed intrument, while "upgrading" its status to that of an orchestral instrument, by introducing a full range of balalaika, from sub-contra bass to prim. Andreev's "improved" balalaika, tuned, not DADA, in the traditional manner, but GDA and CGD, respectively, first appeared on the concert stage in 1886. To this day, in Russian society, a backward hick type person is known as a dada.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

Walden wrote:...Russian duke Vasili Andreev, who wished to impose Trinitarian symbolism upon the three-sided folk-instrument, turning it to a 3-stringed intrument...
Now that's surreal.

Walden, shouldn't that post be in one of the religious threads? :D
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Nanohedron wrote:
Walden wrote:...Russian duke Vasili Andreev, who wished to impose Trinitarian symbolism upon the three-sided folk-instrument, turning it to a 3-stringed intrument...
Now that's surreal.

Walden, shouldn't that post be in one of the religious threads? :D
Actually, as you may know, Sweeney's Men were named for a king known for his balking at the Church, reflecting Johnny Moynihan's interest in religious history from a nontrinitarian viewpoint. While some aspects of this bias were later toned down, his studies in northern and eastern European music and history led to the popularity of 4-course bouzoukia over 3-course, due to his readings on balalaika symbolism, and the relations between Russian Orthodoxy and Greek Orthodoxy, and thus the symbolical interplay between the balalaika and the bouzouki. In a further nod to the old DADA tuning, the so-called Irish bouzouki were tuned GDAD, rather than the customary Greek CFAD.
Reasonable person
Walden
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

I didn't know that! Thanks, Walden. You are one of C&F's premier archivists, without a doubt. :)
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Nanohedron wrote:I didn't know that! Thanks, Walden. You are one of C&F's premier archivists, without a doubt. :)
Many Scandinavian and Russian Dunkard Brethren, a sect so named for their baptismal practice of triple immersion, fled to southern Canada, and the eastern United States in the late 18th and early 19th centuries. They eventually found a haven in Mennonite areas of Indiana and Ohio, and, to a lesser extent, in largely Freewill Baptist communities of western Appalachia. The Dunkards did not use instrumental music in worship, but made some use of the DADA balalaika, the scheitholt, and certain other rudimentary stringed instruments as teaching aids, for musical instruction. By about 1840, in Indiana, we begin to see them developing a form of what is now known as the mountain dulcimer. These accompaniments were simple, and dronal, and it was found that the other A string was unnecessary, and so, the 3-string dulcimer developed, commonly tuned dAD.

Around the time of the War, in the 1860's, John Mowhee, a Cherokee native, who had been raised in a former French settlement, came in contact with these instruments, and adapted them to a body style similar to a folk instrument he had seen as a child, known as an epinette, or epinette des Vosges. He made several of these as gifts for people who gave him lodging in his travels (See Bittersweet, Volume I, No. 2, Winter 1973). One of these people was "Uncle Ed" Thomas, of Kentucky, who desired to learn the craft of building them, and with his knowledge of fiddlemaking, incorporated an "hourglass shape" reminiscent of an elongated fiddle.
"Uncle Ed" made many dulcimers, and beginning in the 1890's introduced them into the settlement schools of Kentucky and West Virginia. The heart-shaped soundholes on Uncle Ed's dulcimers were a carry-over from some epinettes that used playing card symbols for the soundholes. It is interesting to note that these early Kentucky dulcimers had the hearts facing in the opposite direction of their modern counterparts.

In the early 20th Century, Loraine Wyman became interested in publishing the traditional music of the southern uplands, and spent time in the Pine Mountain Settlement School.

Here is the book she published in 1916. Note the mother playing the dulcimer for her children.

Miss Wyman herself was given one of Uncle Ed's dulcimers, and played it occasionally, though she preferred more conventionally harmonic instruments. Her 4-part arrangements of traditional ballad tunes made her very popular, as both an arranger and a performer. Here she is in the May 1, 1917 issue of Vogue.

It would not be until Jean Ritchie, and others influenced by her, popularized it during the folk revival, a few decades later, that the Appalachian dulcimer became a widely-known musical instrument, but dulcimorean dadaism still lives strong in the hearts of them that read my soon-to-be bestseller, The Librarian Conspiracy, from Waldco Paperbacks.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Nanohedron wrote:I didn't know that! Thanks, Walden. You are one of C&F's premier archivists, without a doubt. :)
It's about 2/3 sorta the truth, and 1/3 pure fiction, but that's as reliable as much of what passes for ethnomusicology. :D
Reasonable person
Walden
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Why, for shame, Walden! You were just 1/3 toying with my credulity, then. But I forgive you. :P

My suspicions were aroused, FWIW (which obviously ain't much :lol: ).
Norm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

hUH?

Post by Norm »

Oh GREAT, now I have to call the computer guy and have my system cleaned. Then it's off for some old fashioned excersisuism. :boggle:
"I got to get that insurance" AFLAC! :lol:
Cheers
Norm
They sit and chat and laugh n' giggle, then someone starts a lick on a whistle and it's "Katie bar the door!"
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Ghost in the machine, Norm?
Norm wrote:Then it's off for some old fashioned excersisuism.
Ah! I usually call that a drink. :lol:
fancypiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fancypiper »

googlism is working now
googlism is such fun
googlism is particularly hilarious googlism is the latest new google toy googlism is catching ^_^ googlism is quite good googlism is googlism is too fun
googlism is an internet site that uses the google search engine to gather information about the name
googlism is visiting you to see if this works
googlism is as easy as creating a web page
googlism is a completely different experience
googlism is particularly hilarious
googlism is right
googlism is right december 3
googlism is missing in action
googlism is a site
googlism is a lot of fun
googlism is quick googlism is fun googlism is the thing to use to form a quick opinion about something
googlism is doing is taking words written by individuals and corporations
googlism is a subclass of www
googlism is a sort of spin
googlism is fascinating
googlism is addictive
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Chicken grapes read vinegar with their morning breakfast.
This is not at all unusual.
Dogs and cats and crepes in the surrey;
Do: a female deer in the surrey;
Wash that man right out of the surrey, with the fringe on top!
Apes and scrapes and hens in Missouri;
Carbon paper spins in the surrey;
Fahrvegnügen bugs bog the surrey with the French up top!
Mama, dada, Count Basie surrey,
Lark and bark harvest, harvest-moon in the curry,
Never have a spoon for the curry,
Clever as a loon -- only furry,
Never bore a loom like a worry,
Loaming chroming stone in the puddle,
Never mind the mask on the Fuddle,
He'll not outwit Bugs or befuddle.
Bugs got Fahrvegnügen.

A. Walden. 1 July AD 2004.
amar