Instruments that 'irk' you?

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
Crysania
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Crysania »

meemtp wrote:What on earth is a Theremin?? I almost completely forgot, Hurdy Gurdies are nice and annoying.

Corin
Theremin: http://www.obsolete.com/120_years/machi ... index.html

It's an electronic instrument introduced in the 1920s...and is still, I believe, the only instrument you don't actually touch in order to play. Touching it actually ends the sound. You can hear it in a lot of 1950-ish era sci-fi movies (that kinda weird eerie higher-pitched sound)...and it's also in the Beach Boys' Good Vibrations.

~Crysania
<i>~`~"I have nothing to say and I'm saying it." <blockquote>-- John Cage~`~</blockquote></i>
meemtp

Post by meemtp »

I always wondered how they made that sound in those old cheesy sci-fi movies. Thanks.

Corin
djm

Post by djm »

A Theremin is one of those gadgets from the 50s that looks like a car antenna sticking up out of a box. Its sensitive to how close you come to it and interupt its magnetic field. Usually they use some sort of sine wave generator that hums at different notes depending on where you touch its field. A good example is that favourite sound effect from cheesy old horror flicks that went "ooooweeeooooo". The Beach Boys used one at the end of "Good Vibrations".

I agree it would be interesting on slow airs ... for a while.

djm
Seanie

Post by Seanie »

Hello

MACALLA were doing a rehersal in Flahertys in Dingle a number of years ago. (They were an all female band that included Mary Mac, Pearl O' Shaughnessy, Roma Casey, Edel McWeeney and about 10 others ). A didgereedoo player walked in and made like to join them. Josephine Begley (a sister of Brendan and Seamus) asked him was he selling or laying the roll of lino.
All the band collapsed in laughter and our friend slunk back out the door.

Regards

John
beowulf573

Post by beowulf573 »

meemtp wrote:What on earth is a Theremin?? I almost completely forgot, Hurdy Gurdies are nice and annoying.

Corin
An electronic instrument, used by the Beach Boys on Good Vibrations and in a <a href="http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0050301/">Jerry Lewis</a> movie which where I first remember seeing one played as a kid.

It was also used in the soundtrack to a lot of sci-fi movies from the 50's like <a href="http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0043456/">The Day the Earth Stood Still</a>.

There's a facincation <a href="http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108323/">documentary</a> out about the inventor, Leon Theremin. He was Russian and moved to the US in the 20's then was kidnapped by the Soviet government in the late 1930's and put into a forced labor camp where he developed electronic listening devices. Most folks in the West assumed he had died, but was found alive in Russia by the makers of the documentary.

Robert Moog got his start building Theremin kits as a teenager then went on to invent the Moog synthesizer.
Pat Cannady
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Pat Cannady »

Seanie wrote:Hello

Josephine Begley (a sister of Brendan and Seamus) asked him was he selling or laying the roll of lino.
All the band collapsed in laughter and our friend slunk back out the door.

Regards

John
I hope somebody bought her drinks. She sounds like a formidable person.
U2

Post by U2 »

In Clare I witnessed something I consider remarkable. I was with two notable ITM players who wanted to start a session. They poked around in five or six pubs before finding one that didn't already have a session going. The folks near the stools where they settled were absolutely delighted to see who would soon be playing beside them. The bouzouki player preferred the key of Eb and the whistle player had only a D whistle. The whistler went out on the street to purchase an Eb, and while he was gone a fellow came over with something large, covered in a home-made cloth cover. He scooped up the absent whistler's seat and enthusiastically went about talking to the bouzouki player and exposing a Thai, cane, reeded, instrument - a Khan. It plays something like a giant harmonica, but the wind is directed by covering and uncovering holes in the canes, which forces air over the reeds. The bouzouki player was very polite, but there were a few cut-eyed glances thrown from his direction.

The fellow had the instrument made to concert pitch in Bangkok, and he had been playing for ten years. He knew all the Irish tunes and he played ornaments and the 'zouki player soon fell in with him. Upon his return, the look on the whistle player's face was priceless, but he fell in as well. You couldn't have pried the guy out of that seat with a crowbar, even though the music was played in Eb from that point on. It was unusual in that the Khan player knew all the etiquette, the lingo, the tunes, everything - but charged ahead.

One very interested listener asked the fellow about the instrument between tunes and then asked "Do you think I can play it?," to which the Khan player responded, "Sure. . .if you get your own."
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Caj wrote:The session near me is a lovely counter-example to the unwritten rules. We have a full-blown 120-bass piano accordion, and the guy uses the bass buttons and everything. We usually have more than one bodhran. One fellow has a ukelele, a washboard and a pair of spoons. There's always at least three guitars. Melody instruments are usually outnumbered by accompaniment.
Sounds like a lovely slice of hell to me!! Where's the glockenspiel? :lol:
colomon
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

The Sporting Pitchfork wrote:The point of all this is that the instrument itself doesn't have so much to do with it. A talented bassist who can play with sensitivity toward the music will in all likelihood blend better than some total zipperhead of a fiddle player.
Well said. Certainly I've known players of some of the "irksome" instruments people have mentioned that I'd beg to join our session. (Spoons and hurdy-gurdy come to mind.)

Are you serious about seeing a bassoon at a session? I'm shocked to learn there's another person out there who sometimes plays trad on a bassoon. And he (or she) has played it at a session -- makes me feel like a slacker!
djm

Post by djm »

All you need now is for Mike Oldfield to drop in! :lol:

djm
kevin m.

Post by kevin m. »

djm wrote:All you need now is for Mike Oldfield to drop in! :lol:

djm
British Saxophone virtuoso and all round great man,Lol Coxhill (a vastly under-rated talent and gloriously humourous bloke) one recorded a track with the Oldfieldish title of.....'TUBURCULAR BALLS'!!!
"I blame it on those Lead Fipples y'know."
Ro3b

Post by Ro3b »

He scooped up the absent whistler's seat and enthusiastically went about talking to the bouzouki player and exposing a Thai, cane, reeded, instrument - a Khan.
I saw that guy in Milltown in 1999. He came into the back room of Cleary's and launched into the Silver Spear. Knocked everybody's socks off. He's a very nice player, even regardless of the instrument, which I remember thinking sounded like a box full of tiny flugelhorns.
Tak_the_whistler

Post by Tak_the_whistler »

ok... did anyone mention jawharps yet? actually I've no idea how they sound or played. Sort of like a kazzoo would? any sightings in a session?

>Sporting Pitchfork

You should ask some of the students in a music uni in your area to bring in a Koto! I know it's hideously massive (would take at least 5 seats) but still playable in the key of D when tuned so. :D
<><
Tak
---------------------------------------
<b>"Nothing can be yours by nature."</b>
--- Lewis
The Sporting Pitchfork
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by The Sporting Pitchfork »

The bassoon player was Gordon Mooney's wife. Gordon plays mostly Border pipes, Scottish smallpipes, and Northumbrian pipes and his wife plays flute and bassoon. Border pipes and bassoon sound remarkably good together.

Hmm...koto, huh? Might work. I've always thought that shamisen (Japanese 3-string fretless banjo) might sound delightfully twisted for Irish trad. Conversely, Junji Shirota [Japanese guitarist/banjo player extraordinaire; plays with Paddy Keenan sometimes] does great renditions of shamisen tunes on the regular banjo.

I've never met any Irish jawharp players, but Scottish piper Allan MacDonald, whom I mentioned in an earlier post, is an absolute monster on the jawharp.
SteveK

Post by SteveK »

There's an international music festival here every summer. Once one of the bands consisted mainly of Chinese instruments. A Chinese woman was playing a pipa or something very much like it. She said she jammed with Irish musicians whenever possible and whipped into a few jigs. Very nice, too. I wish I could do triplets a cleanly as she did.

Steve