Sindt's rendezvous with Reyburn

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Hiro Ringo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Sindt's rendezvous with Reyburn

Post by Hiro Ringo »

This is for now the best half holer's arrangement I can imagine.I have played this for about 7 or 8 hours and I found Ronaldo sent me what exactly I wanted.

I first tuned this to A=440Hz and played several common scales out of this whistle and this gave me the same feeling I have experienced on some just intonation oriented plays. This could be a weird feeling to somebody who have exposed himself to equal temperament oriented world.

Anyway,just intoned tube here!
But I am too busy with myself getting used to this new off set arrangement to enjoy just intonation atmosphere.

P.S.It was pure luck that Sindt whistle still looks good to me(or Ronaldo tried to make it look good). Many thanks to John and Ronaldo about this tube :D
Last edited by Hiro Ringo on Tue Aug 05, 2003 6:08 am, edited 7 times in total.
Jens_Hoppe

Post by Jens_Hoppe »

How the heck do you play the thing, do you use your thumbs or something? :)

Jens
Hiro Ringo

Post by Hiro Ringo »

Hi,Jens,

No, I won't use my thumb.With this arrangement, I can use my finger tips exclusively and I can get much easier/faster half hole Bb/F/Eb/G,with much more relaxed position.

Although I could not have played a single tune well out of this tube for at least two hours. :lol:

This shows that the method is going to be different from the common one.
Last edited by Hiro Ringo on Sat Aug 02, 2003 7:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jerry Freeman
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Jerry Freeman »

What key of whistle is that?
Hiro Ringo

Post by Hiro Ringo »

Hi,Jerry.

It's for the key of A.For Sindt A.
And the tube holds the ascending melodic minor A scale on just intonation.
As you know the only difference between ascending melodic minor A and major A lies on the third step.

With this scale,I can get good C natural without half holing(with this C hole I can get good in tune high G) and C# with half holing with right index finger(C# is much less important to me on ,for example, D/A/G tunes.

I have kept playing this for another several hours and now I am sure just intonation rules!! :D
Last edited by Hiro Ringo on Tue Jan 20, 2004 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hiro Ringo

Post by Hiro Ringo »

A little update with more photos.

To play anything,this hole arrangement gave the least oppressed position to my fingers,especially my thumb fingers. The least fatigued position.The best position for my glissando and half holing. The more I play,the more I have fun. This is more than I expected......

But on the other hand, I have to point out again that I had to adjust many aspects of my fingering method I learned so much as to make normal hole arrangement unplayable for me.

So this doesn't suit "WhOA" case...........Or is this the best way to stop yours?! :roll:
Hiro Ringo

Post by Hiro Ringo »

update:

A Happy New Year :)

Months passed and I happened to try again the original Sindt A tube. It was no difficult(unexpectedly!), no trouble. Although I realized keenly that normal tube made me unable to play several things I felt easy on offset tube.

Almost a part of my heart moved on to try Maurice Reviol's flute. But I endured the temptation!
:lol:
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

Happy New Year, you closet crossfippler!

I wondered about that ascending melodic minor novel idea of fingering...
until my Stratoflute showed me that if you finger a saxophone like a whistle (forgetting the pinkie low C key), this is exactly what you get:
DEFGABC#

i.e. ABCDEF#G# if transposing to Am

It makes a lot of sense... especially considering this big last hole built in your Frankensindt.
kevin m.

Post by kevin m. »

Thanks for sharing those pictures with us.I recently received my own Sindt A and am very pleased with it just as John made it( :wink: ).
Do you have any problems swapping from a conventionally holed whistle to your Sindt/Reyburn?
"I blame it on those Lead Fipples y'know."
Hiro Ringo

Post by Hiro Ringo »

kevin wrote:
>Do you have any problems swapping from a conventionally holed whistle to your Sindt/Reyburn?

I am still seeking the problems, no problems for now(I am still not sure in the future). Although I ever don't want to swap from my offset pattern to anything else.This hole arrangement gave me a sense of unity and fingering method is no more stressor.At the same time I feel a bit isolated because I am not using "qwerty" keyboard anymore(a lack of unity....a negative part).

I have taken Low D or D flute with this hole arrangement into consideration lately. :D

Zubivka wrote:
>I wondered about that ascending melodic minor novel idea of fingering...

I tried to get closer to the chromatic concept without adding another hole ,plus, tried to cover as many ITM tunes as possible. And this is my answer(completely offset ignoring normal pattern).

p.s. Take a look at those pictures and see all my fingertips direct toward the ground when I cover the holes with my fingertips(and each finger is not stretched out). It's very much efficient position for releasing the capacity of each finger.
Last edited by Hiro Ringo on Tue Jan 13, 2004 7:02 am, edited 3 times in total.
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

Hiro, the interesting thing in your approach is one can get three big, about equally spaced holes down low.

This might make the handling of low whistles easier, even with pipers' grip...

And you may be right again, one may sacrifice a bit the ease of the F#, since it's half-holed by the right index, often our most precise and nimble finger of all ten...
Daniel_Bingamon
antispam: No

Post by Daniel_Bingamon »

I made a few 11 hole keyless chromatic at one time and had a similar diagonal pattern like that.

Something that I found while doing that can be easily done with 3/4 PVC sched 40 grade tubing with a 6 hole whistle is to make the bottom tonhole on a section all by itself with a socket/tenon assembly to connect to the next body section.
The middle body section would have the next two holes with a slight offset left hand ring finger hole. Then another socket tenon to the top part of the tonebody with the remain two left hand holes.

With this design, a person can rotate the bottom hole for the best reach and then rotate between the middle and top sections so that the left ring finger hole is set for best comfort. It works well, in some cases the tenon length has to be long enough to fit properly, the hole overlap the tenon with a slot provided to allow rotation to still take place.

I'll see if I can find a picture.
Email - YouTube - Ebay - Website $28 Low-D
Hiro Ringo

Post by Hiro Ringo »

>And you may be right again, one may sacrifice a bit the ease of the F#,
>since it's half-holed by the right index, often our most precise and nimble finger of all ten...

Yes.Index finger is very nimble. :D

As you know, to me, not F#, it's C# with right index(because I use mainly A key whistle). I mainly took D tunes into consideration when I chose this tube. To play D/G tunes in A whistle efficiently.

My question is how far C# in ITM(in D) is important.What if I use C instead of C#(for example). I need much more experiences.

Daniel_Bingamon wrote:
>I'll see if I can find a picture.

I am interested.
:)
Hiro Ringo

Post by Hiro Ringo »

Now I got my backups and I should get more in the near future. :wink:

Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

Hiro, you invented a new syndrome:

W.H.O.A. (Whistle Holes etc.)

Now don't worry that Dale thinks he will rule the world by using us as lab mice.
What we know is we're actually reprogramming the planet, making the labmen think what WE want. Ralph rules Jerry, not vice-versa.
The program is running smoothly, and we already know:
1) yes
2) farty-two
3) minor harmonic
4) give it a few more Generations, ad we'll have the Final answer about Life, The Universe and Everything...