How do you learn new music?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.

How do you learn new session tunes?

By ear
19%
By sheet music
17%
Some by ear, some by sheet music
59%
By sheer luck
2%
What's a tune?
3%

Total votes: 63

cyberspiff

How do you learn new music?

Post by cyberspiff »

Just wondering how people go about learning sessions tunes...
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, you'll be a mile from them, and you'll have their shoes.
--Jack Handy Deep Thoughts
illuminatus99

Post by illuminatus99 »

sometimes I'll hear a tune I really like and then look it up and learn it from the sheet. other times I'll hear a tune over and over and eventually will just start playing it slow at first and then building up speed.
I whistle
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by I whistle »

I tend to use both sheet music and my ear when learning a new tune. I think the years of piano and guitar lessons have made me need the visual. The tin whistle is such an expressive instrument that lately I have been trying to kick the visual habit and go more by ear and feel.
Redwolf
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

With me, it's whichever method is handy. If I see a tune in a book that looks interesting, I don't wait until I can find a recording of it to learn it. Likewise, if I hear a tune I like, I don't wait until I can find the music for it to learn it.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
dDave

Post by dDave »

Howdy,

As a rank beginner, I am dependant on both for the same song. I need to hear the song enough times to "burn" it into my memory, and then I need to try to fumble through the sheet music.

Funny thing is that somes songs I can remember after playing them just a couple times, and then I don't need the sheet music. Others, I can't seem to memorize for the life of me.

Best,

Dave
chas

Post by chas »

I don't do too many session tunes, but if I hear something I like, I start by ear and often have to fill in with sheet music.

Most of what I play these days is from old texts, though, so I have to use sheet music.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

only with the greatest of difficulty
srt19170

Post by srt19170 »

I use both when I learn a tune. By ear I have to learn what the tune is supposed to sound like; I use the sheet music to understand the basic framework of how to get that sound from my instrument; I then return to the music to polish and complete my learning of the tune.

I'd like to be able to learn entirely by ear but so far at least I can't. I get a little annoyed by players/teachers who are religious about learning by ear. They'll say "Anyone can learn to play by ear" but that's kind of a self-fulfilling prophecy. Obviously only the players who can learn by ear say that, and they tend to discount/drive away those who don't, so obviously all the ones who are left can learn by ear. And maybe everyone can learn to play entirely by ear, but for those of us who have come to playing music late in life and have many other competing passions, it isn't always practical.

In the end, if you play the music well and with respect for the culture that surrounds the music, what does it matter what road you followed to get there?

-- Scott
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

When I want to learn a tune, I listen to it a few times and then figure out the ABC notes of it, write them down and practice by myself (if the melody and rhythm are already in my head, which they should be). When I get up to speed, I practice along with the recording.
~JessieD
LeeMarsh
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by LeeMarsh »

Ear, Eye, Fingers, and Heart
  • First, the tune comes by Ear and Heart. I have to hear it. The more often the better. It's at this point that the tune hooks me, it gives me something I can connect to on the inside.

Second, by Eye and Fingers. I usually find the notation to learn and memorize the bones of the tune. Get my stupid fingers up or down in the right order.

Third, Heart, Ear, and Fingers (live or recording) to learn a couple of setting of the tune. Hearing how different folks play it at different times lets me become more comfortable with the available ornaments that can be included or omitted to fit the venue and moment of play.
    Make the tune truely mine, adding it to my general vocabulary. Also I always have to listen to what and how I'm playing any tune. Alway matching that against whats inside: tune memory, tune feel, my feelings in general and for the tune.
Enjoy Your Music,
Lee Marsh
From Odenton, MD.
OutOfBreath

Post by OutOfBreath »

Slowly, very slowly...
John
-------
The Internet is wonderful. Surely there have always been thousands of people deeply concerned about my sex life and the quality of my septic tank but before the Internet I never heard from any of them.
Pat Cannady

Post by Pat Cannady »

I do it by playing multiple sessions a week, often with the same people, listening both in and out of sessions, and daily practice. As much as possible, I try to use my ears rather than abcs or dots to learn new music. To augment my ear learning, I record tunes with a digital device and use slow-down software. I spend time with older immigrant musicians, trying to pick up their tunes and nuances.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

CDs and tapes
burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

Like many others I use both dots and ear. Sometimes I see the dots first, sometimes I hear the tune first. But I never go completely with only the dots. I think it's important to be able to sing, hum, or otherwise produce the tune with your mouth before learning it**. Once the tune is in your head all you have to do is learn where to put your fingers. (I hyperbolize to make a point) The dots are real good for learning where the fingers go.
Mike

**One of my brothers was able to belch the ABC song when he was a teenager. This method is not recommended by Ms. Manners.
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

Ditto the above post. But most of all...listening until I can lip whistle the tune, then it's mine.

MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.