Yahoo! DSL Speed for Dial-Up--A Review

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Lorenzo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Yahoo! DSL Speed for Dial-Up--A Review

Post by Lorenzo »

If you have a slow dial-up connection, you might try this and watch your connection speed up. All you have to do is sign up with Yahoo! DSL Speed for your current internet connection is then offered as a free trial for one week, then $3.99 p/mo for a year. "Yahoo! Groups" have a lot of nice discussion boards. http://www.yahoo.com/

If you don't want to pay $3.99 p/mo for a year, just unsubscribe at the end of the week.
Last edited by Lorenzo on Sun Jan 11, 2004 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
illuminatus99

Post by illuminatus99 »

Are you sure it's DSL? the DSL package yahoo offers is $29.99 a month for the first year. also you can't just download DSL, you need a DSL modem or router, it's the hardware that lets you connect to the DSLAM on the other end that's providing the DSL connection.

a regular phone line maxes out at about 53-56k when using a modem because it's using an analog signal from your modem to your ISP, the way DSL gets around that limitation is my running a digital signal on the line so the line is digial from the DSL modem to the DSLAM at the phone company.

while the software you downloaded may say that your connection is much faster it's really just a compression trick, try downloading some large files and you'll see that your connection isn't any faster than it was before.
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

Don't ask me how it works, but whatever I downloaded set a new icon (a satellite dish) beside her regular internet connection icon (the twin monitors) and everytime I go to a new web site, the signal now flashes through the new icon as well as the old one, which says 195Kbps right now...that varies though. Sometimes it says 180, other times 142. Her regular dial-up speed remains the same and still says 44.0 Kbps. Whatever, the pages online are loading a a lot faster, including pictures, music, etc.

I don't think I'm imagining things, try it...it's free for a week. The offer was made while signing up for Yahoo! Groups. I couldn't find a seperate sign-up for DSL on Yahoo's home page, other than the one you mentioned for $29.99 p/mo, so you may have to join a Group to get the special offer.

If you figure it out, let me know.
brownja

Post by brownja »

DSL does not work with a conventional modem. It uses different equipment. Some dial-up isp's are using new compression technology to speed up connections.
That's probably what you're looking at.
Can she use the phone at the same time? DSL does not tie up your voice phone line.
Regards,
jb
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

No, the phone doesn't work at the same time. That's something I also wondered. I just asked my brother what's going on, he's a computer tech guy, and he says there's some trick Yahoo is using, in fact some places may even offer this kind of thing for free. We thought it might be some divice you download that recovers a page more quickly that you've already visited, kinda like the memory in your computer.

I'm still a little puzzled about the increase in speed though, it definitely did speed things up. If I place the cursor on the new icon, it either shows the speed, if it's flashing, or if it's idle, it says "Proxyconn: Effective Speed broadband" whatever that means.

You're probably right, it's likely some compressed technology. I'm having fun testing this thing anyway! :D
brownja

Post by brownja »

I think it uses a combination of compression and pre-fetching.
Pre-fetching is starting to download pages from links on the page you're reading BEFORE you click on them. Then when you click on a link on a page, it's already partially downloaded. Of course, this only works if there's a managable number of links on a page, but for some kind of content, it works very well.
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

Is it possible that Yahoo is rerouting everything through it's own high speed system?
brownja

Post by brownja »

Lorenzo wrote:Is it possible that Yahoo is rerouting everything through it's own high speed system?
Everything comes through their system anyway. At least the last part of the trip. But you're right, one part of their high speed dialup servoce could be caching proxies.
The problem is the "last mile" from the phone company's central office to your house. There's not too much they can do about that if you're on dial-up.
Earthlink and Net-Zero advertise similar higher speed dialup.
jb
AngeloMeola
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I haven't been active on the site for years. I'm busy raising grandkids so I don't get out to play much.

Post by AngeloMeola »

Lorenzo wrote:Is it possible that Yahoo is rerouting everything through it's own high speed system?
It is possible that Yahoo is caching frequently accessed pages on its own server thereby reducing the number of hops to get the information. I got a cable modem 6 years ago and usually download at 2400 kbits per second. It can slow down to 1500 when traffic is heavy. I haven't looked into speed up techniques since.

One technique I remember is parallel downloading. The software makes multiple connections and each downloads part of the information. It is cached at the server closest to you so you always get the optimum speed from there to your computer.

Nothing will do as well as a faster connection.

Angelo
Eat well, drink well, laugh loud and often.
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

Okay, here's the scoop...I went back through the computer's history to find the sign-up pages: http://www.proxyconn.com/best.asp

DSL SPEED FOR DIAL-UP®

Hundreds of thousands of people enjoy the benefits of Proxyconn's innovative "DSL Speed for dial up" technology. It delivers near broadband speed at a fraction of the broadband price!

Start using it in just 5 minutes! Try it FREE for a week, and see. After that only $3.99 per month (12 months prepaid) or $5.95 monthly. This price is for the new customers only.

"... Proxyconn can deliver Web pages to your screen significantly, palpably and thrillingly faster while using the modem, browser and Internet service you already have." -NY Times, 04/10/2003

You get even more.

Convenience. Because you keep your ISP for Internet access, that means you can keep your current email address, plus any other benefits your ISP may offer. It sets up in just 5 minutes. Unlike, say, cable, there's no special equipment to install, no installer visit, none of the usual broadband hassles.

Download Accelerator. It features a built in, transparent download accelerator in order to increase reliability and accelerate downloads. Moreover, it resumes interrupted downloads from the point, where they were interrupted, allowing you to download very large files.

Ad Blocker. It deletes most banner ads. It stops those annoying automatic pop-ups and pop-unders, too. Ads and pop-ups are blocked in your browser and in many popular applications, such as Kazaa, Morpheus, iMesh, Gator and others. Adware popups are blocked too!

Privacy & Security. It enhances your privacy and security, making almost impossible for advertisers to track you on the Web. It hides your IP address from the web sites you visit. It even blocks many types of spyware, that you may have on your computer.

HOW IT WORKS
It connects your computer to our super fast network.
It caches images and graphics for faster retrieval from the sites you visit.
It compresses the bitstream, so pages download faster.
It optimizes Internet settings of your computer.

OUR CUSTOMERS LOVE IT!
"The results I got were outstanding to say the least. The speed at which I go from page to page and site to site was just amazing. What used to take minutes now takes only seconds." -Don Stevens, House Springs, MO
More Unsolicited Testimonials

TRY US.......
Have the software downloaded and running on your Windows computer in just five minutes.

You don't need to change your ISP or install additional hardware. It works with any Windows 98, ME, XP or 2000 computer, and any type of modem.

Experience lightning-fast speed. Enjoy the Web without annoying banners ads and pop-ups, for up to a week, on us. Feel like you're "breathing in" websites, not having to wait for every page.

If you're not 100% satisfied, just visit this site again and cancel your subscription and in 2 minutes be back to where you are now.

Ready? Click below to get our No-Risk Trial page.
* Credit Card is required. Credit Card is not charged, if the service canceled before the end of the trial period.

Copyright © 2001-2003, Proxyconn, Inc. All Rights Reserved
OutOfBreath

Post by OutOfBreath »

It's just a compression gimick -- i.e. software bells and whistles. Most ISPs offer it free, now.

If you're surfing normally some sites can be very fast because of the pre-fetching and compression. If you're downloading large files like huge images or MP3s (which are already compressed and which likely aren't going to be pre-fetched) there is no noticable difference.
John
-------
The Internet is wonderful. Surely there have always been thousands of people deeply concerned about my sex life and the quality of my septic tank but before the Internet I never heard from any of them.
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

OutOfBreath wrote:It's just a compression gimick -- i.e. software bells and whistles. Most ISPs offer it free, now.

If you're surfing normally some sites can be very fast because of the pre-fetching and compression. If you're downloading large files like huge images or MP3s (which are already compressed and which likely aren't going to be pre-fetched) there is no noticable difference.
Images are usually delivered at poorer quality, so there can still be a speed improvement.

Kevin Krell
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

Juno (which owns Net Zero) offers this service for like $10 a month. I have not bitten that bug as of yet. I have plenty of other things to do while waiting for downloads to complete. MAYBE once or twice a month it would be nice to have the faster speed, but not too often. I am waiting until true DSL comes to my neighborhood before I get excited.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

I just uninstalled this Proxyconn "DSL Speed for Dial up" from my sisters's computer. Not only were photo images less clear, some thumbnail images never even appeared, like on eBay, and it didn't seem reliable with other web sites either...vague and mysterious things. The compressed feature did speed things up a little but the trade-off wasn't especially good.

I think I'll change the title to this thread. :oops: