Seery or M&E ?!? (Virtual Tug-O-War)

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Denny
antispam: No

Re: Seery or M&E ?!? (Virtual Tug-O-War)

Post by Denny »

Eivind wrote:Except some silver classical keyed flute that I couldn't get a sound out of...
This could be a problem!

The similarities outweigh the differences.

Denny
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

Eivind wrote:And thanks, Jessie, for the soundclips.
I hope it's OK for me to ask a question: One can't help but notice that the Seery clip is somewhat out of tune :oops:, and the M&E comes second to that. So now I wonder, is this somehow because they are Polymer flutes, slightly cheap ("inexpensive") flutes or just because they are the two you were least used to at the moment?
A bit of both, I presume. I was not at all used to them, because I didn't like them, so I didn't play them. That said, more expensive flutes do have better everything, including tuning, than inexpensive flutes.

I also did the recordings in a hurry, and it's possible that I didn't have the tuning slides in the right places. It's totally possible to play a Seery or M&E in tune.

You know what? This thread isn't a tug of war...everyone seems to agree.
~JessieD
sturob
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by sturob »

I was most surprised, I have to throw in a comment, at how nice the Sweetheart flute sounded.

Was that the instrument you were most comfortable with when you made that recording, Jessie?

Stuart
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

I liked the Olwell best, but it (that one) belonged to my friend Terry. I was most used to the Sweet flute, as it didn't require oiling or maintenance, so it was the flute I left out on a stand all the time, and I would just grab it and play it. It is a remarkably good Sweet flute that I got second-hand. Now it is at my parents' house so I have a decent flute to play when I visit them.
~JessieD
sturob

Post by sturob »

You can hear it, Jessie. Actually, not to turn this thread into something it's not. . . but I'm going to.

This kinda proves my point about comparisons. The Olwell was probably the best flute in the bunch of 4 Jessie played for comparison. However, and arguably, the best recording is that of the Sweetheart. That's why I asked the admittedly-leading question, if she were most accustomed to the Sweetheart.

Interesting, though!

Stuart
eilam
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by eilam »

I like the M&E better.
The Seery was too bright for me, the M&E has a darker tone.
I once had a Seery thrown on me from the 31 floor, nearly killed me!

my advice: invest $20 in a helmet, and go walk in gcollins neighborhood, pray for his Patent head R&R :)
fluter_d

Post by fluter_d »

eilam wrote:my advice: invest $20 in a helmet, and go walk in gcollins neighborhood, pray for his Patent head R&R :)
LOL :D!
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Well, I still think comparisons are valuable, for what they are.

What they are not, and are never meant to be (at least by me) is an objective measure of anything. They are subjective--they are an opinion.

When you have someone like Jessie or myself who has the flutes in question, wouldn't you feel that by actually having access to the flutes we had the basis of forming an opinion about which flutes do which things better?

Well, the comparison just takes that one step further, and is often an attempt to demonstrate why we feel a flute does a certain thing well or not so well.

I started to record a comparison for this thread, but since my comparisons usually trigger firestorms of controversy--why, I still don't know--I figured it would be doing a disservice to those reading this thread who have a genuine question and want it answered: if I post a comparison, about all they'll get to read about is why a few folks think comparisons are bad.

On to the topic at hand:

I really don't think you would go wrong with either an M&E or a Seery as your first flute. Both are good.

The Seery is likely to be far more frustrating for the first several months, as it is a harder flute to fill and has more demanding embouchure and air support requirements. The M&E is more forgiving in this regard.

--James
rama
Tell us something.: flute itm flute, interested in the flute forum for discussions and the instrument exchange forum to buy and sell flutes

Post by rama »

Gus, I wonder if the flute survived the fall. It would make for great marketing for the Seery fluteworld. Eilam survived!

And that could be the ultimate test between these two flutes (M&E and Seery), the tiebreaker - throw them off a building, run them over, beat a bodhran player silly with'em, etc., and see which one lasts the longest. Survivor!

More power to ... d-el-r-i-n!
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

sturob wrote:You can hear it, Jessie. Actually, not to turn this thread into something it's not. . . but I'm going to.

This kinda proves my point about comparisons. The Olwell was probably the best flute in the bunch of 4 Jessie played for comparison. However, and arguably, the best recording is that of the Sweetheart. That's why I asked the admittedly-leading question, if she were most accustomed to the Sweetheart.

Interesting, though!

Stuart
Not to argue Stuart, but having played the Sweetheart flute in question, I have to tell you that it's unusually good....Freakishly good in fact - not at all like any of the Sweetheart flutes I've tried in the past.

I'm sure you're right: A person will likely, under most circumstances, sound best on the flute they are most comfortable playing, but in this case don't discount the flute itself, as this particular Sweetheart flute would likely astound you. Even more amusing because it's full of repaired cracks!

Loren
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

But it's still no Olwell.
~JessieD
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

JessieK wrote:But it's still no Olwell.
Goes without saying.....

Loren
sturob

Post by sturob »

Oh, sure. And I know this is hijacking the thread, but . . .

Which one we like and which one we sound better on are two completely different things. I have no doubt Jessie liked/likes the Olwell in question better than the freakishly-good Sweetheart. But the "fact" remains that, in those comparison clips, she sounds better on the Sweetheart.

There are a lot of confounding factors for those comparisons. This is an excellent case in point.

So James, if someone says they like one better, but in the comparisons a different one sounds better . . . what's the flute-comparison-listener supposed to take from that? How does that help him/her decide on a flute . . . if I were a rank beginner, and I listened to those clips, I'd have to go out and buy a Ralph Sweet flute. I'd never touch either of the polymers, and I'd wonder what the attraction of the Olwell was.

Stuart

Edited because I goofed. Why else would I edit? :D
Last edited by sturob on Sun Jan 11, 2004 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eilam

Post by eilam »

<and see which one lasts the longest. Survivor!

<More power to ... d-el-r-i-n!

TaeKwonFlute
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

Do as I say and not as I do. :)

Yes, the Sweet flute was the only one of those four that was mine. I was, therefore, most comfortable on that one.

But I don't agree that it sounds better than the Olwell. Perhaps the *playing* sounds better on the Sweet, but the *tone* of the Olwell is much smoother. I just listened to them both and I see how you think the Sweet sounds better, but that's deceiving. The Olwell is so much easier to play. That Sweet is, however, better than any M&E or Seery.

I don't have a recording studio anymore (gave that up with the first husband). Dan and I have been talking about setting one up here, but he has a really good recording engineer that he records with, and I don't feel like learning all the programming on a high-tech recorder...I'd rather buy a really nice piano, which we probably will do in the next year or so. But anyway, I *could* go into the studio and do some samples now, with quite a bit more playing time under my belt than the last time I recorded it, but it's expensive (studio time) and far away and I don't really feel like it.
~JessieD