Concerning Burkes . . .

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.

What type of Burke for a high D? Or another whistle entirely?

Aluminum Pro Narrow Bore
5%
Aluminum Pro Session
12%
Brass Pro Narrow Bore
19%
Brass Wide Bore w/Delrin Head
35%
Composite Session
7%
Composite Narrow Bore
No votes
Get an Elfsong!
7%
Get a Hoover!
5%
Get something else!
12%

Total votes: 43

cowtime
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by cowtime »

Brass Pro Sessions- I play it three times more than any other whistle I own( have managed to resist any more purchases for almost 2 yrs now since I got the thing!)
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
chas
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I would vote for the old-style wide-bore brass. It plays every bit as well as the newer models, and it has a more traditional sound. Evidently there were enough others who felt as I did, since Mike reintroduced it after it had been out of production for some time.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
spittin_in_the_wind

Post by spittin_in_the_wind »

My Brass Pro Session D (aka wide bore) with delrin tip just came in the mail today!

:party: :party: :party:

I have to qualify my answer by saying that one of my most hated whistles is my O'Briaian Improved Feadog...this beast I cannot warm up to; the harshness of tone makes my molars burn. So if Feadog's for you, Burke is not likely to make you happy.

The Burke (and I've played it for about 20 minutes so far in it's little lifetime) is really a pro quality instrument. The craftsmanship is top notch. It reminds me of the difference between my pro model and my student model saxophone...both play great, but the feel is totally different. As far as the sound, just listen to the sound clips that people have put up and they will give you a fairly good idea of what you will get.

Even though it's wide bore, it didn't seem particularly loud to me, but that's probably because the tone is very easy on the ears. I'm sure it could prove to be louder if you tested it with some kind of meter.

At any rate, unless you really like a "dirty" sound, get the Burke, you won't be disappointed and you can probably sell it for close to the price you paid if you turn out not to like it. This all is of course not to say that I will not someday try or buy an Overton...a well-made instrument is always a joy to play, and differences in tone are just one of the wonderful variations.

Robin
FJohnSharp
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

I just got the Brass Session Pro with delrin mouthpice. It's a nice whistle, and after a five minute warm up it's really nice--the second octave just sings and the bottom notes are pretty clean. And it's very resisant to the little squeaks and squawks when changing fingerings. It doesn't take a ton of air.

I think it's pretty loud for playing around the house. My family cringes the most when I play it. It's louder than the Oak. If you don't want to play with others I'd go for the narrow bore.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

I didn't vote because, although I have an AlPro D I like well enough and AlPro C and G I love, I haven't yet tried brass or composite. Given the outline of desirable characteristics, I'd have thought that any Burke would do quite nicely. I just have a sneaking suspicion that a Sindt might do even better. But, for a pure whistle around that price, you won't do any better than Burke or Sindt I think.
waitingame

Post by waitingame »

Bloomfield wrote:I'd get something with a bit of character like and Overton.

But don't get me wrong: The Burkes are good whistles.
For me there's only one solution a Burke and an Overton.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

waitingame wrote:
Bloomfield wrote:I'd get something with a bit of character like and Overton.

But don't get me wrong: The Burkes are good whistles.
For me there's only one solution a Burke and an Overton.
That's where it starts. Then it's Sindt, and Copeland and Thin Weasel and Busman and Abell and ....
lixnaw

Post by lixnaw »

i believe it to be an opinion if you call your favourite whistle under-priced,
and a judgement if you call others over-priced.

but i like the man who said it, he's mostly right.
Tres

Post by Tres »

Sounds like, from your description of what you want, the Narrow Bore Brass Pro is what you need. A great whistle -- super easy to play, excellently balanced between the octaves, and never ear splittingly loud like my Copeland. A great all around whistle.

Definitely one of my favorites.

Tres
Tres

Post by Tres »

deleted-- duplicate message
Last edited by Tres on Tue Jan 13, 2004 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

I wonder how many whistles.... Burke has in stock :D :D :D

MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
FJohnSharp
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

He shipped mine the next day.
emmline

Post by emmline »

MarkB wrote:I wonder how many whistles.... Burke has in stock :D :D :D

MarkB
Not many. Depends what you want. You might get lucky. I've already waited the stated 10 weeks for my nb composite D...not here yet... :(