What whistle do you play the most?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
burnsbyrne
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by burnsbyrne »

1. Gen D brass tube with a Hoover whitecap mouthpiece
2. Dixon high D (brass tuning slide)
3. Sindt D that I've had only two weeks and I am still getting used to. Playing it is really no harder than the other two, although it's different. I am mostly getting used to the increased weight and different balance point. BTW, I surfed into a TV program featuring the Chieftans last week and they did a close-up of Paddy Moloney pulling out a Sindt. It sounded great when he played it.
Mike
Jack

Post by Jack »

Generation Nickel Bb
Last edited by Jack on Thu Jan 08, 2004 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
FJohnSharp
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

Hoover Whitecap on a Gen brass tube until...
Burke Brass Session Pro D I just got a week ago.
Hoover whitecap on a Gen Bb nickel tube
slowair

Post by slowair »

The most would be my Sindt D, followed by my Sindt A (thank you Andrea)for slow stuff.

I play both in the bedroom each day for practice and twice a week in session.

I also have a Dixon tunable D with brass tuning slide that stays in my jacket pocket for those times when I'm out and about and find a nice spot to play.

But there is a new whistle on the horizon and wouldn't you love to know what it is? Guess you'll have to wait until the next time this question rolls around. :)

Mike
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

My beloved Abell Madagascar Rosewood d.

I wonder how many times I have types the above phrase. I have the same answer every time this question is asked. :)

But actually, I mostly play flute.
~JessieD
pixyy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Just updating my profile after 16+ years of C&F membership. Sold most of my flutes, play the ones I still own and occasionally still enjoy coming here and read about flute related subjects.

Post by pixyy »

Overton Low F, Overton mezzo A, Sindt D (with feadog body).
These are the whistles that are within easy reach always, but I mostly play flute.

Jeroen
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Lately I've been intentionally rotating whistles to try to keep the wooden ones all in playing shape. The one whistle that I think is the absolute best is the Thin Weasel E in mopane. Glenn really outdid himself with that one. The two that I've really been enjoying are by Ted Wilson (just an overall fine whistle, too bad he couldn't keep the quality up) and Chris Abell. I had been underwhelmed by the Abell, so hadn't played it much for some time, but it's got a nice traditional sound, perfect balance across the octaves, and it's just SO easy to play.

I'm another flute convert; I've been playing mostly my Bleazey boxwood flute lately.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

It's a tie between my Busman and my Elfsongs. I tend to play the Busman when I practice during the day and the Elfsongs in the evening, when everybody's playing video games (so it's too loud for the Whitecap but if I play something TOO much louder I hear "Moooom! Can ya keep it down? I'm trying to concentrate here!").

When I'm out and about, what's in my pocket varies between my Whitecap, my O' Briain improved and my ancient Feadog...just kind of depends on who I feel like playing today.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Pat Cannady

Post by Pat Cannady »

A brass Clare one piece D with a green top I bought for less than 4 Euros in Dublin.
glauber

Post by glauber »

Most often played, right now, aluminum Syn.
Favourite whistle, still the Water Weasel.

g
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
Rick Davidson

Post by Rick Davidson »

A Dogwood Busman is what I play the most. It feels the most comfortable and has a special wood character in the sound I like, with really nice deep, rounded, stable, notes. I also like the sound the most.

The second most is a Burke Brass "D" with a Black Tipped Fipple. It has a beautiful clear bell tone across all the notes. Did I say it sounded beautiful. I like the sound almost as much as the Busman, but I like the feel of the Busman better, even though the Burke feels nice.

The third most is Clark Celtic and Clark Sweetone Whistles that I seem to have laying about, but the more I play the other two, the more I play the other two.
fiddling_tenor

Post by fiddling_tenor »

Dixon high D
Cook Low D
"Put": the act of placing something in a specific spot.
"Putt": the vain attempt to do the same thing.
cquick
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Whistles most played

Post by cquick »

Around the house: Laughing D (Herbison) (it's fairly quiet)(This one travels most everywhere with me as it collapses for portability)
In Sessions or public: Burke Al Pro D

Chuck
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Burke Alpro D. I change keys sometimes to get a different perspective. Then I play a Burke Alpro E or a BrassPro C.
Switchfoot

Post by Switchfoot »

Current Favorite: Serpent Village Smithy (thanks fenguin!)
All Time Favorite: Elfsong in D :D